Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

I almost lost my face tonight, literally

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac trans am GTA 5 speed
Engine: 5.0L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Borg Warner World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Rear
I almost lost my face tonight, literally

I decided that since It was Warm Out I wouldd do the O2 Sensor On the Ta and Just get it over with. Car Wouldnt start.. All I got was was Click Click Click.. My starter is going.. So I pushed it to the Hill and Push started It.. Let it run for a while.. Im getting alll My Interior Parts together For My Interior completio in a few days.. I didnt Even Notice that the Fan wasnt On, at all.. Sitting there listening to the sound of the engine Putting parts in a Zip lok Bag.. I FIND MY LOCK CYLINDER for the Drivers door, Im like COOL! I dont have to Buy a new set Now, and Something Popped Into my head to Go and Check the the Guages, I see the Full tank of Gas and I see the temp gage matching the F on the Fuel tank right then and there BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the radiator Upper Hose that I was Standing NEXT TO!! Blew UP.. WAYYY UPP.. Smoke EVERYWHERE, Coolant All On the car and all over the Driveway and Car port... If I would of Been standing there I would Of Had My face Burned... I am SOOOOOO LUCKY

Do I hAVe to Reprimer the car Now>??????
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc-z28
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: I almost lost my face tonight, literally

wow good story! glad your alright!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None

Reprimer the body you mean? You're concerned that the coolant hurt the primer?

I'll say no. Did you use an epoxy primer? Just wash off the car and you'll be fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 AM

Car: 1981 Chevy Malibu, 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 229 V6, L98 TPI 350
Transmission: TH350, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ???, 9 bolt 3.27 posi

Hah, its scary when something like that happens, huh. When I had my first Firebird (89 formula with a ******* 350 swap, before I took that POS out and put a good 355 in), I drove it to a friends house during a snow storm, and we drove around his neighborhood messing around in the snow. Got back to his house, parked the car, got out, and "BOOM", blew the plastic tank off the side of the radiator to $#!T. Was scary, and I had no clue what happened cause I was young and stupid at the time. Long story short a few days later I ordered some new gauges from Summit. Oh well. Good luck with yours!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM

As You see it In Both posts, all the Wet Stuff on the Ground and all the wet stuff On My car, Thats Coolant... I took the Pics, then washed it off, i Dont think that this is expoxy primer.. It was actually some cheap crap because I sanded the car down to bare metal and Didnt Even realize how much a Gallon on Victory red paint would be.. The red painted Engine bay and door jambs I painted last Year with only Buying a quart of victory red, But Check Out that Color!, can you imagine the whole car that Color!!...Im Just afraid Of painting the whole car, If I screwed up on the engine bay and Door jambs It would be an easy fix, But they came out good.. But the whole Body, Im Kinda scared

Last edited by 905SpeedGTA; 04-03-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM

PLEASE Pardon THe Appearance Of My GTA. As you can see in some Pictures the Body Kit and Fenders and Bumper Cover are Not Flush, They are staged On there Just so I can Keep them On the car so My neighbors Dont Complain to My Parents.

In another Month or 2 I will be ready to Start the Whole Exterior Of the car.. I need the Proper

1- Fenders ( I took the current ones off My Uncles 1986 v6 base firebird) They Dont have the Holes For the Body Kit...

2- Hood with vents . Car came with a Fiberglass Hood, I sold it because I want to make the car Original again, and I was haisty at a Junyard one day and I bought the regular Hood Off a Formula.. I didnt Know the gta's came with the vents.

3- Front Bumper Cover - For some reason the edges are not flush eith the Hood when you close it, By this i mean when when the bumper is mounted properly, the gap between the Bumper and Hood is warped looking, kinda Like someone shaved It for the Fiberglass Hood...I dunno, But If anyone wants it to Fix Ill gladly sell it Cheap...

4- Ground FX peice that goes On fender and connects to the front bumper and Cooling spoiler.. My Fault.. I Couldnt wait to Drive it when I got Home From Vacation and Totally Forgot that I just staged the piece on the car.. Messed it Up BAD....

Thats about It..HAhah

Last edited by 905SpeedGTA; 04-03-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Adding Text
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

That was a great story! Probably would have scared the **** of of me. I made some stupid mistakes this week . I'm doing a vortec swap on a buddys s-10 and had all the harnesses and tranny out but needed the garage to do a tune up for a friends sunfire. I put everything back in the donor truck and i forgot one oil line retaining pin on the radiator. I was excited because everything worked great on the first start up (and it was 1:00 in the morning)...i was enjoying hearing some high RPMS and then got out of the car and saw my entire garage floor flooded in oil -_- I fixed it and no damage to the engine but i was about 20 seconds from costing my friend $1000 felt pretty stupid. Then when i was workin on the sunfire last night...i spilled about a gallon of scalding coolant on my legs...it hurt...that was the relevance to your story heh
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

