Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 5.0 HO L69
Transmission: 700r4
Re: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

Just put a B&M shifter in my Z28. While replacing the shift cable, I found the old cable was held on by bailing wire. It was wrapped tight into the groove that the C clip should have been in. Surprised it didn't fall off.

Last edited by Steve86TA; 02-18-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: profanity filter
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt

OK I'm responsible for a couple of stupid things lol. For starters, we all know that ultra rare front gfx piece from the 91-92 firebirds right? Well my car (1991 Trans Am convertible) had a broken one (probably from PO hitting curbs) so I secured it with a couple of zip ties to keep it from flapping around lol.

Another one is a few months ago, I removed/reinstalled my front fenders and didn't use all of the fasteners since I knew that I was gonna tear the car apart soon anyway. I only used a couple of screws on the passenger side inner fender. However driving 80 mph on the highway to a friend's house tore the front of the inner fender off and it was rubbing against my tire for at least a mile. I felt the car pulling to the right so I pulled over and found my inner fender half melted from the friction and almost completely ripped off. I tucked it back into the fender and crawled to my friend's house which was fortunately pretty close. He gave me some self-tapping roofing (or siding... I dunno lol) screws and I used those as a temporary fix.

Here's a picture of the damaged inner fender:

Name:  0206101423.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  24.2 KB

Fortunately I'm currently in the process of restoring my car so I can fix these "ghetto fixes" the right way haha.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird
Engine: carbed 305

ok, just thought i would add to this. friday night, i was working (resturant), it was midnight and i was finally done. i went to pull my saturn SL2 5spd up to let it warm up b4 my long 5min ride home. i drive it foward and i heard grinding. i was happy because i thought my exhaust has finnaly rotted out, so i could redo it how i wanted(side exit). look under my car and the left gas tank strap was hanging on the ground on the front side. I grab a long bungie cord and run it under my car and connect it to itself behind my front seats. the next day i jack my car up drill a hole in each side of the rotted out strap and run a large zip tie through each side.lol. DONT worry, this spring ill redo it and a few other things
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 87firebird305V8
ok, just thought i would add to this. friday night, i was working (resturant), it was midnight and i was finally done. i went to pull my saturn SL2 5spd up to let it warm up b4 my long 5min ride home. i drive it foward and i heard grinding. i was happy because i thought my exhaust has finnaly rotted out, so i could redo it how i wanted(side exit). look under my car and the left gas tank strap was hanging on the ground on the front side. I grab a long bungie cord and run it under my car and connect it to itself behind my front seats. the next day i jack my car up drill a hole in each side of the rotted out strap and run a large zip tie through each side.lol. DONT worry, this spring ill redo it and a few other things
Side exhaust on a Saturn?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Well the jokes on you buddy. You didnt find something ghetto, you committed a ghetto.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

the next day i jack my car up drill a hole in each side of the rotted out strap and run a large zip tie through each side.lol. DONT worry, this spring ill redo it and a few other things
A zip tie....temporary.....until spring.......sounds semi-permanent to me! You realize you now have a few mm's of plastic routed through jagged metal holes holding up a good sized bomb under your car now?

I have nothing to add in regards to side exhaust on a saturn.

Please return your tools, F body, and man card .

I'm sorry if I come across as a smartass, but I just spent a day cleaning up more ghettoness on the front clip of my car that could have been solved with $5.64 of fasteners the first time by the idget who put it on- please understand my frustration with one admitting to adding some ghetto to his own ride.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Now now guys. Lets be respectful........ Side exaust? You cant be serious. Prove us wrong, take a picture and post it. We will be waiting......
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 355 4 bolt main
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.73

Originally Posted by 88TransAmFreak
I'm curious, as our cars are getting older and people just don't want to invest the money into "fixing it right"

What are some of the goofy things you've found done that the PO ought to be hung for?

My firebird was in pretty good shape when I bought it, but my Corvette had the throttle cable assembly rigged up with speaker wire and the engine shimmed with huge washers (bad frame) when I bought it

I've heard stories of owners pulling carpet and finding a floor patch made of an old metal sign or even wood.

