Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

paint gun choices??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk
paint gun choices??

quick question...gravity or siphon??

i'm looking at this gravity:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94572

and this siphon i believe is what it's called:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93974

doing basic paint job in the spring, and if you asking about the website, i got a gift card, so if anyone can make a suggestion out of these 4 pages attatched here:
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...equestedPage=2

if someone could make a suggestion off of this website other than what i chose, with some opinions on why, including details such as the accesories that are included, what i can get away with for a basic paint job, ect. That would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: paint gun choices??

gravity HVLP less over spray and less wasted paint. if ur gonna but a paint gun from that place get this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430 its really decent for primer and color for clear you we need a different gun. i would go to eastwood.com and pick up this gun http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCTfrom Devilbiss it will cover every thing and give u a good finshed job but if ur only doing one small job and dont wnat to spend that much money on a gun ull never use get the haborfreight one for the primer and color and check out ur local paint stores. alot of them u can rent a gun so u can rent one for ur clear
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc camaro
Engine: jasper 350, l98
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo, shift kit.
Axle/Gears: stock

another thing you can look into at harbor freight is the 7"variable speed sander/polisher. i got one and it appears to be built pretty well.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42

We have a Anest Iwata, a Japanese gun that uses less than 15 PSI to paint. It has almost no overspray and costs over 700$. Great gun though, really light.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

ok what does HVLP stand for, because i keep hearing it. The first one i chose because i liked the litle gun for smaller projects, and the bigger gun, is HVLP gravity fed and has a tip for primer and a tip for top coats. Thats why i thought that it would be a decent choice. Any guns on there you see good for clear or can someone tell me a good tip i should be looking for in a kit that would make it good for clear coating.

I got a walmart kit 3 years ago when i was just starting out, used that thing for primer, top coat, and clear, and it came out decently...why is there are there seperate tips for each?? I thought you should do like three coats of each anyways, why use a smaller tip for primer to put more on?...it would just make it that much thicker?? Or is that sealing it better? Not really ameteur here, i've done it before, i got it to the point i liked the outcome, just looking for some pointers to get that more "profesional" job. Thanks guys!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 AM

HVLP = high volume low pressure, basically it means that it can spray a lot of paint with little pressure = much MUCH less wasted paint because it has way less overspray
Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

Both Binks and Sata make a really nice gun, pretty expensive though as they're higher end guns. Also, if you aren't looking to spend a bunch of money, you can pick up an Ingersoll-Rand HVLP for less than 100 bucks. I think you can find them at Lowes.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

yea thats the only catch, is that i have a $75 gift card to www.harborfrieght.com, so thats why i'm trying to see how best i can spend it because in the spring i'll be doing the job, and i really don't need anything else tool wise, i got everything else, i got a gun even that i could get away with, but like i said it was a cheap walmart gun, it worked for every stage, but i just know it's not the right one, and i like the idea of HVLP because i'd like to make the paint spread so i don't need as much, and also the fact that it's talking about no overspray, which is good for me .

I'm seeing in other places either it's just a guage or it's a guage and regulator at the handle, and i noticed someone above suggested one...are those better and why??
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: Custom Forged 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" 4:11's Detroit Locker

ok if you are farmiliar with HVLP guns, then go for it, if you arent good at using them then do yourself a favor an get a conventional gun and you will end up with a lot less runs in your paint job...and you can get a decent astro conventional gun for about 70 bux....
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro

My favorite when on a budget....Devilbliss. You can getem kit wise pretty cheap @ Eastwood.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1990 Camaro RS, 1970
Engine: 305 TPI, rattling 305 ;), ZZ-4
Transmission: 700r4, 5-Speed, turbo350
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.73,3.08

Another thing to consider is the nozzle size depending on if you are spraying a solid or metalic, light or dark. Are you spraying single stage or base/clear?

It all depends on weather you plan to paint more or if this is a one shot deal. If you are spraying a solid it isn't critical but if you are spraying a light metalic you will want a smaller nozzle size like a 1.3. I have found alot of the cheap guns work great for the primer, etc. but they tipically have a 2.0 size nozzle I usually use a Sata Hvlp with a 1.5 and it works great.

