Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L V8
Transmission: Auto
Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!

Hi everyone....
I have an 89 Trans AM with the standard rear spoiler. I live in Las Vegas and it snowed (yes, hell froze over) a few weeks back and it seems that soon afterwards, the clear coat has now started peeling on the spoiler. Could be coincedence with the weather and now peeling but my question is...is there a way to dissolve the clear coat without ruining the paint job and reapply the clear coat? I am about to grab fine sandpaper and try this but afraid of tapping into the paint itself. No previous body work experience here LOL Anything on the market safe to maybe do this?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!-spolier-1.jpg   Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!-spolier-2.jpg   Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!-spolier-3.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Re: Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!

best bet would be to take it to a body shop, if its only the spoiler, they should be able to fix that fairly cheap and quickly, better than screwing it up your self, and still costing you the same when you take it to a body shop to have them fix it.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Car: 1969 firebird, 1986 Trans Am,
Engine: 461,305TB
Transmission: T-10,700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.55,2.73
Re: Rear spoiler clear coat peeling!!

From the looks of it it could be sanded out and re-cleared. Now the bad news, my luck with these is that they expand and contract allot. The best way to go is a fiberglass one. I put one on my wife's cars that was a very good condition original, painted last summer. I mounted it to some wood to keep it from moving and it still cracked with just the primer on it! I sanded it every time until I sprayed the color and clear. When I mounted it after polishing the rest of the car it cracked some more. It seems every time it heat cycles (or cold ) the substrate moves allot and will continue to. Here in MN we get different weather than you do and we don't move her car from the heated garage in winter. I will replace it with the fiberglass one when it gets ugly-it's not to noticeable to other people yet. My point was that you can remove it to repaint it but it may crack when you reinstall it. The sponge rubber it's made of doesn't seem to age very well, not like the better urethane plastic parts. HTH.