Anyone want to share their experiences
A 2x6 piece of wood under my battery covering the rusted out battery box area.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I had the common clothes hanger wire holding up my passenger side exaust pipe at the rear.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 PM

I just bought my 1990 RS from topeka KS i live in omaha NE so yeah on the drive home the rear hatch keeps popping up and the 4 inch harwood hood keeps popping up naturally had no time to check then. get it back and the whole front and rear lock assemblys are ZIP TIED TOGETHER. im not done yet lol THE Front clip is all black underneath a black bra I opened the bra to find the body panels dont match up im so pissed at the PO i wanna drive back and punch him in the face. THE HOOD WAS HELD ON WITH WOOD SCREWS!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 PM

MY 1990 RS i discovered a 2x4 also under the front headlight clip holding up the molding LMAO what is up with the wood thing????????
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 90camaro420
I just bought my 1990 RS from topeka KS i live in omaha NE so yeah on the drive home the rear hatch keeps popping up and the 4 inch harwood hood keeps popping up naturally had no time to check then. get it back and the whole front and rear lock assemblys are ZIP TIED TOGETHER. im not done yet lol THE Front clip is all black underneath a black bra I opened the bra to find the body panels dont match up im so pissed at the PO i wanna drive back and punch him in the face. THE HOOD WAS HELD ON WITH WOOD SCREWS!!!!!!
I think your hatch keeps on popping up because the key cylinder is turned to far to the right causing the lock mechanism not to close completely. So with every bump, the latch pops because it is not fully engaged. Use to happen to mine so I pulled out the lock cylinder shaft and bent it clock wise. Another solution is WD40. Your suppose to lubricate the inside of the locks periodicly.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 350 5.7L Carb'd
Axle/Gears: Disc 2.77

i found this today while trying to figure out why my gas gauge doesnt work right, arent the twirled up pipes supposed to go to something, even though i have a carb and a seperate fuel pump?

Name:  SANY2909.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  45.0 KB

Last edited by Steve86TA; 02-18-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Textbook example of a hack job.

Last edited by Steve86TA; 02-18-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Car: 1971 Camaro

Originally Posted by musclecar70sfan
Textbook example of a hack job.
Which part, the butchered fuel lines or the floor peeled open like a can opener?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: Slushbox
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by 88TransAmFreak
Which part, the butchered fuel lines or the floor peeled open like a can opener?
I would think the combination of the 2!!!!

I have bought so many 3rd gens and they all had the same common MISTAKES "rig jobs etc." COOLING FAN rewiring why why why why why there is absolutely NO REASON to hack up a harness as most do! there must be a specific school that only teaches how to butcher a harness!

Lastly, the trap door mod lazy lazy lazy people! Its a cool idea but GEEEEEZ can we think about doing it clean afterall that is the floor above the rearend STRESS POINT reinforce that sucker and make it cleen if you are too lazy to do it the correct way!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Car: 1971 Camaro

Originally Posted by 92droptopws6

Lastly, the trap door mod lazy lazy lazy people! Its a cool idea but GEEEEEZ can we think about doing it clean afterall that is the floor above the rearend :
I don't get the "trap door mod" because it takes just as much time to build that floor, and access the area as it would to drop a fuel tank.

I mean how often do we need to get to that area?? It's been my experience that after the first time of dropping the fuel tank and changing bolts out with new ones......the 2nd or 3rd time is a charm.

I can drop the fuel tank in my corvette in 15 minutes and not break a sweat. First time killed me because everyhting was greasy and rusted together.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Haha I was referring to both the hacked floor and fuel lines. XD
But the hole in the floor is useful if your thirdgen is a daily driver. I've heard people welding little doors there so if your pump dies on you, you can change it in 30 minutes on the side of the road. The door makes it less of a hack job and its functional too.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans AM GTA 1989
Engine: 383 HSR AFR195 JRC Cam280/286
Transmission: T56 Conversion
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9bolt

in the t/a i recently bought , i've found several funny things:

- a 9mm bullet
- condoms (billy boy & FF , produced in 1994 )
- 12volts electric shaver by "Braun"
- one woman's shoe
- toothbrush (unused)
- some toothpaste
- a bunch of meds (preowner was a pharmacist) : sleeping pills, pills against depression, pills for people who are afraid of flying / sea sickness etc
- a ticket holder from miami dade police department
- some pepper spray
- some DM-coins (former currency in germany, before the euro)

i think that's it
Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI

Originally Posted by 92droptopws6
Lastly, the trap door mod lazy lazy lazy people! Its a cool idea but GEEEEEZ can we think about doing it clean afterall that is the floor above the rearend STRESS POINT reinforce that sucker and make it cleen if you are too lazy to do it the correct way!
Found that done to my TA as well...