Also if you do get a HVLP Play with it before you spray on an old hood or something hanging from the celing so you can get a feel for how the material goes on. I have seen guys put the paint on way to thick and it isn't and fun sanding in the middle of a paint job

My dad buy's from Harbor freight and they have some good stuff. but my experiance with the paint guns is they are throw aways.

Good Luck!!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1990 Camaro RS, 1970
Engine: 305 TPI, rattling 305 ;), ZZ-4
Transmission: 700r4, 5-Speed, turbo350
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.73,3.08

92541-1VGA
FinishLine by DeVilbiss

This is the only one in the catalog you might be ok with I have owned DeVilbiss guns and they are of decient quality.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I have this gun http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430
and it seems to work quite well
Old 12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

ok, you guys are pointing me to guns with regulators on them...is there any problem with buying the gun i selected and putting a regulator on it??? I like that there is an entire kit to the one i picked and i get the small touch up gun for smaller projects. Is there anything theoretically you can see in the description wrong with it??? I thank you all for your opinions, $150 is just too much, i'm not looking for that of a professional of a paint job, i want one that looks good, and if i can get by with a multi purpose from walmart for 3 years, and make that look like the orignal paint on my truck, then i know for my purposes i don't need to spend that much. I understand if i was going into the profession it would pan out to be a good investment, but i don't plan on doing it consistantly. I like the last gun, but other than the regulator can anyone say for sure there is a difference between the gun i picked and the gun you selected? Just trying to get a feel for the differences and the specifications of the guns and what you guys are looking at when you say i should go with this one...whats special about that one...what made you buy the gun you have...ect. Thanks!!!
----------
i also like the fact that the gun i selected had multiple tips to do different jobs (primer, top coat)...what tip do i need to get away with doing clear coat?! I'm just i guess starting out trying to understand this, like i said i got by using a general purpose gun for primer, top coats, and clear, and never had a problem, never adjusted anything, and got a good outcome. I'm just curious whats special about a clear gun...and why can't i use one of the tips i have?? Like use the little tip for the top coat, and use the big tip for the heavier stuff like primer and clear. I just want to have a full understanding before i drop the cash. Thanks again!

Last edited by 84redta; 12-27-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM

i love devillibiss spray guns, gravity feeds. siphon feeds have actually become outlawed in production shops because of the pollution. i have nothing but good things to say about devillibiss spray guns.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 355 c.i.
Transmission: 5 spd.
Axle/Gears: 3:42s

84redta, The set from Harbor Freight with the detail gun is a decent set for the money. I believe it was the first on your list. I,ve used both guns and they work well. Make sure you clean them after every use though. The only problem I ran into was the plastic lids can be a b---h after awhile of being in the thinner. Use the 1.8 fluid tip for primer and the 1.4 for your base and clear coats. The big gun lays the clear down pretty good. rosco88ta
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

thank you very much. I'm just looking at all these other guns, and yes i see other's come with the regulators, but thats all i see, no mention of a cleaning kit, no mention of different tips, and then people are saying that i need a clear gun with no explanation of why. LIke i said i got by with a cheapo for so long, i didn't understand why i had to lay $100s down to get something that will work nicely, after all, i thought it was the painter...not the gun??? lol, naw j/k, i know there are different grades and different materials the guns are made of, but noone said that what i picked out was anything bad. Thank you again rosco!

Last edited by 84redta; 12-30-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 PM

84redta, BTW, you will need a regulator either on your compressor or at the gun. I would recommend a filter on the gun also, just to keep water and oil out of your paint ( hate fisheyes ). If I remember right, that combo you were looking at has some instructions. I think you'll like that detail gun for small parts. I tried one of those 500.00 Sata guns, lets just say someone wasted alot of money on that junk IMO! I also think that they have rebuild kits for those guns, which is a big plus. You don't have to throw it away if if needs attention. Good luck with your project!!!! Just remember-- the quality of your job is in the prep work.. Also, I've been doing paint and body work for over 30 yrs. So hopefully by now I know what I'm talking about.... rosco
Old 12-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

I haver a good $400 Shape Gun and a Sata both are good guns. But I wouldnt sepnd that much on a gun again.....

