Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How to remove T Top Seals/Weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove T Top Seals/Weatherstripping?

So I found a car with GREAT weatherstripping and t top seals still intact, and I was wondering how I'd remove it effectively? I also need to re-apply this stripping on my car, so what exactly would I use to stick it on my Camaro?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 LB9 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: POSI 2.73
Re: How to remove T Top Seals/Weatherstripping?

I also am interested in figuring this one out....whoever has done it before please chime in..
Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

You don't. If the T-Tops have good weatherstrip, and look good, then use them. It's a pretty good chance you'll just rip them apart if you try to take the weatherstrip out.

Now, for the doors, some people say that a hair dryer works well, or the remover for the weatherstrip glue.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheScaryOne
You don't. If the T-Tops have good weatherstrip, and look good, then use them. It's a pretty good chance you'll just rip them apart if you try to take the weatherstrip out.

Now, for the doors, some people say that a hair dryer works well, or the remover for the weatherstrip glue.
No, this is on a car at the junkyard (which I still can't believe how amazing shape the stripping is in) and I wanted to know how i could effectively take it off, so I could replace the crap stripping on MY car.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sixty6
No, this is on a car at the junkyard (which I still can't believe how amazing shape the stripping is in) and I wanted to know how i could effectively take it off, so I could replace the crap stripping on MY car.
i got an extra set of used t-top weatherstripping that is in good shape where are you located. if your intrested let me know
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Heh and you live in Chicago? I'll send you a PM, I live pretty close too...
But that doesn't mean I'm still not curious as to how to re-apply the weatherstripping and all!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 PM

alot of weatherstripping addhesive
Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Well I took up madhatter on his offer and picked up the weatherstrips today!

I'll be putting them in tomorrow (with pics), and here is what I plan to do:
1. Use a scraper tool to peel off the existing weatherstripping
2. Make sure it is COMPLETELY clean in between the seals
3. Remove the black t top bar and use rust killer on rusted spots (since I remember something about the water not being able to get out)
4. Use silicone caulking on the holes to make sure no leaks go through the body.
5. Use silicone caulking on the t top bar to make it flush with the rest of the body so it won't leak
6. From the middle to the sides, use a zig zag pattern as a water escape route.
7. Fill in the gap between the black piece of the t tops.
8. Put the weather sealing in, with the middle part first (use tons of glue at the bottom and TONS at the middle).
9. Do the sides once at a time
10. Do the weather stripping on the sides
11. Seal the weatherstripping part that goes from t top to door weather stripping with silicone caulking.

This is mostly what I got from here and madhatter:
https://www.thirdgen.org/ttopleakfix

Can someone explain the point of the zigzags though? It was mentioned in the article...
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 AM

i probably wouldn't do the zig zag pattern however. if you ever have to replace the weatherstripping it will be an absolute nightmare trying to remove it/ cleaning the adhessive off. i would probably buy some paint when you are buying you adhessive, because chances are you will be repainting your t-bar once you remove it. it will most likely be all rusty on the bottom. now is the time to take care of it. fill the channels with good amounts of adhessive to make sure that the water isn't going to get into the car. remember the corners that i showed you those are going to be your problematic parts for water so get them very well. scraper might work but i found that a small screw driver works very well for getting into the chanels, and rubbing it down with acetone helps get rid of some of the adhessive..
If you want to zig zag what you would do is really what it sounds like, zig zag the adhessive while running it down the center of the run channel. i also recomend glue down tha side of the weatherstripping to the car. this would be the edges of the weatherstripping that is towards the car. glue it down in the run channel then kind of pull it back a little and the run another bead on top of the channel and the lay it back flat, use the t-tops to hold it down.

if it leaks, add more adhessive. trial and error, it sucks but thats all you can do. also when you finish installing it, take care of it. use silicon spray or equivilant on the rubber every now and the to keep it from drying out. i hope that this helps, if not give me a call and i will better try to explain it
Old 10-04-2008, 12:31 PM

awesome, thanks for the help, I'll be stopping at Autozone to pick up some weatherstripping adhesive and acetone, and Home Depot for some paint for the t-bar

Hopefully I can find some time tonight to pull the car into the garage and get this done tonight, it's been leaking for the past week..
Old 10-04-2008, 04:18 PM

alright, LAST question (I promise...):
If I do paint the t-bar, what kind of paint would I buy and what should I do in regards to painting it? should I spray some other on it to make sure the paint doesn't fade or anything? The only thing I've ever painted was a wall...doubt this is the same thing

I just don't want to screw up and have this one small task run a week, I'm the type that lays out all the tools, and finishes the job in one sitting...
Old 10-04-2008, 11:33 PM

I lied...I took a midday nap and woke up a few mins before Home Depot was closing, so I figured I'd stop tomorrow morning.

I picked out this paint:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90317+501637
and was also wondering if I should maybe sand out the rusted spots first? It was just suggested on a paint article I was reading, so I was looking at their sandpaper products:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/..._Sanding_Tools

But if I do sand it, would this cause even more leaking?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by sixty6
I lied...I took a midday nap and woke up a few mins before Home Depot was closing, so I figured I'd stop tomorrow morning.

I picked out this paint:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90317+501637
and was also wondering if I should maybe sand out the rusted spots first? It was just suggested on a paint article I was reading, so I was looking at their sandpaper products:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/..._Sanding_Tools

But if I do sand it, would this cause even more leaking?

dont know if you sanded it yet, but no it wont cause more leaking if you sand the rust out unless, you sand all the way through the metal creating a hole. make sure that you glue the t-bar down to the car, or you will be swiming in your car after it rains
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by madhatter
dont know if you sanded it yet, but no it wont cause more leaking if you sand the rust out unless, you sand all the way through the metal creating a hole. make sure that you glue the t-bar down to the car, or you will be swiming in your car after it rains
Thanks, but I couldn't take out the t-bar for some reason (I took out the screws and everything), so I just figured I'd just wipe away the rust and and use silicone caulking on it, let it dry and then do the stripping.

But I'm not gonna lie, I spent about 3 hours working on getting the stripping out on the passenger side and i STILL haven't finished (but I do really thorough jobs).
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

any updates?