Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

pics of my body work on the 84 bird:)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z28 / 88 Trans Am / 87 base
Engine: L69 H.O. / 468 BBC / 2.8 v6
Transmission: 89 700R4 / TH375B / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 open / 3.23 posi / 3.42 open
Re: pics of my body work on the 84 bird:)

must be nice to have a job that pays higher than minimum wage. not everybody can turn their project into a pristine ferari like you. anybody who keeps another of these cars from the crusher is doin the right thing in my mind. if you dont like our cars lookin ugly to you then you pay for the paint and repairs.

keep up the great work on this bird I like it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Mustang
Engine: 3.8L V6
Transmission: Automatic with overdrive
Axle/Gears: 2.73:1 axle ratio

Originally Posted by 87 formy
I didn't know there was an age limit at junk yards, how old do you have to be to get in? 18?
Here in MN the upullrparts lot you have to be 16 or over to get in.

But dude that fender is F**KED toss it and get a new or used one would be less work look better and only cost a little bit more, I found out on my car never go the cheap way.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Car: 84 z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: one wheel peel

personal.....as a ASE body repairman.....those front brackets need some work but ill be damned if id cut them off.......thing about 3rd gens is they are made from really thin metal.....chances are u could pull the front cover and bumper....get a sledge and hit it in the right place a few times.....and be in bussiness.....assuming you put a new bumper and cover on it.....your old bumper is bent and it would be hard to find the oem placment with nothin to go by......Oh yeah......BBQ BLACK is a total waste of time.....for about 30 dollars you could have primed the whole car...and wet sanded and had it preped for base coat....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Car: '90 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Car: 1998 Mustang
Engine: 3.8L V6
Transmission: Automatic with overdrive
Axle/Gears: 2.73:1 axle ratio

Originally Posted by 84noname
ok here it is plus i got the front support where the hood latch goes cus mine was trashed , got it all for $38
Okay I take that back did not see this post, thats the right thing to do.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Car: All sold :-(
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: None

It looks like a Firebird S/E, which is kind of a rare car to find nowadays.
It's always nice to see another Thirdgen get a new lease on life
Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Car: 88 iroc camaro
Engine: jasper 350, l98
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo, shift kit.
Axle/Gears: stock

as long as you can get it inspected, it is safe, and it is dependable i would say it is worth continuing the project. i hate seeing rusty hondas with no exhaust that look like they are about to fall apart but the driver still manages to put on a $300 wing and drive around with a $1500 stereo system full blast. but i really dont mind seeing a BBQ paint job. Its the inside that counts. sorry about the rant!!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by 88KARRV6
It looks like a Firebird S/E, which is kind of a rare car to find nowadays.
It's always nice to see another Thirdgen get a new lease on life
yeah it is a firebird s/e are they rare????? i didnt know this. im keepin my bird, i love how it drives.and it realy has no dents any place except the front now with the new fender. i got everything straight for a new nose and inner bumper so to all the haters. my car drives sweet and roasts em, what else matters when ur pretty slomaro blows its motor?? the interior is pretty decent, headliner doesnt even sag, power everything works a/c works too but i have leaky cooler, but i can charge it and its good for a few weeks
for all the pretty camaro boys thats why i have a modded 5.0 mustang to embarress you with when i pass you and your ******. for the record firebirds where never ****** cars, they were the nicer of the 2 cars always.anyways its my car and i will do what i want with it, if u dont like how it looks come save it, otherwise let me do the saving. this isnt the first car i have saved. i only used one can or brbq black on it, mostly to seal the primer as primer isnt water proof. car will get proper paint soon as i find the nose i want and get my hardwood hood then what will u say???
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by irockid86
as long as you can get it inspected, it is safe, and it is dependable i would say it is worth continuing the project. i hate seeing rusty hondas with no exhaust that look like they are about to fall apart but the driver still manages to put on a $300 wing and drive around with a $1500 stereo system full blast. but i really dont mind seeing a BBQ paint job. Its the inside that counts. sorry about the rant!!
thanks man, the bird is coming along good, all black now bad oil leak though, rear main seal i think, and my tranny link broke too but still running strongstill havent found a decent nose or a new hood patients and i will find my hood soon, nose is another story, but its not too bad so i wil deal with it.want to put a 350 in here with a t5
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM

