Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Got pulled over for no front plate and window tint :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got pulled over for no front plate and window tint :(

first of all i have to let out some frustration and say i hate cops (if a cop is reading this im sorry but you anoy me) i know they are suppose to protect the innocent but all they do is drive me crazy and they are all *******s... now to the point i just got pulled over for no front plate and window tint and i need to know were to get a plate mount for my car. I have a 91 camaro z28. Also he told me to stip my back window too but i looked it up and it is legal to have any tint in back window and 50% in side windows. here are some pics of my car what % tint do you think i have i bought the car this way. also he pulled me over when i was driveing with my drivers side window down. as long as i have my windows down what is the poblem?

ps
this kind of crap makes me want to move i love my car they way it is i was not hurting anyone by doing this. Why is window tint illegal anyway? WHAT HAPPEND TO LAND OF THE FREE i can call bush a ******* but i can't tint my windows in my car WTF!!

edit
also i read that somone got off the ticket in court because his car did not come with a front plate mount stock
Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Re: Got pulled over for no front plate and window tint :(

In Iowa the law states it has to be visible from the front, so me and my friend stuck ours in the windshield. As for the tint, thats a safety issue, but most cops wouldn't pull you over for it unless they feel like being a d*ck.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 AM

Car: 1987 GTA T/A
Engine: 350 V8
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: rebuilt stock ratios

I dunno where you live but down here in Texas we only have to have a back plate. Even if ours came with a front. I remember my Explorer had a front one knocked off at a football game. Drove it like that til the day i sold it. As for window tint...i don't think yours is all that dark, he was probably just being an *******. The ones around here are.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:59 AM

thanks for the info by the way i live in ohio. The cop said it is way more then 50%. I was following all the 'important' laws at the time

edit
so does my 91 come with no front plate stock? Where do i get mount. I told him i could not find a mount for it and he said "we don't care how you get it on there just get it on there". There is no way i am drilling holes in my car to mount a plate i will the pay the damn $60 or so ticket every so often.

Last edited by yusky03; 10-06-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(

Originally Posted by yusky03
f (if a cop is reading this im sorry but you anoy me)
your an idiot!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 AM

Car: 75 SHORTBED
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: stock

4 chits and giggles

http://www.livevideo.com/video/APnew...oes-off-o.aspx
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 hsr
Transmission: 700R4(blown)
Axle/Gears: 3:73

1. not all cops are dicks man, that like me saying your a red neck and have a mullit . why is this word being blocked?~edit~ {sp i know it's incorect}

2. any junk yard would have it the front plate mount
or here http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/8483.
it take 2 srews look around the bord sponor sites you will find it.
too dark of a tint looks coo but if an officer pulls you over he wants to see you and what you are doing. he doesnt want to have the door/window open and shots fired and not be ready
3 your car looks good ,nice and clean
4. ive had a cop pull a u turn on me for a front plate....and i wasn't even driving my own car.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:03 AM

i dont think anyone hates cops..i sure dont..

my last "run in" with the police is as follows...

i finally got my truck running, i drive it down the street, {good liceance, registration,insurrance},,,, pull up at my buddies house...walk across the street, pop the hood, to smoke cigs and check out my chrome engine... cop pulls up and tells me he can impound my truck because im working on it in the street, {no tools, not under hood} ....so i shut the hood and continue smoking and talking...well, i guess i wasnt "scared" enough so cop throws it in park and tells us to sit on the curb...searches us, then sits us on the curb... ask's us what type of drugs we are on and what we are on parole for...lol.. so he asks if he can search the truck..{hes already violated several constitutional rights} so i said go right ahead... so i hear all kinds of noise, stuff banging around, stuff tearing..... while the other guy was standing behined us so we dont {attack} my friends grandmother said she was going to sue for harrasment, the police said go ahead, wont be the first time......

shortly after, while the driver was ransacking my truck, the other one said, whos exhaust sytem is that in the back of your truck.?... i say...its mine...off my old truck.......he says...."looks stolen to me"... asks the other cop if it looks stolen to him.....he said "sure does"..... i asked him why is he saying that...he said, basically, it doesnt matter if the charges stick.....its just the hassle of me having to go to court...and pay court fees...

after taking down our names, and where we work, they got in there cruiser and left...

how many times were my constitutional rights broken?...lol im 34....i got PLENTY of stories like that... again...knowbody hates cops...but we all need to understand they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.. and serve the public... they dont violate the constititutional rights....they intimidate you into waving them... its not right.. just my .02
Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

When they ask to search your car, always say no.