I also have 2 of the cheap HF guns
I just primmed a buddys car with this gun and it worked good.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47016

I have this one for detail work. jams etc. and ceramic coating all the headers i do.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46719

As for filters/reg. You can never have enough filteration. I have a dryer about 4ft off the compressor. and a regulator. Then I also have a water seperator.

Right off the bottom of the gun I have a filter and regulator also.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

thank you guys! Thanks rosco, I know all about prep and i've screwed my jobs up just in rushing, so i know the downfalls of each screw up, lol. Yea i didn't understand what made those $300 guns so special other than names. Maybe if i was a big name business i would need the reputation of those companies to carry to my outcomes. But for this i just need a little cheap gun that works. Thanks TPI383 for your experience as well and your gun choices.

Another question, will all regulators and filters, water seperators all work with my craftsman air compressor??? I'm sure just like the guns, the price jumps around, if you guys can use harborfrieghts website to point me to what i should get, that would be great...i know very little about details of these items and what to look for, and i've been running the air compressor for 5 years w/out anything, did paint jobs with no attatchments, and enjoyed the outcomes, so at this point i just want to get better than what i have. What regulators and filters would you guys use from that site? Thanks again!

Last edited by 84redta; 12-30-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

here is a link for a search of "air regulator" in harborfrieghts website

If you guys can point out a good filtration system and regulator for any of the above guns, that would be great. The hose coming off the regulator mounted on the tank says 3/8 Inner Diameter, but i'm also assuming that i can just get adapters if need be, so any experience or suggestions with your reasoning would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...=air+regulator

Jon

Last edited by 84redta; 12-30-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

something like this would work for ya. Just dont use oil in the lub site. Or remove it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40312

Few more links.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1118

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

ok, if i may ask, what is wrong with the three $20 versions on page of this search:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...equestedPage=1

it appears to do the same filering/regulating/lubricating, any of these or the one you selected have an off valve so that i can have oil in there and just not use it when i'm ready to paint?

as far as regulators that would attatch to the gun, what would you suggest?? I see a $3 sumthing version and a $5 version on page three (next page after link above). Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

This one will work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45009
I cant find the filter & regulator I have on the end of my gun also.

Then again I have a $400 desicance filter right off my compressor also. So the one on my gun is a moot point. But I have it just incase.

My gun regulator look slike this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90977
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

So has anyone used these:
The pair of guns with the aluminum colored body and purple trigger/adjustments/rings that comes in a set with wrenches, cleaning goodies and a primer tip?

I have both the big and detail HVLP purple guns that I use all the time and they work great, if you know what you’re doing you can do as good a job with them as you can with any good (read expensive) gun.

I was going to pick up some tips and additional goodies for them and noticed that the aluminum bodied set was on sale for $39, less than the cost of the stuff I was going to get for the purple guns which is included in this kit.

Having opened the box they don’t seem as nice as the purple guns (it might just be my impression because the purple guns are cast and then anodized, giving them nice flat surfaces, where these were cast and then ground and polished and the polishing leaves something to be desired), they don’t have as clear a detent between just air and air+paint in the trigger either, at least with no air pressure running through them.

The original purple guns seem to be their own animal, where the new aluminum guns look a lot like a Binks/finishline knockoff with really cheesy cups.

Right now I’m debating returning them and just getting the “accessories” I originally intended, but if they work well I’ll keep them. I’d like to decide without actually running any paint through them so if someone has some input I’d appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

i ended up picking up that set for really cheap at one of thier stores, considering i got by with a walmart $30 gravity feed gun, with phenominal results, i am more than sure that i can get a good coat out of these guns and will definally post when i get the paint job laid in the next couple of weeks. I got a couple other bugs to fiddle around with, alone with body prep, but i will post back here when i get the paint shot and you guys can be the judge of the guns.