yeah it is a firebird s/e are they rare????? i didnt know this. im keepin my bird, i love how it drives.and it realy has no dents any place except the front now with the new fender. i got everything straight for a new nose and inner bumper so to all the haters. my car drives sweet and roasts em, what else matters when ur pretty slomaro blows its motor?? the interior is pretty decent, headliner doesnt even sag, power everything works a/c works too but i have leaky cooler, but i can charge it and its good for a few weeks
for all the pretty camaro boys thats why i have a modded 5.0 mustang to embarress you with when i pass you and your ******. for the record firebirds where never ****** cars, they were the nicer of the 2 cars always.anyways its my car and i will do what i want with it, if u dont like how it looks come save it, otherwise let me do the saving. this isnt the first car i have saved. i only used one can or brbq black on it, mostly to seal the primer as primer isnt water proof. car will get proper paint soon as i find the nose i want and get my hardwood hood then what will u say???

slomaro.........haha....everybody knows the firebirds where the grandpa 3rd gen.... As for your 5.0 mustang.....there is no replacement for displacment...plus it aint wise to come to a GM forum and talk junk about how a ford is better.....b/c im sure there will be a quite a few angry ppl...

PS. ever hear of epoxy primer? its water proof..(lets be adults here...no need to get hot under the collar)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Malibu
Engine: Blown LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"/wavetrac/35's/3.70

atleast mask off the f*ckin windows, fix it properly, im not trying to be an ***, but it looks half assed when you got a solid line of overspray on your back window, id dig a little deeper, chances are theres alot more damage than what can be seen... oh and btw dont come here and talk **** about camaros, camaro came first, and if you want to go up against my car go right ahead guarantee you wouldnt stand a chance. your coming to a thirdgen site and bashing camaros, this isnt just a firebird site.

Last edited by 1986Z28OWNER; 10-02-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

well im not even gonna try to debate this whole 'my firebird is faster than your camaro' or vice versa....i'm in here to say that atleast hes working onit...sure it may not be good looking, but i know that when i was in the restoration process of my car, it looked like hell came up, swallowed it, crapped it out and then swallowed it again.....and no, itsnot right to come on here saying that a ford is better than a gm, but i must say, factory, a 5.0 mustang would probably cook a thirdgen...ijust got beat by a brand new v6 mustang...im not proud, im pretty ashamed, but my excuse is that everything to do with my motor is original....even the spark plug wires and the belts....i'm not proud of that either but thats my excuse.......anyway, yes weknow that camaros came first but that does not have to do with who's car is faster....i could have a 383 stroker with twin turbos under my hood and smoke the car you got....but i dont....just like you could have a 573 (yeah, good luck with that one) under your hood and smoke the 383 TT......look all im saying is that hes workin on it, dont bash him for working......i know that you "pretty camaro's" as he would call it worked hard to get your camaro so pretty....i worked all summer just on the bodywork on my trans am jsut to get it ready to paint and iam veryproud of the way it works....i am proud of the trophies ive won at shows, and no matter what third gen you own, you should be proud of it and respect the other third genners
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1979 Malibu
Engine: Blown LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 9"/wavetrac/35's/3.70

im not bashing his work, i admire anyone thats works on there own car, im bashing his attitude. calling camaros slowmaros because he beat a camaro with his stock 305 firebird is nothing to brag about, hes out there workin on his own car and thats more than i can say for some people i know that own these cars.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

i understand, i admire the work aswell...i know how hard its been working on my car, but youre right, its not right of him to go bashing a car that is practically his...firebirds and camaros are the same car, same body lines, same chassis, same motor...so whenyou think about it, he should be bashing firebirds too....although i wouldnt appreciate that much lol i do agree that 84noname should just calm down a bit, this is a family site, we're all members of that family...we all have the same interest, our third gens and to go smack talking them is not fair to anyone else on this site....people put a lot of hard work and dedication into their cars, i know i have and i'm sure everyone else who has parted off half of each of their paychecks all summer just to get their car looking nice and running nice and performing nice would like to brag, but theyre bigger than that, if you would like to talk smack about racing....see the 'theoretical street racing' forum...maybe you can find someone else there who shares your interest in hating members of your own family
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 Trans-Am
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 or 3.73..figuring it out still

All I am going to say here is the person started a thread to show progress on a project. He didn't really ask for any feedback. He recieved a lot of negative feedback and most of it was a bit over the top in critisizing it rather than making constructive coments that would be helpful. Not everyone has a big budget and just tries to get their car going and looking fairly decent with the hopes of one day doing it properly.