hey there man, sorry to hear that, first your crushing interior parts on accident and then this happens. Sounds brutal. Just glad to hear you're alright. Wish you were closer, i would swap the trans am hood i got for that formula hood. And as far as the fenders, if that rust is fixable...just make the holes in the bottom of the fenders for the ground effects so you don't need to dump more money.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando85
That was a great story! Probably would have scared the **** of of me. I made some stupid mistakes this week . I'm doing a vortec swap on a buddys s-10 and had all the harnesses and tranny out but needed the garage to do a tune up for a friends sunfire. I put everything back in the donor truck and i forgot one oil line retaining pin on the radiator. I was excited because everything worked great on the first start up (and it was 1:00 in the morning)...i was enjoying hearing some high RPMS and then got out of the car and saw my entire garage floor flooded in oil -_- I fixed it and no damage to the engine but i was about 20 seconds from costing my friend $1000 felt pretty stupid. Then when i was workin on the sunfire last night...i spilled about a gallon of scalding coolant on my legs...it hurt...that was the relevance to your story heh

On your Legs!?.. Jeez Im really Sorry to Hear about that man, I hope you didnt get Burns, Worst thing auto repair wise that has ever happened to me was when I was 18, I had a 1993 oldsmobile Cutlass supreme and my mechanic had it Up On the lift and He was showing me something Under the lift and I yawned and stretched and My fore arm Pressed FIRMLY against the HOT Catlyntic Converter!.. Ill never forget that day I had a Huge Pocket On my Arm that BURNED soo bad My eyes were watering, heh.....its funny now but I was Cryin then..
Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 84redta
hey there man, sorry to hear that, first your crushing interior parts on accident and then this happens. Sounds brutal. Just glad to hear you're alright. Wish you were closer, i would swap the trans am hood i got for that formula hood. And as far as the fenders, if that rust is fixable...just make the holes in the bottom of the fenders for the ground effects so you don't need to dump more money.

Its Brutal alright, The closer I get to completion the more bugs I have to work out, This sept will be 3 Years I owned this car and In three years I have come a long way, So let it SPIT COOLANT AT ME, Let it give me all the Bugs In the world and all the Little things to fix.. Cuz I Love that car, and the First day I saw it layin dead in that guys driveway I knew that was MY car.. I wont stop untill its done and its a shiny sparkling piece of machine sitting in my driveway... I got a second job last month so I can get this car rollin

P.s - How far are you away from East Meadow, NY? Ill be More then happy to meet you in the nearest walmart parking lot with a set of tools and switch hoods lol.. Whats it going to cost us a few bucks in gas?...I dont want to pay $100 to $200 for a Hood.. I dont think u want to either, so let me know my e-mail ius rad1989ta@aol.com E-mail or IM and let me know

Last edited by 905SpeedGTA; 04-03-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Car: 89 S10 Blazer
Engine: 355 tbi
Transmission: Built 700R4 w/ 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 posi

Dang that sucks man, yeah, id definatly be worried about the primer. That surface rust on that fender, did that come through the primer? if it was theres you first clue, if it wasnt water proof. Id definalty be scrubbing and sanding that thing down if you dont know what primer you had on it. Nothing worse than having a paint job ruined from somthing stupid like that.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by superbee
Dang that sucks man, yeah, id definatly be worried about the primer. That surface rust on that fender, did that come through the primer? if it was theres you first clue, if it wasnt water proof. Id definalty be scrubbing and sanding that thing down if you dont know what primer you had on it. Nothing worse than having a paint job ruined from somthing stupid like that.

Yeh your right.. I am not going to take any chances with this.. When it gets alittle warmer I am going to Strip it Down to bare metal again and reprime it with good Epoxy primer...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4

N/A

Last edited by KYLE87; 01-31-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird / 1985 Trans-Am
Engine: 305 4BBL / 383 4BBL++
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?.?? / 3.47

wow.. Cool story.
Glad to hear that it missed you.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezysk
wow.. Cool story.
Glad to hear that it missed you.

That Cooling system packs Quite a punch.. and i made a mistake, it wasnt the Upper radiator Hose, it was an upper hose, but not the one by the battery... it was the Hose that goes from that heater valve to the heater Core..

How is it In Michigan? When I did a vehicle History report On my T/A It Spent 3 years of its Life In Lansing, Michigan..

Last edited by 905SpeedGTA; 04-04-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird / 1985 Trans-Am
Engine: 305 4BBL / 383 4BBL++
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?.?? / 3.47

Spring is coming slowly here in Michigan, but I am not in a huge rush since I am a bit behind in my car projects.

So you had a heater hose blow, wow, did the actual hose blow up, or did it just come off at an end? I have never seen one of those hoses blow, but I guess this means I should replace mine before I get this car on the road.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ezysk
Spring is coming slowly here in Michigan, but I am not in a huge rush since I am a bit behind in my car projects.

So you had a heater hose blow, wow, did the actual hose blow up, or did it just come off at an end? I have never seen one of those hoses blow, but I guess this means I should replace mine before I get this car on the road.

Better safe than sorry.

I had a hose connector to it temporarily eliminating the oil cooler for other reasons.. and it blew off that connector, this happened because the car overheated really really BAD... Not because of a Faulty Hose... I am worried I did damage to the engine...I am praying thats not the case.