They have to get a warrant from a judge to search your car, and unless they have some actual reason for searching, no judge will give it to them.

Did anyone see that video of the cop who pulled over that kid, and then just went nuts on him. Telling him he can make up any crime he wanted to take him to jail, because the kid got smart with him. Cop didn't know the kid had a video camera in the car...

The kid sent the video to all the media, and eventually the cop got fired for it.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by cdoyle
When they ask to search your car, always say no.

They have to get a warrant from a judge to search your car, and unless they have some actual reason for searching, no judge will give it to them.

Did anyone see that video of the cop who pulled over that kid, and then just went nuts on him. Telling him he can make up any crime he wanted to take him to jail, because the kid got smart with him. Cop didn't know the kid had a video camera in the car...

The kid sent the video to all the media, and eventually the cop got fired for it.
lol..yep.. after he saw the camera he totally changed his tune 180 degrees, because the kid told him it was a live feed...lol...

the kid is getting death threats and getting stocked......wonder by who?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700 R4

Glad to hear that the cop got fired.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6

Come to Florida. No front tags here at all. And my back window is 35% - the legal limit here.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 350TPI w/ Speed Density
Axle/Gears: Borg warner 3.27

I have to say that in my town, most of the cops are cool. I've had conversations with them. But there is this one rookie who always acts like a hard***. You know what I mean. He pulled me over twice in one weekend because I didn't have my front plate on. The second time, I showed him the ticket and he just said "Well get that fixed and I wont pull you over again".

Here's a solution to drilling through your bumper cover - Mount the license plate to some steel, then position some neodynium magnets behind the bumper cover (glue them on in the inside, with epoxy, or fiberglass them). Then, you can just pull it off when you don't want it on, yet it will hold strong when its on.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg

Don't say you hate cops, hate is a powerful word. There are a few towns that I have little respect for, but I don't "hate" them

In Ohio, its the law to have a front plate and to have your tint at a certain %. I understand that you don't agree with the law, neither do I, but you know its the law, so fix the problem or pay the ticket (if its a fix it ticket).

I drive without a front plate too, I keep it next to me. If I am to get pulled over for it, I know that I took the risk, so ultimately its my fault, not his.

I also just read the last part of your post. The tint law is in force for your safety and the safety of police officers. If your window is tinted dark and he pulls you over with highly tinted windows, you could have a gun and he wouldn't know about it. So the tint law has nothing to do with the land of the free. The United States IS the land of the free, I dare you to find a country that gives its citizens as much freedom as ours does. Also, hes our President, and you respect the rank, not the person, so watch what you say.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Car: 84 camaro z28
Engine: 350 Carb
Transmission: Built 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by VETTEpwrdZ28

wish i had a camera the time i got arrested, i could of had 4 cop badges in one night.

there is not tint laws in my city. i got 5 percent tint all around.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

Your tint looks way darker than 50% from the pics you posted. I don't understand why people complain about getting pulled over for front tags and tint. It's your responsibity to know what the tint and tag laws are. I would perfer to have 20% tint on my car, but I can't, it's against the law. And the front plate issue, you drill 3 holes in the bumber cover, mount the tag bracket, put the plate on it. Then you don't have to worry about being pulled over for stuff like this. The I don't want to drill holes in my car is a lame excuse, when the tag is mounted correctly, nobody will ever see the holes. I've seen people mount the tag to the lower airdamn under the car, maaybe an option for you, but I'll keep mine where it is supposed to be, so I don't get pulled over for something stupid. If you comply with the motor vehicle laws, then you won't get hassled by the cops.

Just my
Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg

Originally Posted by krisb410
Your tint looks way darker than 50% from the pics you posted. I don't understand why people complain about getting pulled over for front tags and tint. It's your responsibity to know what the tint and tag laws are. I would perfer to have 20% tint on my car, but I can't, it's against the law. And the front plate issue, you drill 3 holes in the bumber cover, mount the tag bracket, put the plate on it. Then you don't have to worry about being pulled over for stuff like this. The I don't want to drill holes in my car is a lame excuse, when the tag is mounted correctly, nobody will ever see the holes. I've seen people mount the tag to the lower airdamn under the car, maaybe an option for you, but I'll keep mine where it is supposed to be, so I don't get pulled over for something stupid. If you comply with the motor vehicle laws, then you won't get hassled by the cops.

