Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Question About IROC Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Question About IROC Center Caps

The plastic is old and brittle, so removing/replacing them without damage may be nearly impossible. Here's what I've done in the past. With the wheel removed and lying flat on the ground, I sprayed WD-40 around the cap, used the handle of a small hammer pressed against the cap, then whacked the hammerhead with the palm of my hand to pop them out. To install, I centered the cap, put the flat side of a 2x4 over it, and pressed it in. Normally there's some breakage.

Anyone have a better method?

JamesC
Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2010 2LT RS
Re: Question About IROC Center Caps

I never had problems with removing old and putting in new center caps. They just pop out from the backside of the wheel with your thumb. putting them on the front just snaps in. Never had any breakage.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 87_Injected
They just pop out from the backside of the wheel with your thumb. putting them on the front just snaps in. Never had any breakage.
Humm, maybe I've been trying too hard.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-01-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

You're talking about the black plastic centerpieces that have a few press pins and some metal clips on the inside to hold them in place? I've never been a big fan of them. I had my first set stolen and the second ones which were aftermarket would fall off quite easily while driving. I always figured if I kept those wheels I would eventually figure out how to make a set that could be held on by the lug nuts. That or just drill and tap the wheels to hold them in place.

The s-10's had a similar style cap that went under or around the lug nuts. I always wondered if they'd fit an iroc rim.

Mathius
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

After I lost a few on my T/A I started putting some clear silicone sealant around the edge to keep them from falling off. I haven't had them off lately, but I've never broken any doing it.
Lol ... brings back the memory of years ago when I was driving down the highway and just started onto a bridge and saw one of my caps pass me up and bounce over the edge.

Dammit ... after all these years that still pisses me off!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mathius
You're talking about the black plastic centerpieces that have a few press pins and some metal clips on the inside to hold them in place?
There are no pins or metal clips.

JamesC
Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 AM

You're talking about the black plastic centerpieces that have a few press pins and some metal clips on the inside to hold them in place? I've never been a big fan of them. I had my first set stolen and the second ones which were aftermarket would fall off quite easily while driving. I always figured if I kept those wheels I would eventually figure out how to make a set that could be held on by the lug nuts. That or just drill and tap the wheels to hold them in place.

The s-10's had a similar style cap that went under or around the lug nuts. I always wondered if they'd fit an iroc rim.

Mathius
I don't know where you got this info but you are way off. He is talking about the center IROC caps that are plastic. Here is a pic.

Name:  PICT0377.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know where you got this info but you are way off. He is talking about the center IROC caps that are plastic. Here is a pic.

Those aren't center caps, they're decals.

And I was talking about these:

But apparently those are known as "z-28" rims not iroc rims.

Mathius
Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 AM

Nope, IROC center caps.

JamesC
Attached Thumbnails Question About IROC Center Caps-100_0771.jpg  

Last edited by JamesC; 04-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Mathius

Wrong again. Look at the back of these center caps.

Name:  PICT0578.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Wrong again. Look at the back of these center caps.
If you want to call those a center cap, knock yourself out. They have no substance. It's a sticker with a plastic backer.

Mathius
Old 04-01-2009, 05:48 PM

If you want to call those a center cap, knock yourself out. They have no substance. It's a sticker with a plastic backer.
Soooo, you're telling people who actually have IROC's what is and what isn't a center cap--after you've been shown verifying pics? I'd venture to say that an arrogant man is a man reluctant to admit a mistake.

JamesC
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

very well put JamesC , on my cars i like the iroc/z grill . i think the louver grill is ugly . anyway i have ZQ8 wheels , iroc/z grill , and grid taillights . badges are r/s , people say nice IROC or nice Z . i am very quick to tell all that it's an r/s . as many on this forum know , they don't have rare/collectble cars . anyway i would never try to pass an r/s off as a iroc/z . decals don't mean diddley , and true "Z's" should be kept that way . don't give up the fight to be accurate .
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JamesC
Soooo, you're telling people who actually have IROC's what is and what isn't a center cap--after you've been shown verifying pics? I'd venture to say that an arrogant man is a man reluctant to admit a mistake.

JamesC
I told you I made a mistake. I said I had the wrong set of rims. You can't read? There's a little sentence under the pretty picture. Read it.

But I would never call those things you pictured a center cap. They have no substance. They're just a decal as far as I'm concerned the same as a little V8 symbol you'd bolt or stick to your fender.

It's no wonder the damn things don't last. What are they a press fit? Junk.

Mathius
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM

You can't read?
Actually I read quite well. Following is a quote from Mark Twain that you might consider: It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

JamesC
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Car: 1984 camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0L H.O. L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

don't mind mathius.hes just an a$$
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM

I'm thinking of adding the IROC-Z wheels to my 88. Do they have regular caps that just say CAMARO instead of IROC-Z? Thanks for your replies.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Actually I read quite well.
Good, then let me highlight it for you:

But apparently those are known as "z-28" rims not iroc rims.
Happy? I was wrong. Happy? Make you feel better?