That being said, this is a public forum and it's primary focus is Third Gen cars. Posting on here is going to result in feedback. Unless you have a thick enough skin to take all forms of feedback good and bad, you probably shouldn't post. I appreciate anyone who does their own work, but if you are going to post it on a public forum, expect some level of criticism if you are not doing a professional quality repair.

I hope you enjoy the work and enjoy the driving the car. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. What other people think is irrelevant unless their opinion is your sole reason for doing the work. If working on a car that is hopeless to others keeps you sane (as I tend to do myself in spite of everyone else's commentary), than by all means do it. That car is far from hopeless by the way. Anyway, storybook finished. Good luck on the project.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath94
All I am going to say here is the person started a thread to show progress on a project. He didn't really ask for any feedback. He recieved a lot of negative feedback and most of it was a bit over the top in critisizing it rather than making constructive coments that would be helpful. Not everyone has a big budget and just tries to get their car going and looking fairly decent with the hopes of one day doing it properly.

That being said, this is a public forum and it's primary focus is Third Gen cars. Posting on here is going to result in feedback. Unless you have a thick enough skin to take all forms of feedback good and bad, you probably shouldn't post. I appreciate anyone who does their own work, but if you are going to post it on a public forum, expect some level of criticism if you are not doing a professional quality repair.

I hope you enjoy the work and enjoy the driving the car. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. What other people think is irrelevant unless their opinion is your sole reason for doing the work. If working on a car that is hopeless to others keeps you sane (as I tend to do myself in spite of everyone else's commentary), than by all means do it. That car is far from hopeless by the way. Anyway, storybook finished. Good luck on the project.
thanks there are some really cool people on here, seems its us broke guys who teach ourselves how to do what others pay for. i could argue a million things about what has been posted on here, but its a waste of time. i will just make a few points and leave it alone.
first off i have never raced anyone in my firebird, let alone a camaro. why would i ? if its a v6 i win if its a v8 its even or beating me, why bother.
second a stock 85-93 5.0l mustang will eat any stock 305 3rd gen, and will beat most any stock 350 thats not a ls1. so hows that bragging its know among us, its a respectable challenge to beat a 5.0 i just happen to have both. i love them both.a srt4 neon will beat both cars stock so whats the big deal. people talk smack and when i dish the facts back they get hurt. im sorry but a 15 sec car is slow. my civic ran low 15s, so what does that say??? if you didnt bust your knuckles and get your hands dirty working on your car then youre opinion is mearly not much more than hearsay and shouldnt be voiced, but if people must, well then lets try to keep it to where at least some one benefits from it wether it be me or another memember. im here to save a 3rd gen, what are you here to do? bash me for doing so?

ps over spray comes of with gas and a rag on glass or a a razor or 400 wet sand, so who cares, im not letting it rust and the back window is getting replaced.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM

dude....lets not talk stockers....lol almost everybody here has some kind of upgrade....i never thought it was a great big deal to beat a 302 mustang....as a matter of fact my cousin has a mustang with a 302.....and i waxed his A$$ with a 3.9 V6 Dodge dakota on 33s......Stick That in Your Pipe and smoke it scott...rofl...On a more Serious Note, I agree with you 100% on the learning as you go process....Us poor boys cant pay.....be we sure as hell know how to play
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Car: 92 camaro rs
Engine: 350 tbi/416's/comp xe268
Axle/Gears: 3.42