Name:  DSCF2352.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  84.0 KB

Crappy wiring job (sorry for the blurry pic) PO used butt connectors like the twist on kind.

Name:  DSCF2355.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  58.1 KB

Oh, and duct tape, every where...

Name:  DSCF2354.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  DSCF2353.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  DSCF2253.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  84.2 KB

A hose coming out of the windshield wiper fluid...

Name:  DSCF2272CROP.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  62.2 KB

Lastly, the PO painted part of the carpet red...

Name:  DSCF2342.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  92.2 KB
Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Trans Am GTA
Engine: tpi 305
Axle/Gears: 3.23?

Originally Posted by '85_Tribute
Found that done to my TA as well...

Crappy wiring job (sorry for the blurry pic) PO used butt connectors like the twist on kind.

Oh, and duct tape, every where...

A hose coming out of the windshield wiper fluid...

Lastly, the PO painted part of the carpet red...

Wow 85 tribute, that is the most Ghetto 3rd gen I've seen in a while. It makes my 89 GTA with fishing string on the spoiler, spraypaint touch-ups and turbo emblems on both sides seem insignificant. Who buys these cars just to be "Ghetto Fabulous", let's all class it up a bit.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6 MFI
Transmission: MD8 Hydra-Matic 4L60
Axle/Gears: Standard/3.23

Geeeeeeez. regarding '85_Tribute &wwwyzzerdd's posts, man. . .classic examples of PO's that should of kept their damn hands out of the car. Do it right or don't do it at all. . .

I had the same exact radio wiring job. . .said screw that and had it done at Best Buy- They did a good job. Set me back $40 or so, but small price to pay. . .
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM

the other day i was hooking up my radio and found out that my speaker wires are bad so in the mean time instead of driving without music again i hooked the radio up to 2 home entertainment speaker and everytime i hit a bump my radio goes out because i took the radio pod out for the time being because its cracked.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

This is a 1982 Camaro. I dont know were to start. The engine had bread ties to hold the dip stick in place,Because the crank case pressure was mind blowing the motor was "rebuilt", busted piston ( I had to pull a head off to see that little gem) All the wires were cut "(read butcher job). The rear deck lid latch has the auto pull down locked in the down pos by self tapping screws It does close but I have yet to re wire it up to see if it works right ( I will get to it ) The allow rims have been painted with krylon, As well as some of the body. I could go on but you get the point. I am now in the restore mode as I just got the new engine in and running. And I got most of the electrical done. Still have a long way to go. I have time to do it as I was and am laid-off from my job.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by musclecar70sfan
so I secured it with a couple of zip ties to keep it from flapping around lol.
OMG dont get me started on that. I know that sometimes you have to as a stop gap, But the people that I got my 82 camaro from used those as nuts and screws for most of the car.

Last edited by Steve86TA; 02-18-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Car: 89 firebird

was sick of a tiny dent in the side of my beauty. so i put a small peice of duct tape over it and spray painted it. looked gorgeous till i payed some shop to remove the dent
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

When I got my beater DD truck (95 C1500), it had the typical dual-exit exhaust installed. It looked alright, so I never bothered with it, until one day the passenger side pipe and tip just fell down while I was driving. I got under it to check the exhaust hanger - low and behold, the exhaust hanger had long since broken, and someone had fixed it with a coat hanger, which finally let go. I welded the exhaust hanger back together, and then a couple weeks later it broke completely off the pipe, tearing out a big piece of the rusty old pipe with it. So, i strapped it back up with a bungee cord temporarily so I could drive it. Shortly afterwards I took a sawzall and cut the exhaust off just after the cab, and welded on a cheapo chambered muffler, and it's been fine ever since.

Also, on the same truck, the catalytic converter went south on me one day - the ceramic inside broke loose and shifted, and was blocking exhaust flow. It was choked up so bad I couldn't get above 35mph. Well, I needed the truck to get to work, so I unbolted the midpipe from the cat, and used a tire iron to bash all the reamining guts out of the catalytic converter, and break up the pieces. Then, I started the engine and revved the hell out of it for a couple minutes, which blew a whole bunch of ceramic chunks out of the cat. That fixed it long enough for me to order a new y-pipe and cat, and get that installed.

