Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

troubleshooting headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
troubleshooting headlight problems

i posted about a problem that i had with my headlight not going down about a week ago. mischief told me to check the headlight module being bad and not the headlight motor itself. but is there any way i can troubleshoot to see if it is one problem and not the other? i dont want to pay 60 bucks for a headlight module and have that not be the problem, especially seeing as how im low on money as of right now.

any help is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
-brian
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: have a 92 camaro rs...in pieces
Engine: none now...probably 383 stroker
Transmission: none yet
Axle/Gears: none
Re: troubleshooting headlight problems

Get a schematic and a voltmeter and check for power to both... Should give you an idea... If u got power to one n not the other... Then theres your answer.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

alright, spent about an hour out there checking everything and heres my findings:

took apart the harness for drivers side light, found that one wire was broken (may have been reason for why the fuse blew 3 or 4 days ago), i repaired the broken wire. 12v power at rest is supplied to the passenger motor, can put a volt meter on each prong of the harness and find the 12v's. on drivers side motor, 12v power only shows up when volt meter is one one prong, and the other directly to ground, when on 2 prongs, no voltage is shown to be present.

took alligator clips and jumped from power supply side of passenger harness to motor side driver's harness and received no notice of power. did opposite and same conclusion.

put volt meter on module, showed power present.

seeing as how a wire was broken and that appears to have shorted the system enough to blow a fuse, im wondering if it had the power to blow out a motor or something else seeing as how it is 12v. the motor worked erratically the day that the headlights wouldnt go down and i noticed the tail lights werent working either.

when we checked the module it had power, but it did not flip the voltage to lower the motor down it seemed. but when the motor from passenger side was connected to the driverside using alligator wires, the motor did not move either.

i am not very good at electronics but it almost appears to me that the motor is bad, anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

any ideas?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: have a 92 camaro rs...in pieces
Engine: none now...probably 383 stroker
Transmission: none yet
Axle/Gears: none

on drivers side motor, 12v power only shows up when volt meter is one one prong, and the other directly to ground, when on 2 prongs, no voltage is shown to be present.
U might have a bad ground there... depending on where the ground location is...

Seeing as how a wire was broken and that appears to have shorted the system enough to blow a fuse...
I'm assuming u replaced the fuse....

U do these tests with loads on the motor/module?

Ive only been in school a few weeks... so electronics is new to me... But i would say, a schematic that shows u all the wires (and/or motors,relays fuses,etc) that are involved with the light circuit would help.... Then starting from the power side and workin your way around doin voltage drops could help pin point the exact problem.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

i am not too sure if ill be able to get enough room to check the voltage drop on anything. when i originally checked the motor the screw handle on top was like cocked on an angle and kinda hard to turn. im kinda wondering if the motor like siezed a bit, then when it got power it shorted the wire or something like that
Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Get a 1987 Firebird Service Manual new from Helminc.com or used on eBay. The service manual lists the wiring schematic and trouble shooting info. In the meantime, if you've checked all your wiring and replaced your fuses, one more fuse to check, the TAIL LIGHT Fuse. That can cause the symptom you describe assuming that all the wiring including grounds and fuseable links are good.

Lon
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

ok i'll get a book...and are there fusible links on these headlight motors? i wouldnt have thought that there would be, but that would definately be a problem if there is one