Forgive me if I'm a little pissed off. I come in here on my own free time and try to provide help and knowledge to people and get lip because I messed up and referred to the wrong wheels. I don't HAVE to post here and help people. I haven't owned a third gen in 3-4 years because I could only keep 2 cars at my apartment and my chevelle was more important to me. I don't deserve this crap because you're not smart enough to install a plastic, press fit, decal.

Originally Posted by aciddrop2804
don't mind mathius.hes just an a$$
Yeah, I'm an ass for explaining to you about how much you were getting in over your head thinking it was a walk in the park to cut your roof off and put t-tops on your car. Get a clue.

I'm not the one who who started ranting about what an asshole my father was.

You have a lot of growing up to do, kid. Or get counseling.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 04-02-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 AM

I don't deserve this crap because you're not smart enough to install a plastic, press fit, decal.
Your absence of diplomacy and penchant for mean-spirited argument diminishes the value of what you have to say. I'm done, rant away.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-02-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by aldaran
I'm thinking of adding the IROC-Z wheels to my 88. Do they have regular caps that just say CAMARO instead of IROC-Z? Thanks for your replies.
Hey, aldaran,

Welcome to TGO. I'm afraid the only center cap that will fit has the IROC-Z logo.

JamesC
Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Hey, aldaran,

Welcome to TGO. I'm afraid the only center cap that will fit has the IROC-Z logo.

JamesC

Do you think it's right for my wheels to say IROC and the rest of the car has "CAMARO"? I could get an old set on ebay and paint them solid I guess. What are your thoughts JamesC?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by aldaran
Do you think it's right for my wheels to say IROC and the rest of the car has "CAMARO"? I could get an old set on ebay and paint them solid I guess. What are your thoughts JamesC?
Many people swap on IROC wheels (and their center caps) to their cars. Wouldn't trouble me. Your idea about painting could work as well.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-05-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Your absence of diplomacy and penchant for mean-spirited argument diminishes the value of what you have to say. I'm done, rant away.

JamesC
I pride myself on my lack of diplomacy. People should say what they mean. There will be no rant.

Mathius
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgive me if I'm a little pissed off. I come in here on my own free time and try to provide help and knowledge to people and get lip because I messed up and referred to the wrong wheels. I don't HAVE to post here and help people. I haven't owned a third gen in 3-4 years because I could only keep 2 cars at my apartment and my chevelle was more important to me. I don't deserve this crap because you're not smart enough to install a plastic, press fit, decal.

Mathius

You come in here to provide help and knowledge? Then you need to get your facts correct and not pass along what you don't know. Just because that isn't what YOU call them doesn't mean that isn't what they ARE. They ARE center caps, here you go... http://www.ask.com/bar?q=iroc+center...23%26Style%3D3
Item # W625 will help you a bit, maybe?

You are correct, you don't have to come here. I think you are the one that needs to grow up.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TireSmokin'
You come in here to provide help and knowledge? Then you need to get your facts correct and not pass along what you don't know.
Thank you for ignoring the fact that EVERY bit of information I gave was true, I just had the wrong rims. You can blame me for that if you want, but I don't know for the life of me why they call them 'Z28' rims when I had them on my '92 RS, and the late 90's Z28's used a different rim altogether.

Just because that isn't what YOU call them doesn't mean that isn't what they ARE. They ARE center caps, here you go... http://www.ask.com/bar?q=iroc+center...23%26Style%3D3
Item # W625 will help you a bit, maybe?
See, here's where you got mixed up because you're under the impression that I care. I know very well that the dealer definition is a center cap.

But as far as I'm concerned, they are an overpriced decal. If I lost them I would not bother replacing them. I would fabricate something more reliable that can be fasted by some other method than a plastic press fit, or I would change rims.

You are correct, you don't have to come here. I think you are the one that needs to grow up.
Yes, I'm the one who needs to grow up. I'm the one who left multiple replies telling me how "way off" I am, instead of simply telling me I'm mistaken.

JamesC had the gall to tell me I don't have any diplomacy skills, after he and the other poster basically told me I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Again.. My information was 100% correct, I simply identified the wrong style of rims. This is why we ask people to post pictures of their problem in the first place. To clarify these things.

So why don't you exhibit how "grown up" you are and just drop it. It would have been done with if you hadn't started adding to the fire.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 04-02-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Can you children all grow up and let it go? They are center caps for the IROC-Z wheel. Yes they press on, yes they are plastic as most center caps in the 80s and 90s were. The Z28 center cap is also plastic and as you mentioned, had a tendancy to fall off. The reason the other rim is referred to as the Z28 rim is because it was the Z28 rim from 82-87 and was the base rim for the IROC-Z (still a Z28) in 1988. So it was the Z28 rim for 7 years of the 11 year run.

JamesC, the best option is to replace them with new. The tabs are very fragile now and break very easily. I lost a few tabs on mine when I replaced my tires a few weeks ago. The tire guy just snapped them on and I saw plastic fly. Time for new ones for me.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
JamesC, the best option is to replace them with new.
While I whole-heartedly agree, I was hoping to get another tire/rim swap in beforehand. At any rate, new center caps are on my "to purchase" list.

Scott, riddle me this: What determined the color of the center cap? For example, my silver IROC came with silver caps; however, recently I saw a pic of what appears to be an original silver car with red caps.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 04-05-2009 at 09:35 AM.