As far as my GTA, someone had used some sort of black glue trying to fix everything in the interior. The radio pod plate was glued on with it, the "custom" center console aluminum top was glued on, the cracked passenger side door sill was glued together with it (and consequently glued to the carpet). Also, the ECM was trashed and running in limp mode - the PO had hotwired the fuel pump by splicing in a wire all the way to the back of the car, and just kind of jamming it into the fuse block. Fans were rigged to run full-time. Clutch safety switch was (and still is unfortunately) cut out, and bypassed with a wire nut. There was a horn button installed under the dash, since the steering wheel was trashed. There was a non-working aftermarket alarm installed, that took several hours to disconnect and fish out. The lower shift boot (the one that bolts to the floor) was ripped, so the PO just wrapped a t-shirt around it, and had it stuffed in the center console. The radio harness was cut, which I will be fixing shortly. And the PO must have had some extra silver paint and been really bored, because he sprayed the exhaust manifolds, gas tank bottom, and muffler - there is overspray on stuff though, I'm not sure what he was thinking. The best part though, is since the car was running so poorly, it was running super rich - standing behind it with the engine running would make your eyes water. In fact, so rich, that at some point the muffler had actually exploded, it must have been one hell of a backfire.
Attached Thumbnails What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?-dscf0900.jpg   What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?-dscf0902.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I will say that the underside does look rather clean, very clean. Thats funny as hell though. I bet the PO went dookie on himself when the muffler exploded.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
I will say that the underside does look rather clean, very clean. Thats funny as hell though. I bet the PO went dookie on himself when the muffler exploded.
Well, it only looks clean because the PO spray painted it all silver. The pic doesn't really show it, but it doesn't look that good, there's overspray on the axle and everything else under there.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

OOOHHHHHH. Well that sucks.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Car: 88 Camaro RS/88 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6/1975 350 4 bolt main
Transmission: Manuel/Automatic
Axle/Gears: Factory/After Market

To my cars the most ghetto thing I have found was my brights and dims are wired backwards. My brights are my dims and my dims are my brights. I am so used to it. I never changed it.

My fiances car though. LMAO. He had this Ford Escort. It was like a 94 year model wise I believed...The cylinoid or however you spell that, on it was screwed up so the person before him made their very own push button start lol. And the the fuse to the windshield wipers were so screwed up that we were surprised the fuse never caught on fire. So we had to wire some wires have it go from underneath the hood into the car and we had to twist the wires together to get the windshield wipers to work until we could afford to fix it. I hated that car. He taught me to drive a stick in it. The clutch would slip out of gear constantly. And it took quite a bit of force to hold it in place. His mom drove a stick for over 40 years and never had an issue with a stick shift until that car. I hated it lol.

The the car he had before that a Geo metro. The car looked like and ran like it to. We gutted the car and found out that the A frame was held together somehow by freakin chicken wire.

Some people are just too stupid. Should have to take an IQ test to be around a car lol.

I once had a friend who bought this jeep. LMAO it was in good shape but the freakin door fell off of it and he tied it to the luggage racks on top the car with twine from hay bales lol.

Last edited by Steve86TA; 02-18-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by wwwyzzerdd
i found this today while trying to figure out why my gas gauge doesnt work right, arent the twirled up pipes supposed to go to something, even though i have a carb and a seperate fuel pump?

this is some bullshit, damn po was a dumbasss

What the hell.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by CassieMarie88
To my cars the most ghetto thing I have found was my brights and dims are wired backwards. My brights are my dims and my dims are my brights. I am so used to it. I never changed it.

My fiances car though. LMAO. He had this Ford Escort. It was like a 94 year model wise I believed...The cylinoid or however you spell that, on it was screwed up so the person before him made their very own push button start lol. And the the fuse to the windshield wipers were so screwed up that we were surprised the fuse never caught on fire. So we had to wire some wires have it go from underneath the hood into the car and we had to twist the wires together to get the windshield wipers to work until we could afford to fix it. I hated that car. He taught me to drive a stick in it. The clutch would slip out of gear constantly. And it took quite a bit of force to hold it in place. His mom drove a stick for over 40 years and never had an issue with a stick shift until that car. I hated it lol.

The the car he had before that a Geo metro. The car looked like **** and ran like it to. We gutted the car and found out that the A frame was held together somehow by freakin chicken wire.

Some people are just too stupid. Should have to take an IQ test to be around a car lol.

