Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

how do i straighten my core supportand front frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i straighten my core supportand front frame?

my car was hit from the front and side it looks like, so the bumper is pushed in too far and the thing that bolts to the front bumper is squished, and the front core support is kinda crooked rathe than bent. i know it can be cut out and removed, but its not that bad and i think its only off by half and inch or an inch. my hood doesnt line up on the passenger side but its hard to say since the hood was hit too, and i found bondo on it today and headlight cover too, so im not really sure whats all going on here. i just wanna fix it. right now i cant find a hood or nose for a price im cool with. i got my fender today and this peice that holds the front and latch, mine is pretty bent and warped, still need stuff related to the flip up light but i have yet to find a bird at pull a part with even a nose on it. the fender was a rare find on a 90 v6 car.kinda wanna restore this car, i have mixed feelings since im a ford guy pretty much other than having one of the rare GTU berettas that i loved to death and a 82 olds cuttie and a pontiac 6000,lol, so im afraid to dig into dumping alot of money in a older gm that probably needs a motor and tranny sooner or later. so keep in mind im on the most strict budget possible, dont tell me to take it to a shop..never have never will.im a back yard mech

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Re: how do i straighten my core supportand front frame?

and the crooked core support:

Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28, VIN F
Engine: 427 sbc, HSR
Transmission: T-56, self rebuilt 700+ hp
Axle/Gears: Moser 12bolt, 3.42 trutrac

You either get out a BFH and start whacking the metal back into shape, or you cut off the bent metal, and weld new in it's place..

Unless you have access to frame equipment and specs, you'll have to get known straight replacement pieces and mock them up and check for true. Otherwise, pull them back off, whack some more and retest..

That's why most people will tell you to take it to a shop. You say you want to do it right, and that's on a frame machine..

been there, done that...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Many shops would just use a floor puller on something like that, especially smaller ones that might not have a true frame machine. You may try something like a come along. I have pulled rad supports and minor rail damage with something like that before. You will need to tie the car down, and strip the bumper cover off of the car. Tie the hand puller to the smashed rebar and crank until you have lots of tension. Rapping on the end of the rail with a large hammer while under tension will allow the rail to pull back to the right length. DO NOT just remove the rebar and whack the rail with a hammer. Your rail has been shortened as well as pushed over by the impact. You HAVE to restore the length to the end of the rail to get a good repair and body panel fit. Keep tension on the rebar, and smack the rail with the hammer. As the rail pulls, crank more tension into the come along. Take your time, and you should be able to make the pull. You will notice that the support will move with the rail end. Tie the car down with chain, and pull as needed. You can pull off to the side as well as front to back until the nose is square again. Once the rail is back to length, toss the old bumper reinforcement and throw you replacement on the car. You can dress any remaining dings with filler, and repaint. NOTE: these hand pullers will pull with many tons of force, and you can damage the car and yourself if you are not careful. Use common sense, and stay clear of the cable as you pull. Make sure you have a good quality puller, and that you tie onto the rebar in such a way that the cable will not come loose. I have seen trees, utility polls, concrete filled posts, etc. used as "pulling towers". Make sure whatever you tie to is solid, as you do not want movement on your anchor point, nor do you want to pull it out of the ground! Good Luck, Oldtimer
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 PM

thanks thats how i got the core to where it is now, come a long. so i just have to work at it a little more, that lower part needs to be cutt off and new one welded on in its place i think
Originally Posted by oldtimer
Many shops would just use a floor puller on something like that, especially smaller ones that might not have a true frame machine. You may try something like a come along. I have pulled rad supports and minor rail damage with something like that before. You will need to tie the car down, and strip the bumper cover off of the car. Tie the hand puller to the smashed rebar and crank until you have lots of tension. Rapping on the end of the rail with a large hammer while under tension will allow the rail to pull back to the right length. DO NOT just remove the rebar and whack the rail with a hammer. Your rail has been shortened as well as pushed over by the impact. You HAVE to restore the length to the end of the rail to get a good repair and body panel fit. Keep tension on the rebar, and smack the rail with the hammer. As the rail pulls, crank more tension into the come along. Take your time, and you should be able to make the pull. You will notice that the support will move with the rail end. Tie the car down with chain, and pull as needed. You can pull off to the side as well as front to back until the nose is square again. Once the rail is back to length, toss the old bumper reinforcement and throw you replacement on the car. You can dress any remaining dings with filler, and repaint. NOTE: these hand pullers will pull with many tons of force, and you can damage the car and yourself if you are not careful. Use common sense, and stay clear of the cable as you pull. Make sure you have a good quality puller, and that you tie onto the rebar in such a way that the cable will not come loose. I have seen trees, utility polls, concrete filled posts, etc. used as "pulling towers". Make sure whatever you tie to is solid, as you do not want movement on your anchor point, nor do you want to pull it out of the ground! Good Luck, Oldtimer