well my 92 camaro was in about as bad of shape as that bird was but I picked it up for 500 dollars and drove my grandam around till i at least had it running right and it was all 1 color lol. Now the maro sits at the shop as i go in after working 2 full time jobs and finish her up. So a ****** mobile it may have started for you but hang in there. In the end your friends will only look at you as an artist, not a ****** boy.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Car: 92 camaro rs
Engine: 350 tbi/416's/comp xe268
Axle/Gears: 3.42

they are bleeping out m u l l e t ?? why
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

you wanna see a ****** mobile? try driving this one around all summer trying to raise money for paint:

that was my mu llet mobile and believe me, it wasnt quick, i still got original spark plug wires and belts on it...the only thing the previous two owners did was wash it (but never waxed it) and changed the oil lol no real tune ups
----------
oh and by the way,heres the finished product after all summer of saving for my paint...

although now i have the fourth gen spoiler on the mirrors the vents and gas door now, but yeah, that was it...i think it looks pretty good now and its your car and really all that matters is what you think ofit

Last edited by racerx520; 10-08-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

It's amazing what some good body work and a decent paint job can accomplish.. your bird looks great now! On a side note what kinda car show were you at? I counted 4 or 5 stangs just in the background of your pics and they were all fairly new.. intresting parking spot in the last pic btw, kinda reminds me of the part in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where he parks in front of the door on the curb and asks "What is this not a reasonable place to park?"
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by jay_d
dude....lets not talk stockers....lol almost everybody here has some kind of upgrade....i never thought it was a great big deal to beat a 302 mustang....as a matter of fact my cousin has a mustang with a 302.....and i waxed his A$$ with a 3.9 V6 Dodge dakota on 33s......Stick That in Your Pipe and smoke it scott...rofl...On a more Serious Note, I agree with you 100% on the learning as you go process....Us poor boys cant pay.....be we sure as hell know how to play
well its simple displacement is only relative to how well everything else flows. this is why a ford 302 and a gm 305 stock are so differant. they have motors that are around 2-3l that put out plus 200hp,but if a 3.9 dakota is anything like the one i drove then ur cousin has something wrong with his motor.
and mods to me, well exaust and cia dont count.almost everyone has that. but a 305 or 350 stock in a 3rd gen isnt going to beat a healthy85-93 5.0 mustang. its not a opinion its a fact. they are lighter and make way more low end torque.and the power is at a usable spectrum in the rpm range.
so stock wise, and most 3rd gens around here are bone stock or have a bone stock 350 truck motor swapped in them. i dont care about a dakota, give me a srt4 and 5 grand and ill smoke anything on here. and its a 2.4l so whats the point anything can be made fast. a 1.6l civ can run 10s with the right stuff and still be a d.d. and trust me im not making the stock 200hp 297ftlbs in mt mustang. and if u have a nice 350 try racing a 351w swapped stang and then i will be impressed. its ignorance like this that makes people sit on one side of the fence or the other, and if u make me, i will.ford
Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

haha thanks, and the car show i was at was a benifit, i found two other third genners out of almost 200 cars so i decided to go join them, you cant see them in the pic but one is a formula and the other a drag racing IROC, and yeah, the mustangs? theyre all f ags, kids that are just out of high school with gelled hair and way too much of mommy and daddy's money....they claimed to be a car club except the had the same accessory on every single of their 11 cars haha, i dont see the point in that but i guess because mustangs are so generic, they only make 1 brand and style of part for each application? that woudl be my best bet
Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by racerx520
haha thanks, and the car show i was at was a benifit, i found two other third genners out of almost 200 cars so i decided to go join them, you cant see them in the pic but one is a formula and the other a drag racing IROC, and yeah, the mustangs? theyre all f ags, kids that are just out of high school with gelled hair and way too much of mommy and daddy's money....they claimed to be a car club except the had the same accessory on every single of their 11 cars haha, i dont see the point in that but i guess because mustangs are so generic, they only make 1 brand and style of part for each application? that woudl be my best bet
well i tell u what buy my car . im done! ur all too nice. i dont want to associate with this ignorance. the car is gone, im getting rid of it if i have to give it away.i will never touch a pos gm ever again, cus i dont like the pos people that own them, sorry u all have been to nice. the bone yard will give me $75 for it either way paid 100. ur alll azzes except one person in oregon, and he knows who he is, sorry bro. these people pushed me too far. im done
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Car: 1989 T/A
Engine: PROCHARGED LB9
Transmission: FB BUILT 700r4 2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 BOLT EATON 3:73 POSI

dude, ur gonna junk a car because some people on here pissed u off.. that should just make u want to work harder on that bird, and make it awesome! there's still lots of potential in any thirdgen, just browse around this site a bit and youll see.. remeber- "DONT CRUSH EM, RESTORE EM"
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 BMW M5

