Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Subframe Connectors- OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: auto
Subframe Connectors- OMG!

I have had my RS for 3 years and in that time, I have repaired or replaced a lot of parts, done some minor tweaking with a CAI and catback, done some cosmetic upgrades, but decided finally to get serious and start upgrading from the ground up in the following order:
1) suspension/frame
2) brake upgrade
3) paint/interior
4) possible LS1 swap (going to depend on California DMV, smog, gas prices- maybe we should invade a Middle Eastern country so we can get cheap oil...)

I had recently installed a TDS Wonderbar (rave, rave- terrific improvement to steering and the front stiffness) and a STB (a little better, but not as radical an improvement as the Wonderbar).

I ordered some SFCs from Lon at Top Down Solutions, which he advised were being readied for shipment WHILE I WAS STILL PRINTING OUT THE ORDER CONFIRMATION- outstanding service! Due to a mixup at my end, they went to the wrong address and Lon hand delivered some replacements to the installer he recommended here in California. I had them installed for $95, which included moving the fuel lines, dropping the exhaust for installation AND Don also realigned my y-pipe which had been hitting the suspension AND removed and reinstalled the cat CORRECTLY (it was put in crooked)! They were installed without needing to pull the carpet, since Don knew what he was doing with a welding torch AND HE ALSO PAINTED THE WELDS AFTERWARDS to prevent rust.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE TO HOW IT DRIVES! No more squeaks and rattles- think how much time this saved in chasing down those little squeaks we all grumble about? It drives like a new car; it feels solid and no longer groans if I have to go over a speed bump or driveway entrance crooked.

So, if you are new to 3rd Gens or have not done it yet... stop with the sail panel recovering, the 4th gen seat install or the black interior conversion, get on to Top Down Solutions or Spohn or Hotchkiss or whoever and order some SBCs IMMEDIATELY! Just as everyone told me, it IS the first mod that you should do to improve these cars! By the way, if you order from Lon, ask him for a recommendation for a good installer in your area. He may not be able to help everone, but the installer he recommended to me was terrific!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Subframe Connectors- OMG!

+1
Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

I can't imagine not having SFCs. It's scary to think about putting down significant power without them.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4

I love readng these threads. My UMI's or waiting to be installed, hopefully next week.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 PM

Car: Camaro RS
Engine: 327
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Alloy axles, motive 3.73

Originally Posted by camaropunk
I love readng these threads. My UMI's or waiting to be installed, hopefully next week.
same here, my umi sfc´s on the way, along with umi stearing brace, pair of adjustable lca and panhardbar. I cant wait!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Car: 2015 Chevy SS
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E

+1 for the SFC's. My Spohns are terrific.

I have a UMI wonderbar thats going to be installed soon, along with a 36mm sway bar. I cant wait for the improvement!

Chris