Just my
Yeah but I wouldn't want to drill holes into my bumper either. Its not the fact that you can't see them, its the fact that you know they are there. I guess different people think different things are ok for their cars. And thats ok, its your car, paint a purple pony on it for all I care.

But I do agree 100% that if you know your breaking the law, then take the consequences like a man, rather then complain about them like a child.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Car: 1983 Recaro T/A
Engine: L69
Transmission: MM5
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Its not drilling the holes is the problem, its the front plate. They look horrible on Trans Ams and Camaros.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 PM

heres the cold hard truth.... those tiny little infractions are probable cause.... meaning if the policeman doesnt like the way you look at him or you fit some type of profile....he can pull you over and just say it was because of some totally out there infraction..... and if ur 100% legit, they can just say you pulled out to fast, weaving, "acting suspisios".....anything...

pretty much if you have any aftermarket parts you are subject to a violation of some sorts... most states still write tickets for ...." modified exhaust" so unless ur rocking the original mufler and pipes...ur asking to be pulled over...

click it or ticket has been exposed as nothing more then a refenue generator..

they say on average everytime we are pulled over, the police violate 7 of our constitutional rights...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Car: 1986 IROCZ
Engine: LB9....rebuilding coming soon
Transmission: rebuilt 700R4

My sisters fiance is a local deputy i went to school with him hes a nice guy and i do respect police wether ur flipping burgers or shooting drug dealers its a job back to topic i got pulled over in a neighbor county years ago when i had my iroc for no front plate and window tint i got a ticket for the plate but i told the cop i bought the car that way :lie: and was gonna have it taken off:lie: point is if anything on ur car is illegal fix it so u wont be pulled over
Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77

Sucks to hear you got pulled over for no front license plate and your window tint. I also live in ohio, but I don't have a front plate for my TA. Never did, never will. Never got pulled over either, but it's not my daily driver. I realize I'm running the risk of getting pulled over, but I'm not worried about it. There are TONS of cars around where I live that don't have front plates. I don't really think they enforce it...although if a cop wanted to be a **** about it, I'm sure he could pull me over. My other daily drivers do have the front plates however.

My beater however has a cracked windshield, busted off drivers side mirror, rear plate lights don't work, and I have an exhaust loud enough to set off car alarms Oh, and I drove it for a month after my tags exprired.... Yah, I was just waiting to get pulled over I only drive it to work though which is a mile to and from home, don't really see cops in the short drive.

Anyway, on to the tint. First of all, how does the cop know what percentage of tint you have anyway? I'm sure he couldn't tell 50% from %70. Sounds like he was just looking for something to ticket you for. Also, I have looked everywhere for Ohio tint laws, and everything I have read so far is: Windshield top 5 Inches, Front Windows=%50 max, Back side windows=ANY TINT, and Rear Window=ANY TINT...so sounds like the cop was giving you BS.

Ever see any Dodge Magnums, or any of the new SUV's/MiniVans?? Check out their rear tint...Looks just as dark as your's from factory. From what I have read Ohio changed the law which used to be %50 tint all around. With new cars coming out with dark tint back seat windows and rear tint, it would seem that the numbers stated above would be correct. I got the information from a bunch of different places, but here is a link to one of them: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/
I believe this is the revised Ohio Tint Law of 2004...

Also, I can see your rear seats through your back window in the pic...so they can't be THAT dark.

As for front plates, there have been efforts to reverse the law but they keep getting turned down. Seems the police want them because it helps them identify oncoming cars easier...oh, and I read that it allows more accurate speed detection from the laser/radar being reflected from the front plate. Not sure if that is true or not...

Check out this petition to rid front plates in ohiohttp://www.petitiononline.com/ohplate/petition.html

Also if your car can have historical plates for being 25 years old or more, you are only required to run one plate in the rear. But then you are not allowed to use the car as general transportation.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

first of all that is a beautiful car man very clean and i signed the petition for you guys, we dont have that law here in newfoundland where i live and i think front plates look very stupid on a third gen except the black and silver one that says CAMARO
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

Couple of thoughts here. I guess our "buddies in the east" can be somewhat blamed. I mean if you pull into a border crossing without a front tag, then how are you identified and profiled? The other aspect is I have a fairly dark tint on my GTA windows so that the temporary tag can't be seen unless close up. I've been pulled over here in Canada as well as Washington. So, the first time I was pulled over, I asked the officer if the tint was too dark (as I had just bought the car), he said no, but that he wanted the tag placed higher. No problemo. The second time I got pulled over was in Lynden, Washington. He said he couldn't see the tag until he got closer, again no problem. The third time was in Vancouver, BC. - same story, no problem.

