Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fiberglass front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass front end

I have an 89 RS.
I am curious to know if yall, have any perfernce as to where or what brand of front end to get.
My car has to stay street leagal I just want to drop weight. I also want the hood to hinge like it does factory.
It may be a while I need to save some money to buy this one. I do need to replace both fenders, the hood, and the radiator support.
Ohhh. Another question. Does anyone know where I can find a good factory stlye radiator support?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Car: 00 Dodge Ram,83 Camaro
Engine: Ls1 Carbed Drag Motor
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: Strange Dana 60 4:56
Re: Fiberglass front end

vfn fiberglass. i have a front end for your car that is already cut to the doors just needs to be mounted if you are interested.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arent those noses extended? i was going to do the same thing, but not sure if its safe to run on a daily driver. plus im doing a tilt front end in the future so i have to consider that also
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 AM

Car: 00 Dodge Ram,83 Camaro
Engine: Ls1 Carbed Drag Motor
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: Strange Dana 60 4:56

Ya tey are extended by the door so you can get the body line fit right but if you are going to be having an everyday driver then you dont want a full front clip. check this out its a front nose http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm scroll down about quater the way on the page.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine wont be a daily driver. more like a weekend car. my hood kinda gives it away......lol
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Pew

Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: t10
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.88's

there is no point to try to run a fiberglass front end on a street car. They would require extensive modifacation ie mounting system parking lights headlights ect if one could even get it to work correctly. They are desined for drag cars (tube chassie cars) only. And you wont save hardly any weight the front fenders on these car are very thin and cheap metal they hardly weigh any thing at all.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 Bolt, 4.10

Are you planning to go with a whole fiberglass front clip (nose/fender one piece) as stated above or were you just looking for a fiberglass nose piece to replace the front urethane one? I know Stinger Fiberglass (www.stingerfiberglass.com) sells a stock replacement style fiberglass front bumper cover. They don't show it on there site but if you email them and ask about it they will tell you they do sell them. From what they told me, it is a one piece bumper with gfx, has all the orignal mounting locations like the stock bumper and bolts on stock style. The one I asked about was a 85'-90' style bumper but I believe the sell the other two styles as well. I will agree that the fiberglass nose prob won't shed to much weight off compared to the urethane bumper, but my reasonings for going with it in the near future are that I currently have a 84' style nose and want a 85' up style (love the lower spoiler so much better than the older style) and the fiberglass bumper won't have the waves in it below the headlight area and along the flat portions of the bumper like the stock style urethane develops (I have a large water spot on my front that I can't seem to buff due to the fact of the dip below where the headlights are on the passenger side holds water all the time). Price quote from them was approximately $450 for the nose plus shipping. They make these on a order basis but the turn around time is about a week from order date so not really to bad.

Just to show what there's look like I've included two pictures below that they sent me through email.
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass front end-fiberglass-nose.jpg   Fiberglass front end-fiberglass-nose-2.jpg