I once had a friend who bought this jeep. LMAO it was in good shape but the freakin door fell off of it and he tied it to the luggage racks on top the car with twine from hay bales lol.

cylinoid, As in starter solenoid. Some people actually prefer a push-start ignition. And the fuse. Last time I checked, the fuse burns out to protect the electrical devices that are hooked up further down the positive end of the wire. Soooo, the fuse would of never caught on fire. If the amp rating on the fuse is to high, then the devices further down the + end would of fried before the fuse burns out.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM

cylinoid, As in starter solenoid. Some people actually prefer a push-start ignition. And the fuse. Last time I checked, the fuse burns out to protect the electrical devices that are hooked up further down the positive end of the wire. Soooo, the fuse would of never caught on fire. If the amp rating on the fuse is to high, then the devices further down the + end would of fried before the fuse burns out.

There we go solenoid thats the correct spelling. I knew i wasn't getting it right. And I don't know what went on with the fuse box where the issue was. All I know was that when we pulled it out...the plastic was melted and warped. And it was slightly black like someone took a lighter to it. I had no idea what was wrong with it. All I know if we needed the windshield wipers to work...we were broke...and that was the best way to fix it. We eventually sold the car....which thank god. Because the clutch got on my nerves. And the car had more issues then it was worth IMO.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Name:  SANY2909.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  45.0 KB

Did the PO cut up the body? Or did the present (wwwyzzerdd) owner cut the body? I dropped my tank 2x's in about 1 month. That was a lot of work. But hey, atleast my rear hatch area doesnt look like the one pictured ...........
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Car: 88 firebird
Engine: 305 TPI

When I bought my firebird somebody had done the headliner kind of ... well they didnt put the visors back on. No big deal. Well when I went to check the back speakers because they didnt work. After i took the dash speakers (located in the back speaker area) I found the visors for the car in the space behind the speakers. Also they put on a different raditor that didnt have hook ups for the heater core and then used spark plugs to fill the hoses.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 AM

Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 350 5.7L Carb'd
Axle/Gears: Disc 2.77

Did the PO cut up the body? Or did the present (wwwyzzerdd) owner cut the body? I dropped my tank 2x's in about 1 month. That was a lot of work. But hey, atleast my rear hatch area doesnt look like the one pictured ...........
no, i DID consider it though, but didnt have the tools and decided i didnt want to mess up the structural integrity of the body, but some already did it, just took me a year to find it, lol, if i were to do it, it wouldve been a nicely done job, i definitely wouldnt twirl up the fuel lines like that, lol, i did find out that my sending unit was bad though
Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: 355 chev
Transmission: none at the time
Axle/Gears: stock 10bolt v6 gears

well my while car has been ghetto so far.

sun visors were covered in leppard print cloth and held on with staples. then the mounts were duct tape reinforced. The speakers in the back were non existant. The park neutral saftey switch is grounded by speaker wire that goes under a bolt on the tranny pan. The 4th gen power seats were rigged up by speakerwire that went to the fuse box and stuck into a fuse spot. Thats all i've found so far
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Stupid comes in all colors... there's no need to single out one
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz28
My 83 Z28 had a slew of afro-engineering when I bought it.

he didnt say afro-engineering, he said engineering...you need to read a lil bit closer jeremyNYR
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
My 83 Z28 had a slew of engineering when I bought it. I can't really complain, I kind of expected it for $300. 2X12 bolted all the way through the floor for trans cross-member. not even through the original holes, they just had to make 2 new ones for this job. tranny set on several pieces of tire where a trans mount should have been. Torque arm trans mount had bailing wire holding it shut in the top bolt hole along with a piece of landscaping log/rail road tie to keep the whole mess from flopping into the tunnel. I didn't mess with it for a few months after I saw it and when that torque arm broke the wire I thought a bomb had gone off under my car. The day after I got it the rigged up fan switch shorted out and blew insulation all over my shins and feet. The latest and greatest is the fuel pump. The pump arm case broke in two and the pump was a couple of inches from the engine, but that is not the rigged part. I am having to make a new pump to carb line because somebody used JB weld or something to make the flare nut stay on the pump. I used solvents, penetrants, zip tying cloths soaked with lube and solvents soaking for many hours, nogo. I cut the line and put the pump in a vice and hit it with the impact just to prove that nut wouldn't get the best of me. The nut laughed and called me a ***. BTW check my other post on that line cuz I am having problems with that.

see man he didnt put blame on any color, only ignorance...lol
Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 PM

