Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

HELP ME LOTS OF RUST.... SERIOUSLY.... IT WILL FALL APART IS SOMETHING IS NOT DONE QU

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 TBI
HELP ME LOTS OF RUST.... SERIOUSLY.... IT WILL FALL APART IS SOMETHING IS NOT DONE QU

I need to repair LOTS of rust, i started by buying a car cover now i need to actually repair the rust, how do i do that?

Im only 16 so i cant afford a professional job

Thanks, Neil
Old 10-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
if there is tons of rust visable, there is a good chance that there is a lot of hidden ruts and that spells death for a unibody car. i know you dont want to hear this but you may need to try and find a different car. rust repair is very expensive and requires a lot of work to do it right. sorry
Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
if there is tons of rust visable, there is a good chance that there is a lot of hidden ruts and that spells death for a unibody car. i know you dont want to hear this but you may need to try and find a different car. rust repair is very expensive and requires a lot of work to do it right. sorry

Okay what are some good solutions for stopping rust like what products
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro z28/SC
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3.89
You cant permanently stop rust, but you can slow it down. If there is visible rust on the floor, then there will probably be rust in many other places, under brackets, in holes, and even under the seam sealer that is spread throughout the car.

The best way to get rid of rust is by sanding it down or sand blasting it like we did. Wherever there is bare metal you'll want to be sure to lay some primer down on it as fast as possible to prevent the rust from coming back.

There are many products out there such as Por-15 that is supposed to stop the rust, but I'm not sure as to how good it works.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:03 PM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 9 bolt
the best way i would say as far as function/cost/and easy of operation would be

1.Get under the car with a wire brush for over everyhting as best you can to get rid of ALL looes scale rust

2.Get some POR-15 and coat the entire floor pan, frame rails, unibody, everyhting (of course except trans, driveshaft and such.

3. get some good professional undercoating either smooth or rough finish depends on what you perferr and cover all the POR-15 just before the paint fully sets (when its still slightly tacky)

Now if there are any physical hole from rust thats a whole notehr issue you have to go through of cutting away rusted metal and welding in patches
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None
I agree with the idea of using a wire wheel or sandpaper or whatever to remove any loose rust.

I would then spray/brush all rusted areas with Ospho...this is an acid that will chemically neutralize the rust. It is far superior to the acid marketed with POR15 because it does not need to be washed off with water, you just let it dry and then paint over it.

After the Ospho dries, I'd apply two coats on Master Series silver and then one coat of Master Series black if you'd like a black finish. I got turned on to Master Series by an autobody guy who swears by it and believes it is far superior to POR15.

I wouldn't bother undercoating on top of the Master Series/POR. Those paints are designed to provide all the protection from the weather that you need. The thing about undercoating is that if it develops a deep scratch or a chunk is taken out if it, then moisture can get under it and never be able to escape, and you don't want that. In addition, if you ever want to detail/repair your car in the future, removing undercoating is a really nasty, time consuming job.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 AM

Floor Pans in good shape it is the Body
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM

Car: 99 Camaro
Engine: LS
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9"
I would say you would be best off replacing the removable parts that are rusted Fenders, doors, hood whatever is rusted and can be unbolted you are better off getting rid of rust repair is not cheep and never gos away once it starts no matter what you do if your quarter panels are rusted you can use the por 15 or other to slow it down but it will allways be ready to come back , usually if theres alot of rust on the quarters the floors and frame are close behind ....