LOL good job dude. Real good job. You are judging GM's and the people who work on them, all by the fact that you were too cheap to buy a nice car to start out with. Awesome.

Of course people are going to razz you when you come on a car board with a junkyard $100 car and start bondoing and using wood sanding tools and say "look at the body work I am doing".

LOLOL

Last edited by 327_TPI_77_Maro; 10-10-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT
dude, ur gonna junk a car because some people on here pissed u off.. that should just make u want to work harder on that bird, and make it awesome! there's still lots of potential in any thirdgen, just browse around this site a bit and youll see.. remeber- "DONT CRUSH EM, RESTORE EM"
I UNDERSTAND, WELL HERES THE LAST PICS I WILL POST, AS U SEE IT LOOKS OK NOW, BUT IM TRADING IT FOR A DIFFERANT CAR...IM DONE.
AND YES I CLEAN UP THE OVERSPRAY ON THE GLASS

Last edited by 84noname; 10-10-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

What state are you in?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

too bad, looks like the bird was coming along pretty nicely.

Originally Posted by 327_TPI_77_Maro
What state are you in?
looks like Washington plates to me.

Last edited by Tmic87TPI; 10-10-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tmic87TPI
too bad, looks like the bird was coming along pretty nicely.

looks like Washington plates to me.
YEP AND MY TABS ARE GOOD TILL JULY,LOL! I MIGHT BE TRADING IT TONIGHT FOR A 89 ACCORD OR POSSIBLY A 93 DEL SOL. I NEED A GAS MILAGE CAR. WELL HERES A FEW MORE PICS I FORGOT TO POST.REALLY ALL IT NEEDS IS A NOSE AND HOOD AND BETTER PAINT. I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE MESSING WITH IT ANYMORE

----------
SO ALL IN ALL I HAD FUN WITH THIS AND I THINK I CAN SAY I PRETTY MUCH SAVED IT. I JUST WASNT ABLE TO FIND A HOOD OR NOSE OR TAKE THE CRITICISM OF SOME PEOPLE AND MADE A CHOICE. I NEVER INTENDED TO KEEP THIS CAR THIS LONG ANYWAY BUT MY $100 CAR WILL GET ME AT THE VERY LEAST 500 NOW. SO I LEARNED A FEW THINGS FROM A FEW PEOPLE AND I WILL MAKE SOME MONEY OR TAKE ON A NEW CAR WITH A NEW SET OF PROBLEMS MOST LIKELY

Last edited by 84noname; 10-10-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM

To hell with it 84noname you obvisiously are a die hard ford man and there is nothing i can do about it.............But tell me this, if a ford 302 or 351 is such a badass setup, how come they dont make dirt track cars? and one last thing, if you put the same amount of money in a sbc as a sbf the chevy is gonna be a better moter, why? because parts are so much cheaper....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

jayd, being a Ford guy is not his problem.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM

what would you chalk it up to then? Bad body repair skills?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

LOL I was being sarcastic. I am not going to bash on him, he has made his mind up and can do whatever he wants for a hobby.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

so its settled...Thats what all this **** is about....all the criticising because people expect professional results from a backyard body man...His work doesnt bother me a bit...Bashing on Chevys is what gets me
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Eh. I drive an 03 Mercury Marauder as my regular car. I really don't care what make a car is if it goes good and looks good.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jay_d
To hell with it 84noname you obvisiously are a die hard ford man and there is nothing i can do about it.............But tell me this, if a ford 302 or 351 is such a badass setup, how come they dont make dirt track cars? and one last thing, if you put the same amount of money in a sbc as a sbf the chevy is gonna be a better moter, why? because parts are so much cheaper....
cus fords handle like azz, well mustangs do, thats why i did like the bird,and yeah ford stuff cost too much, i agree with you. a ls1 would be a nice motor in my mustang. dont tell the ford guys,lol
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5

but a 305 or 350 stock in a 3rd gen isnt going to beat a healthy85-93 5.0 mustang. its not a opinion its a fact.
WOW,

just because you didn't get all positive feedback doesn't mean you should give up on the bird...hell, it still has alot of potential.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 Trans-Am
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 or 3.73..figuring it out still