In all honesty, i think about 50% of it is the prep work, and about 25% of it is the after fresh paint job work (wet sanding and buffing). Leaves a short gap for a simple gun like this to fill, and as mentioned, i think that it will work when i got a multi purpose gun from walmart for $30, used it for primer, top coat, and clear coat, all with good results. Anything is possible when you put the time into it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 PM

Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 TPI

There is a reason why those spray guns only cost $30-$50 and good guns cost $350-$700. Honestly, I wouldn't recomend anything less than a DeVilbiss Finishline FLG-3. They can be had for $119-$139 depending on the number of tips you get. I would hate to see you mix up some expensive paint only to end up with orange peel and over spray. However if you're getting good results (which could be subject to interpretation) then use the cheap guns.
In my opinion the word "cheap" shouldn't be used to describe equipment that's going to apply expensive paint.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Supreme Member

84redta- Although to a large extent I agree with you, I do think that you’re slightly underestimating the importance of a decent gun. Like a lot of other things, they could basically function but function badly enough that they’re more trouble then they’re worth.

My point in asking the question is that the purple guns are really quite decent, I was wondering if anyone has tried the polished aluminum ones so they can tell me if they’re similar, good, bad, whatever.

WRT to your $30 walmart gun, the first few major paint projects I did were with a couple of _OLD_ department store guns that my dad had, a Montgomery ward gun from probably the 50’s, and a sears gun from probably the 70’s, using what was supposed to be a 3hp compressor which was lucky if it was 1.5hp…. Let’s face it, my big compressor and what amount to be pretty decent HVLP guns are worlds ahead of what I’ve made to work before.

RAD5, have you ever used one of these guns? Until you have I don’t think it’s fair to judge them. I’ve used a bunch of guns from the old junk that my dad had, to a $450 Sata, and I few in between, including a $150 or so finishline. To be blunt, I think that the only difference in output between the HF purple HVLP guns and the $450 Sata would be that the owner of the sata would be more likely to know what they’re doing. I don’t think that _anyone_ would be able to tell the difference in the finished product produced with either gun with the same size tip.

In actual use, well besides the obvious difference in fit/finish I had a hard time telling the difference. My friend that owned the Sata tried my HF purple gun and the only difference he saw was that in use he thought that a similar setup with both guns the Sata might lay down more material faster, he wasn’t positive. His comment was that he would just set up the 2 guns differently if that was really the case, but that for someone that doesn’t do this every day he thought that it would be easier to strike a happy medium between getting runs and getting a dry coat, basically that there was a greater range where the gun was setup close enough that you would get good results or set it up to go a little slower for someone that isn’t as used to doing this kind of thing.

FWIW, I have not had a reason to do a whole car since I tried the HF guns, but I _really_ like the purple detail gun, to a large extent it’s replaced spray cans, brushes… it can lay down paint slower or much faster than a spray can, depending what I’m trying to do in a perfectly smooth coat and with almost air brush like precision.

More than anything else, I think I spent like $39 on either one of the purple guns, which means that I’m nowhere near as worried about ruining it than I would be with a $$$ sata or a middle of the road finishline so I’m willing to try things/experiment with them in ways that I wouldn’t dare with a more expensive gun.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

well that was my point, in all honesty i know it's left up to interpretation, so i'm not arguing there, but my theory is backed up by 83 Crossfire...i understand with greater amounts of money you get better quality to the point you can guarantee every time you take it out your going to get the results you want, but for $39, i can afford to replace it if i screw up the gun in whatever way.

My $30 walmart gun was just a point of reference, i had to redo the front clip of my 2000 nissan pathfinder, of which from factory came with the worst paint job i've ever seen come on a car. It had orange peal worse than an amateur trying to paint for the first time...even my 2006 nissan xterra has orange peal...they don't care as much as they do with thier infiniti's. Anyways, my point in reference to that was the fact that by the time i was done...the rest of the car had orange peal, but the front clip that i did was nearly mirror smooth. I'm not going to say it was perfection, and i almost cryed when i read that i had to scuff up the clear coat to buff it out, but i did it and as mentioned, it looked better than the rest of the car for the most part.