Is there a common thread? I think so. If a front plate is required in your jurisdiction, choke it back and put it on. Regarding the tint, I've explained (in a courteous fashion) that I had inquired about its level of darkness and had been told it was fine. I have never had an arguement about that since as obviously precident has been set. The result, no fines, no reprimands, no problems.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

I have been pulled over 8 times for lack of a front license plate. The car didn't come with one and I couldn't get one because of registration problems. I have since received new plates and keep the front plate on the dash of the drivers side. I've read up on Oregon laws and I've found that it is perfectly legal. BTW does anybody know what the fine is for not having a front plate in Oregon? one police officer told me that it was a $280 ticket, which I think is .

As for the tint. I've seen some police use a device that they place on the window when it's part way down and it somehow measure the tint %.

I've also been told that by denying a vehicle search you are giving the police offiver suspicion beyond reasonable doubt. I don't know how accurate that is though.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DBLTKE
I have been pulled over 8 times for lack of a front license plate. The car didn't come with one and I couldn't get one because of registration problems. I have since received new plates and keep the front plate on the dash of the drivers side. I've read up on Oregon laws and I've found that it is perfectly legal. BTW does anybody know what the fine is for not having a front plate in Oregon? one police officer told me that it was a $280 ticket, which I think is .

As for the tint. I've seen some police use a device that they place on the window when it's part way down and it somehow measure the tint %.

I've also been told that by denying a vehicle search you are giving the police offiver suspicion beyond reasonable doubt. I don't know how accurate that is though.
we are protected against search and siezure...without due cause...

meaning that the gustapo cant just yank us out of our cars and ransack them....

part of the whole "free" thing... as well as this thing called "the bill of rights"...

and as we all know...all a policemen has to say is..." hey bubba, i think i see a gun handle"... then they get the warrent...

here a cool short movie
How To Avoid Being Arrested

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...videoid=898259
Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Car: 89 z
Engine: Chevy 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.73

The reason you don't let them search it is because "THEY MIGHT PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR CAR THAT WASN'T THERE A MINUTE AGO". Very real and happens a lot. If they have to call a drug dog or get a warrant at least it will make it harder to plant something with other cops watching.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 AM

Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

The front plate thing is no big deal...and Im not sure why anyone didnt mention this yet...

Just get yourself some nice sturdy strap material. Bend it 90*. Find some bolts under your front bumper. Bolt the new brackets under there, and mount the plate to those. You can also install some rubber bumpers near the top of the plate, so it cant rest against your paint and not rub it raw. Just gotta make sure you clean and wax behind the bumpers regularily.

No holes in your bumper, you are now legal, and if you go to a show or whatever, two bolts and its gone. I just bought a TA from Ohio...and the front plate annoyed me a bit. Ugly holes, rub marks, etc. Im going to plug the holes with some body colored plugs.

On the tint thing... Here in PA, im pretty sure you can tint the back windows as dark as you want on SUVs but not cars. But sides cant have much if any. I had a chart around here somewhere for all the states, if I can find it Ill post it. I plan to get my eye doctor to write me a form that basically says I need window tint because my eyes are sensitive to light. Not a total lie...but from what I understand, it will allow me to tint my windows however I want and never get hassled about it because it shows up on my license. I hate peeling that stuff off... haha.

Good luck man!

Justin

EDIT: Found the chart. It has been last updated on 7/19/07 so it should be valid information. Everything you could need to know on your states tint laws.

