Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th Gen upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
4th Gen upgrades

As I browse through the site, I notice a lot of Firebirds being upgraded with 4th gen parts. Things like ram air hoods, 4th gen spoilers and wheels, and interior components. I was just wondering why? What is this fascination with transforming a third gen car into a 4th? I enjoy the look of the 4th gen. The pure power and aggressiveness that the body portrays is amazing, but at the same time the simple elegance and smoothness of the third gen is something to be admired. I just don't understand how someone can try to make their third gen into a 4th. I love the look of the 4th gen, but I don't want to turn my third gen into one. Can someone please explain this to me?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 4L60
I have a 91 Z with a dash, center console, and (soon anyway) door panels from a 95 Bird in it. I'm not trying to make my 3rd gen a 4th gen, I just like the newer more modern look on the interior, but still like the exterior styling of the 3rd gen Camaro. And it was something to do.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None
Some of the 4th gen upgrades are distasteful to me. For example, I don't like the 4th gen spoilers on a thirdgen or 4th gen mirrors etc. But, some of these mods look good on some thirdgens (RA I and II hoods, for example) and others are more functional. I swapped in a late 4th gen console to my '92 Formula because of the added cupholders and the sturdier lid and slightly larger storage area. Plus, I think the thirdgen consoles are just kind of ugly. I used window switches from a Contour and a mirror switch from a 4th gen because they look and feel better than the stock pieces.

In sum, the mods are driven by aesthetics and personal taste as well as functionality. Keep your car bone stock, that's cool, too.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Re: 4th Gen upgrades

Well, thanks for your input. It just breaks my heart to see these 3rd gens being modified with 4th gen parts, especially exterior parts. Especially since there are becoming less and less 3rd gens to admire.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z

It's all about personal preference. I wanted to do a 4th gen dash but didnt want to get rid of our long dash pad because I like it so much, so I ditched that idea. Alot of people swapped in 4th gen consoles, I myself did too, but after doing everything I could I can't get it to look good so I put the old one back in and cut holes for some GTO window switches. The center consoles do look good in the firebirds though, like they were almost meant to be. There are other ways to bring comfort features into our third gens, you just got to get creative with it.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 PM

Car: 82 Camaro
Engine: 305 SBC Carburetor
Transmission: TH-350

i dont really like the look of the 4th gen exterior or interior parts on a third gen but i have no problem using drive train parts for a 4th gen in a third gen i have a friend that bought an ls1 z28 that a guy was selling cuz he got his and bent the radiator support and the front drivers side subframe but wanted to sell it for parts and not try to fix it so my friend took the ls1 the 5 speed driveshaft and rear end and put them in his 3rd gen but then sold the rest of the car to guys to do those mods and fix their 4th cars
Old 03-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 06 SRM M6 GTO, 98 Grand Prix GTP

I think for me I like alot of stuff from the 4th gen, the bigger wheels, brakes, drivetrain. I think the door panels on the 3rd gens are old looking and outdated, they look cheap to me. The ram air hood just happened at the time to be easier to get ahold of that say a formula hood (for my area anyways) and the spoiler I think is better quality and just plain nicer.

All that, but I hate that the 4th gens are rounded, like jelly beans. 3rd gens are blockier, have that muscle car esq look, with a slightly modern flair. I think the 4th gen stuff just brings it more modern. I can definitely see how its not for everyone though.

Oh yeah, the one thing I dont like is the 4th gen dashes. I like the older ones, they're simple, easy to see, tasteful. The newer ones are TOO curvy for me.