I just got my 88 Formula over x-mas and in the short time I have had it I have had to remove a light up naked lady hood ornament and fix the hatchet job the po did to the engine wiring. And just this morning I found that under the radiator with the main battery cable that goes to the starter, the po spliced a new wire with the old one by using a metal conduit coupling, butting the two pieces together and taped the heck out of it electrical tape. How hard is it to replace a wire, the new one cost me 15 bucks.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rjshull
I just got my 88 Formula over x-mas and in the short time I have had it I have had to remove a light up naked lady hood ornament and fix the hatchet job the po did to the engine wiring. And just this morning I found that under the radiator with the main battery cable that goes to the starter, the po spliced a new wire with the old one by using a metal conduit coupling, butting the two pieces together and taped the heck out of it electrical tape. How hard is it to replace a wire, the new one cost me 15 bucks.
Did you take a picture????????? No???? Shuxxxx. I would pay to see that job.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

No I did not take a picture, but from here on out I am just so I can show the world how stupid some people are. I should have known to take pictures just like I do at work, HVAC tech, when I see a real stupid install from a **** poor contractor or even worse a hoeowner that wantes to save money and then calls me to fix his screw up which of course comes at a hefty premium.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by 89rser
Quote:
My 83 Z28 had a slew of afro-engineering when I bought it.

he didnt say afro-engineering, he said engineering...you need to read a lil bit closer jeremyNYR

I can come back with the same type of insult towards you right now, but since you're new here I'll assume that maybe you are new to message boards in general and think things can't be edited(like on facebook or twitter). If you look under his post, you will see the following:

"Last edited by Steve86TA; 06-18-2009 at 04:25 PM. "

He removed the "afro" part because of my reply.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 PM

It's been about 15 years since I parted this car, but; when I first got this 82 T/A to DD it had a rearend noise-30 feet/BANG!-30 feet/BANG!-30 feet/BANG! Amazingly enough it drove the six blocks home. When I pulled the cover off the diff, it looked fine. Someone had tried to repair a ruined ring gear by substituting a whole different carrier. From a different ratio ! That means the ring divided by the pinion had a remainder ! But wait ! There's more ! One day hauling *** up 696 the car was smoking a bit. Never did that before...I looked back in the mirror again and it was a wall of dense smoke ! I thought I was on fire and got the hell off the road expecting the car to burn up. Nothing but a few wisps. Somebody had twisted/bent the trans cooler lines off about six inches from the trans and rubber hosed them back together.
I drove this thing for two and a half years before vibration sawed through the hose and pumped all the ATF onto the exhaust. Wasn't a bad car otherwise-today I would have replaced the floor and trans and kept right on going
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 170 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird / 87' Formula
Engine: 3.4 / 5.0
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.42

you know, when i think about it, my 89 V-6 bird was't "mint" but it had nothing ghetto done to it at all.....it was all original right down to the spark plugs, brake pads, and probably fluids....

my s-10 on the other hand???....let me gather my notes and I'll post about "Larry's awesomeness" which Im sure may take the cake here....
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 Vortec TPI LT4 Hotcam
Transmission: TH700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

When I was tearing my dash apart I found a balled up t-shirt stuffed into it holding the light **** in place.

The shirt said R. Hibbler Painting, so I talked to one of my dads friends and they said they went to high school with that guy and he killed himself a few years ago O.o kinda creepy, but the car was in the area for about the past 5 years and the guy I bought it from was a painter! lol
Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Car: 1989 iroc camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: the auto 700r4

i had a 1986 nissan hardbody...was in real good shape but the center vents like in this picture got broken,there known to break quite easy.

.....and there not cheap everyones after them

Originally Posted by gcgarner
I was riding around with my buddy Micheal last night in his '87 Nissan Hardbody and his air vents made me think of this thread, so I snapped a quick photo w/ my cell phone. Sorry for the blurriness, it was getting dark and we were on a bumpy road:

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM

While it may not be the most ghetto thing I have seen but I just noticed that the panhard bar on my 88 formula 350 was disconnected from the frame on the driver’s side. After looking at it a little more I noticed the PO changed the fuel tank with a junk yard special and instead of using the straps to hold it up he used corrugated metal strap to hold it up. I swear nothing on this car is stock as everything I have removed so far has had markings on them.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM

Car: 87 firebird
Engine: carbed 305

sorry, its been a while, but my strap is fixed now, and as for the side exit. it was just an idea because i wouldnt need to run it behind my rear axle. so i was thinking (im stressing the thinking) that i could fix my flex pipe have a bullet style muffler under the car(it would fit easy), then the stock exhaust turns right and goes over the rear axle. instead of running it over the rear just put a tip on and it should fit perfect. look ok? and sound a little crisper.

Quick Reply: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?