Here is the link to the PDF file. The file is too big for me to attach it...

http://iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State...%207-19-07.pdf

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-08-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Car: 1991 RS, 84 El Camino conquista RIP
Engine: 5.0 (for now)
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.xx torsen limited slip & 3.42 ope

I live in Ohio too and have no front plate. I have the rs grille so i would probably get out of the car and say "how about this, you find a spot and i'll put it there." and yes the cops in OHIO are complete dicks! If you don't live here then you don't know. they would give there grandma a ticket and send her to jail for a crooked lisence plate.

take a picture of the front grille and bring it to court and be like "hey i have nowhere to put one" and if you bought it out of state then tell them you should have been informed when you gut the inspection.

good luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

Originally Posted by yusky03
first of all i have to let out some frustration and say i hate cops (if a cop is reading this im sorry but you anoy me) i know they are suppose to protect the innocent but all they do is drive me crazy and they are all *******s... now to the point i just got pulled over for no front plate and window tint and i need to know were to get a plate mount for my car. I have a 91 camaro z28. Also he told me to stip my back window too but i looked it up and it is legal to have any tint in back window and 50% in side windows. here are some pics of my car what % tint do you think i have i bought the car this way. also he pulled me over when i was driveing with my drivers side window down. as long as i have my windows down what is the poblem?

ps
this kind of crap makes me want to move i love my car they way it is i was not hurting anyone by doing this. Why is window tint illegal anyway? WHAT HAPPEND TO LAND OF THE FREE i can call bush a ******* but i can't tint my windows in my car WTF!!

edit
also i read that somone got off the ticket in court because his car did not come with a front plate mount stock
Doesn't matter if your windows are down- the car is still illegal. Basically the way I read this post "I'm a dumbass kid that is breaking a stupid law so I'm going to say the police are dumb for doing their job." Take it up with your law makers. It IS the land of the free, you're free to do whatever you want to your car. But if the government doesn't like it then you don't have the right to use the public roads we all share. And don't be so naive, you could have been hurting someone. The front plate is there to identify a car from the front (i.e. if someone commits a crime), and the tint laws are to protect the officer and the driver (being able to see at night is nice). Don't be a dumbass.

P.S. Use double sided tape to mount the plate, bring it to court/the police station, and you'll get off of your ticket. Then feel free to remove it and hope you don't get stopped again for it.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

The ticket for tint will never stick unless he used one of those tint-meters and actually measured the tint level.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdjosh
Doesn't matter if your windows are down- the car is still illegal. Basically the way I read this post "I'm a dumbass kid that is breaking a stupid law so I'm going to say the police are dumb for doing their job." Take it up with your law makers. It IS the land of the free, you're free to do whatever you want to your car. But if the government doesn't like it then you don't have the right to use the public roads we all share. And don't be so naive, you could have been hurting someone. The front plate is there to identify a car from the front (i.e. if someone commits a crime), and the tint laws are to protect the officer and the driver (being able to see at night is nice). Don't be a dumbass.

P.S. Use double sided tape to mount the plate, bring it to court/the police station, and you'll get off of your ticket. Then feel free to remove it and hope you don't get stopped again for it.
I totally agree. There are too many people that are blaming the police for enforcing the laws. I don't know about Ohio, but I used to live in Illinois (which requires a plate in front), and if you had the plate in plain view in your front window, it was good enough. As for the window tint, you can keep what ever darkness tint you want, but I will be when I hear that a cop shot you for making the wrong move during your next traffic stop. If you try not to break the law, then maybe you would see like everyone else that the police are just trying to do their jobs and keep you safe!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by GTA50
Couple of thoughts here. I guess our "buddies in the east" can be somewhat blamed. I mean if you pull into a border crossing without a front tag, then how are you identified and profiled?
Easy. If you're at a border crossing, you can't cross until the border officer is done with you. That means they can take almost all the time they want to walk around the vehicle, look at the back plate, look inside, ask for ID, etc, etc. You will be identified and possibly profiled. The front plate issue is minor to them. They are dealing with vehicles missing the front plate all the time. Many people cross from states and provinces that don't have them and it's not like they suddenly don't know what to do. Plus all border crossings have cameras all over the place and most have one that snaps a shot of your rear plate as you pull up. The officer has probably read it before he/she even says, "hello".

Also, your personal ID is not solely based on your vehicle's plates. The vehicle your in doesn't always mean it's yours or any of the passengers.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have the utmost respect for Police officers, and what they do for us. But there is a hand full of them that just have a chip on their shoulder, especially to teenagers driving nice, older cars. Maybe someone in their past had the same car, and are putting forth emotions that are very out of line, or they just want to **** some people off. I don't know.