In theory, i understand fully the use of spending $$$ on a high quality gun. But in all honesty...i don't plan on painting cars but probably once every 5 years, and spending that kind of money for an investment won't pay itself off in 20 years. I'm not going for show quality, i'm just going for better than the primer spray can the previous owner used on the car, i want it to shine and be flashy, and look good from 5 feet away, i'm not looking for it to be perfect from 5 inches. In the end it's left to owners preference which can't be argued, but do understand that i do see the value of a multi hundred dollar gun, just not at this point in life, when i get older and more established financially, and decide to pick this up as a more re-occuring profession for myself or others, than i will definally invest wisely.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Hey 84 redta that set of paint guns actually work pretty darn good for a cheap gun. Just keep them clean and they will work out great.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

thank you, i will hopefully be experiencing that in a couple of weeks from now when i go to lay down a coat of paint.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM

What color????
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

gunmetal metallic
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Nice!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

yea it should be, you can see the signature, but some of the latest additions were the Trans Am/GTA special molded door panels, and 89+ Formula 16" Turbo wheels with the bolts around the edges, Trans am sway bars and IROC wonder bar. It's a starting point, just getting everything all settled, painted, and back together.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

Car: 89 z
Engine: Chevy 383
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.73

I use the Finishline FLG3 by Devilbiss and swear by it. It's the cheapest production/professional type gun that works great, is rebuildable and parts can be easily bought anywhere. If you plan on using more than occasionally then get the DeKups system with it. That is the disposable liners and caps that eliminates most of the mess and lets you paint at any angle, even upside down.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by rosco88ta
Hey 84 redta that set of paint guns actually work pretty darn good for a cheap gun. Just keep them clean and they will work out great.
Which set are you talking about? The polished ones that I just brought up or some others?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Norwood
I use the Finishline FLG3 by Devilbiss and swear by it. It's the cheapest production/professional type gun that works great, is rebuildable and parts can be easily bought anywhere. If you plan on using more than occasionally then get the DeKups system with it. That is the disposable liners and caps that eliminates most of the mess and lets you paint at any angle, even upside down.
I’m not sure that either end of that has any impact on one of the cheaper HF gun purchases. They’re all rebuildable and parts are just as available for them as they are for other guns, as a matter of fact, the purple guns are supposed to be the same as the porter cable and the parts interchangeable (I haven’t tried it but have seen multiple reports and pictures showing that to be the case).

As far as the DeKups setup, you just buy the right adaptor bushing and use it with whatever you want.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 AM

Car: 1988 iroc/2000 saab 9-5
Engine: 355 tpi/Roller cam
Transmission: 700r4/2800 stall,megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3;42

Just an opin.
I Use a cheap conv.lower jug unit, bought at a parts store for $50
Just regulate your air to 30-35psi.and keep it clean,then toss it.or use it just for primer,on the next paint job.
And buy another one, next time you paint.
HVLP,Is better,hands down,but a little complicated,untill you find the sweet spot.
You can do a budget nice looking paint job for $300 or less,complete with gun,to get you going.and its easy.
Acrylic,{dupont or nason}go slow/heavy on the last coat.for shine.
Primer/sealer{nason}Sandable stuff works good,and fills in the sanding perfections.
Siphon gun,acrylic enamel{go heavy},primer sealer,nib file,and youll be styling,and shining,its the easiest,budget wise,in your situation.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 TPI

I have used cheaper guns from Harbor Freight and was not happy with the results. I thought it was me and my lack of skill, but I got a better gun and it was a night and day difference. I know with the better guns you are paying a lot for the name. Any spray gun is only as good as the needle, tip, and air cap, that's real meat and potatoes of the gun. Just like our engines; it's all about atomization. Like I said before, if your getting good results; then carry on. I know people have had good results with cheaper guns; I wasn't one of them. However just don't go too cheap.