At first, I kind of sympathized with this guy because he did some work and got hammered by almost everyone on here for it. But then he started bashing GM and our cars that this whole entire site is dedicated to. Honestly, I am going to venture a guess that the guy is in high school or very recently out of it and decided that one day since he picked up this car cheap he would venture away from what his friends told him was cool in buying Mustangs and whatever else they "trick" where he is and work on the Firebird in question. Then without any real background or knowledge in what he was talking about, decided that since everyone didn't kiss his **** about the bodywprk he was doing was going to bash not only everyone who ragged on his work, but all Third Gen. cars.

I don't know who he has been racing or what experience they had, but most Mustangs have trouble beating these cars stock for stock. I know from personal experience that the 305 TPI setups can give even the semi-upgraded 5.0 a run for its money. The TPI setup on these cars is a low end torque monster as far as power goes, so I don't understand why he started bashing the torque of third gens either. I think most guys run the stangs in 1/4 mile shoot outs and spend the money on them because they are easy to upgrade, light, and have a short wheel base. However, your average joe garage weekend mechanic who drops some extra money here and there on his car is going to get better results for less money out of a bird/maro. At some point I think he was talking about dropping like $5k and see who gets better results...all I know, is if I had $5k dedicated to motor and driveline/suspension, it would fly and even the stangs with the same money would have a hard time if they picked even one wrong part in their set-up.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. If this guy wants to cry to his mustang friends about how mean the third gen crowd is, fine. If I went on a mustang forum and showed them my bondo magic on a shitbox Mustang I picked up, and didn't get positive feedback, I wouldn't burn the thing. You're not spiting anyone on here or making anyone feel any remorse by telling everyone that you're sending the car to the junkyard because they made fun of you after you started bashing on firebirds/camaros.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Axle/Gears: 3.73

this thread needs to die.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: White 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: lt1
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Just consider it all as constructive criticism. It looks better now so who cares. As far as the stang vrs chevy thing, who cares? They both are slow in that time period ALL of them ran within +/-.5 sec of 15 seconds so who cares, its all driver at that point and is irrelevant to your topic in every way.

You don't need to make a fortune to have a pretty car. Its takes patients dedication and time then throw in a little elbow grease. Heres the link to my project https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/337735-starting-paint-prep-need.html . Its been years now and it still isn't close to being done. My first F body started out like yours and ended up in the crusher(rust) so did my VW bug. Man did I ever learn a lesson on that one. Doing it once correct is cheaper than doing it twice incorrectly.

Take all this criticism as a foundation or starting point for building a good project F body.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 AM

goes to show what you know. lol im 31 just in the last 4 years i have owned 15 cars. i dont know where u get your numbers but mustangs are lighter 79-93 than any 3 gen. and a 305tpi, give me a break? whats the hourse and torque?i havent been beat by any 3rd gen yet in my mustang. a 305 of any stock variety isnt going to give me a run for my money ever. im not saying there arent some bad azz modded 305s out there. but im saying stock to stock. my car is pretty stock, and i have spanked anything 3rd that has tried me. i have no cats, and a intake and timing at 16degrees and my car is rated 200hp 297ftlbs of torque stock. so u tell me my 305 is rate 150hp and what 190ft lbs??? i cant remember. and that not much. bottom line is i had people telling me to light my car on fire long before i said anything. i wont cry to anyone, i will just sell the car. ever heard the saying "its hard to soar like a eagle when your surrounded by turkeys" ? lol

Originally Posted by CreepingDeath94
At first, I kind of sympathized with this guy because he did some work and got hammered by almost everyone on here for it. But then he started bashing GM and our cars that this whole entire site is dedicated to. Honestly, I am going to venture a guess that the guy is in high school or very recently out of it and decided that one day since he picked up this car cheap he would venture away from what his friends told him was cool in buying Mustangs and whatever else they "trick" where he is and work on the Firebird in question. Then without any real background or knowledge in what he was talking about, decided that since everyone didn't kiss his **** about the bodywprk he was doing was going to bash not only everyone who ragged on his work, but all Third Gen. cars.