But when I got into a car accident, at 4 in the morning in my father 2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, and the cops told me it was MY FAULT a honda t-boned me, I almost lost my mind, this traffic cop, who would be better having a desk job, then acting like he's a CSI crime detective, maybe it would've worked out easier. Wouldn't the other driver, being drunk, and having the front end of his car completely torn off be the one at fault? Or the 18 year old, just getting off of work, sober, and alert be?

At the end of the night it was a no-fault, merely because there was not enough evidence, and my girlfriends father, who is a border guard and trained with a few of the officers, saving my ***. But it could be worse, I could get pulled over for my exhaust leak, and have to pay to get my Y-pipe repaired...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM

Car: 91 Z-28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4, T-56 future

"Ever see any Dodge Magnums, or any of the new SUV's/MiniVans?? Check out their rear tint...Looks just as dark as your's from factory."

In MA, and I'm sure all the other states with tint laws, they can't make you put new glass in your car so factory tint is a non issue. The tint laws come into play with non factory tint jobs. I forget the percentages here in MA, but I used to have to take my top and doors off for inspection on my old Jeep.

"take a picture of the front grille and bring it to court and be like "hey i have nowhere to put one" and if you bought it out of state then tell them you should have been informed when you gut the inspection."

You are wasting your breath with that because they won't care. Also I used to have a 91 RS with the grill I believe you are talking about and there is a front license plate holder that easily goes into place with no damage/holes to the grill. I do agree that they should have told you during inspection though, you would have failed in MA.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Magsls1
"Ever see any Dodge Magnums, or any of the new SUV's/MiniVans?? Check out their rear tint...Looks just as dark as your's from factory."

In MA, and I'm sure all the other states with tint laws, they can't make you put new glass in your car so factory tint is a non issue. The tint laws come into play with non factory tint jobs. I forget the percentages here in MA, but I used to have to take my top and doors off for inspection on my old Jeep.

"take a picture of the front grille and bring it to court and be like "hey i have nowhere to put one" and if you bought it out of state then tell them you should have been informed when you gut the inspection."

You are wasting your breath with that because they won't care. Also I used to have a 91 RS with the grill I believe you are talking about and there is a front license plate holder that easily goes into place with no damage/holes to the grill. I do agree that they should have told you during inspection though, you would have failed in MA.
It all depends upon the state. The way that some state tint laws are written you can get in trouble for factory tint. The tint that new vehicles have available differ by states, and it is up to the buyer if they go out of state for a vehicle purchase a vehicle with tint too dark for the state that they live i to get it corrected. That being said, you should always know the laws of the state that you currently live in before purchasing the vehicle.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 PM

whatever. I don't care anymore. I'm not going to put a plate in my window b/c it's stupid and it'll fall of and scratch crap. I will NEVER put a plate upfront no matter what!

Ya know what, fine defend the cops. I'm sure they are nice where you are but around Youngstown and Akron they are not. No i don't know every one of them but to pull me over or someone else for no front plate when i have a legit plate on on the back with a two year registration. that is uncalled for. I've gone to court before and they always loose b/c judges in Youngstown are getting sick of the cops b/s.

I can't wait until i move to Europe so i can drive the autobahn and drive as fast as i can when i want. The U.S. needs to get one.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM

ryan91rs, why don't you just go drive in Montana. The last time that I checked they still have some of their roads w/out speedlimits.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM

kinda off topic but no blisters or high rise spoiler on a 91z?

anyone wanna fill me in
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

Originally Posted by ryan91rs
whatever. I don't care anymore. I'm not going to put a plate in my window b/c it's stupid and it'll fall of and scratch crap. I will NEVER put a plate upfront no matter what!
Easy fix. Just put some of those suction cups on your license plate and stick it to the inside of your front windshield. I found some that fit perfectly in the screw holes of the license plate. No falling, no scratching.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by GTAPresto
I dunno where you live but down here in Texas we only have to have a back plate. Even if ours came with a front. I remember my Explorer had a front one knocked off at a football game. Drove it like that til the day i sold it. As for window tint...i don't think yours is all that dark, he was probably just being an *******. The ones around here are.
Try again....

