Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

question about door upper hinge pins and bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: huh?? guessing stock.
question about door upper hinge pins and bushings...

well my drivers door is sagging and a real beast to open. I know I need to replace the upper hinge pins and bushings for it, but just cant justify the price that Lon asks for at TDS. well on a whim today I called three different parts stores around my area and they all had the things for $4-$7 for the set. what is the differance between these and the ones that Lon sells?Im all for supporting our own, but Unless there is some life altering reason why Lons are so much better I might just fix my door for less than 10 bucks next weekend.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto
Originally Posted by Stealthy-One
well my drivers door is sagging and a real beast to open. I know I need to replace the upper hinge pins and bushings for it, but just cant justify the price that Lon asks for at TDS. well on a whim today I called three different parts stores around my area and they all had the things for $4-$7 for the set. what is the differance between these and the ones that Lon sells?Im all for supporting our own, but Unless there is some life altering reason why Lons are so much better I might just fix my door for less than 10 bucks next weekend.
Please go look at the parts for $4-$7, they are not even close to what you need. I thought the same thing when I was trying to replace my upper hinges so please save yourself time and frustration and either live with sagging doors or buy the right parts from Lon. There is no better way of fixing your door right now, trust me I have explored evey possibe solution!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: huh?? guessing stock.
yea but whats actually different? I am only keeping this POS for about another year so I am not worried about longevity. Wow, TDS includes abrasive cloth and a blister pac of loctite... that all costs what 6 bucks? What makes his so special?

pins and bushings are pins and bushings... I know I had reservations about other parts I ordered from TDS in the past, and I just don't want that to happen again. Don't ask, as I am not going to badmouth them here. The parts worked fine, I just expected more for what I paid out for them.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
When I went to the auto parts stores (tried 3 different ones), all they ever had were the 'lower' pins only. Nobody carried anything, or even had a listing for the upper ones.

It's the upper ones that you need to replace, I tried doing just the lower and made no difference at all.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:51 AM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 5.7
I actually got mine from TDS.... But for some reason that did not fix the problem... I'm guessing my henge is bent... But I could be wrong.... Go for the cheap stuff first, if it fails, your only out $10..