I don't know who he has been racing or what experience they had, but most Mustangs have trouble beating these cars stock for stock. I know from personal experience that the 305 TPI setups can give even the semi-upgraded 5.0 a run for its money. The TPI setup on these cars is a low end torque monster as far as power goes, so I don't understand why he started bashing the torque of third gens either. I think most guys run the stangs in 1/4 mile shoot outs and spend the money on them because they are easy to upgrade, light, and have a short wheel base. However, your average joe garage weekend mechanic who drops some extra money here and there on his car is going to get better results for less money out of a bird/maro. At some point I think he was talking about dropping like $5k and see who gets better results...all I know, is if I had $5k dedicated to motor and driveline/suspension, it would fly and even the stangs with the same money would have a hard time if they picked even one wrong part in their set-up.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. If this guy wants to cry to his mustang friends about how mean the third gen crowd is, fine. If I went on a mustang forum and showed them my bondo magic on a shitbox Mustang I picked up, and didn't get positive feedback, I wouldn't burn the thing. You're not spiting anyone on here or making anyone feel any remorse by telling everyone that you're sending the car to the junkyard because they made fun of you after you started bashing on firebirds/camaros.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 AM

anyways look at the car now! it aint that bad minus the r e d n e c k
lookn front bumper. im not getting rid of it cus people on here arent as freindly as i like, i said in the begining i wasnt keeping it! i said i was going to fix it up as cheap as possible and flip it, thats what i do i flip cars. the less i spend the more i make hence tryin to save messed up fender with fiberglass. if i cant get rid off it for what i want i will sit on it. the inside cleaned up real nice with armor all wipes. shes just stitting in the driveway looking for a new owner. i dont drive it anymore, but it is a fun car for only 150 hp for sure. i have enjoyed it. im just trying to fix a few more things so its running proper for the next person. i dont really hate gm i had a GTU beretta for years that i loved to death but everything kept breaking on it. that was a nice car that car was fast for a 2.8
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am

Glad to hear you enjoyed the car. Maybe in all of your car dealings you'll come across one that you really like and climb aboard the 3rd gen wagon. Till then, be safe .

cheers...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

and a 305tpi, give me a break? whats the horse and torque?
Depends what year, 200-230hp and about 295lbs of tq. I think 1990-1992 was the most hp/tq
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 92rs85berlintta
Depends what year, 200-230hp and about 295lbs of tq. I think 1990-1992 was the most hp/tq
are those the lt1 years? those a good numbers, but the arly years are pretty bad
like mine150hp
maybe if i have a ls1 bird then i would want one
Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

are those the lt1 years? those a good numbers, but the arly years are pretty bad
like mine150hp
maybe if i have a ls1 bird then i would want one
Thats for tpi 5.0 liter thirdgens, I think the lowest a tpi made was 190. I think the 350ci l98's later years are around 245hp stock. The lt1 are an underrated 275-330 hp depending on whether it was in a vette or fourthgen.
-

Last edited by 92rs85berlintta; 10-12-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Car: 89 firebird

wow, i didnt know you were from Washington......just saw it on craigs list...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/455955372.html
Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

replacing a fender and rattle canning = saving a car? Wow, I must be the 84 Firebird Messiah! How can you say that you fixed it up and are now "flipping it"? The nose is still busted, the paint is terrible, there's a big dent in the driver's side fender... you're like the slumlord of car flipping. I think the Del Sol you mentioned earlier is the right car for you.

From your ad on craigslist:
"its a classic in nada if you want to look it up. i think it has 147k on it. nada lists it for 4k im good shape.nada lists it for 4k im good shape. "
how would this apply to your car???

Last edited by JeremyNYR; 10-23-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: pics of my body work on the 84 bird:)