Front plates are still required in Texas. It was almost eliminated from the laws, but wasn't.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM

ya maybe i should move to Montana until i get enough dough and stuff to get to Europe.

and the suction cups are a good idea!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
On the tint thing... Here in PA, im pretty sure you can tint the back windows as dark as you want on SUVs but not cars. But sides cant have much if any. I had a chart around here somewhere for all the states, if I can find it Ill post it. I plan to get my eye doctor to write me a form that basically says I need window tint because my eyes are sensitive to light. Not a total lie...but from what I understand, it will allow me to tint my windows however I want and never get hassled about it because it shows up on my license. I hate peeling that stuff off... haha.

Good luck man!

Justin
I've got one of those letters from my eye doctor. Mine's 100& legit. I've had some eye surgery. That allowed me to get the letter. I sent a copy of it to TX DPS, and they sent me a letter, specifying the law, and exempting me from the window tint laws. I carry those 2 letters, and if a cop says anything about my tint being too dark, I pull out the letters. I actually had one try to say they were fake, and he could peel my tint right there, on the side of the road. I told him try it, and not only will I file a complaint, you'll be paying to retint my car. He wasn't happy, but he didn't push the subject any further. A complaint in his records, wouldn't look good. I had the 2 necessary letters, so you had no leg to stand on.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryan91rs
I can't wait until i move to Europe so i can drive the autobahn and drive as fast as i can when i want. The U.S. needs to get one.
Try again...Parts of & at certain times of day, the Autobahn does have limits now.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 305 5.0L....355 being built
Axle/Gears: 2.73 non-posi GM 7.5" 10 bolt

i dont HATE cops, but i dislike them. ive had good and bad experiences. one cop pulled me over for doin 16 over on the highway and took it down to 10 over so it wouldnt go on my insurance just cuz he liked my car. ive also been slapped in the face while on my knees because the cop was bein a d!ck and told me to shutup so i said "yes sir". after he hit me i said "thank u sir" and he pulled his baton/nightstick out, didnt hit me with it though. also had a good cop/bad cop thing. one was pissed off and pacing, the other one was being all nice and friendly and let me off with a warning. it all depends on what kind of night both parties are having.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

I've been on the AB and the only restriction is when it rains or bad conditions then it's 120kph or about 70mph. At least when i was there and it does not matter, i'll just go on when it's unlimited. and if a cop ever hit me then i would give him a reason to use the mace, tazer billy club and then call for backup. LOL.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

Same here, I have had good and bad experiences. I go to college in nashua NH, and most nashua cops are dicks. They will pull you over for BS reasons ect. But I got caught up in hollis (a hick town) drifting on a frozen lake last winter. The deputy asked me how much I had to drink, so I said nothing. He said he was in college once too and knows what beer smells like, so I told him the truth about having 1/2 a beer at least an hour ago. He gave me the field sobriety test, said I was too uncoordinated to drive, and told me to move my car to the side of the dirt road and leave it there. Then he told my buddy to give me a ride back to school and I could get my car in the morning. The reason I was pissed off was that devon had just half an hour before pounded 18 beers, and somehow the cop didnt smell it on him and he passed the field sobriety test. But at least neither of us got arrested or got DUI's.

Back in CT, we like to chill at a Dunkin Donuts parking lot in the evenings. They usually kick us out after midnight when the business closes. However, one night, they came down at 9:00 pm and we all got walking to leave, and they were like "hey, we came to investigate a noise complaint, you can be here because they are still open" so we all walked to talk to them, 3 more cop cars come and surround us, they take all our liscenses and start arresting people and giving tickets for criminal and simple tresspassing. I hate those kind of cops.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: numerous
Engine: ls1, others
Transmission: t56, others
Axle/Gears: 3.23 7.6"

Originally Posted by GTAPresto
i got pulled over about 10 times for having my license plate in the windshield instead of the bumper in TEXAS
and last time i got pulled over he decided to give me a running red light ticket because i drove trough intersection on yellow light.
they are trying to make college students to follow the law but instead they make students work extra hours to pay off the ticket and drop college
i understand speeding or actually running red light, but yellow lights just doesn't make sense to me

Last edited by yevgenievich; 10-11-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yevgenievich
i got pulled over about 10 times for having my license plate in the windshield instead of the bumper in TEXAS
That's because in the windshield, it's not legal. 9 outta 10 cops don't bother with pulling people over, or don't care, but per the law, it's illegal in your windshield.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
dr1

Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5

I've got pulled over for/ or at least noted, for no front plate, at least 4 times

so for the ones who are getting away with it, dont worry I'm covering for you, you can pay me back later

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for no front plate and window tint :(