Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Phase I complete, now Phase II IROC restoration - on to the interior!

Man this is a bad car. A definite goal to shoot for. Keep up the great work. looking forward to more interior shots.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 z28
Engine: 383 LT1 in the works
Transmission: T-56 in the works
Axle/Gears: 3.73 in the works

Well I just spent a VERY long time reading through this thread and have to say very nice job Neil. Couple of questions as I am going to begin a complete make over soon on my 92 z and will start a new thread once that gets under way...Have you done any work like this before or are you learning and doing things as you are going along? I plan to do everything except body work and I will probably have a long block built so I have most of that taken care of as well. But your progress updates and photos really help to make this possible for others.Also, was your car originally a manual car or automatic? I probably missed this earlier, but I will be swapping my auto for a T-56 and was looking to see how(if) you did the swap as well.Great job.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

So now that you are starting the work on the engine, are you going to be changing the title to "phase 3" ??? Great work gives me some insperation, now all I need is the money!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Car: '87+'02 Z28
Engine: 454 LSX
Transmission: T-56, Viper output shaft
Axle/Gears: Strage 12-bolt 3.73:1

Originally Posted by TIMMYS89GTA
Holy crap Neil,looks like you need a garage stretcher to make you some room.I'm just curious about what your favorite part about the car right now is.The rear quarter mod? the custom emblems?the very sound friendly interior?or perhaps the anticipation of hering that sweet motor run in the beast that you have created?
The favorite part of my car has to be the rear quarter panel mod to tuck in those 335's, then second the ZO6 calipers with the wheels! The motor of course should be pretty sick when I get it finished. I am waiting for the heads and I need to decide on a valve spring, with that said I should have the heads next week. Damn, honestly it's hard to rank it all beacuse I like everything so much. I am sure once the motor is in and running I will probably pass out or cry like my car has just been overhauled on the show Overhaulin......j/k. Little by little I guess you could say I overhauled this thirdgen not in 6 or 7 days but 365+, lol.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SomeGuy25thZ
Well I just spent a VERY long time reading through this thread and have to say very nice job Neil. Couple of questions as I am going to begin a complete make over soon on my 92 z and will start a new thread once that gets under way...Have you done any work like this before or are you learning and doing things as you are going along? I plan to do everything except body work and I will probably have a long block built so I have most of that taken care of as well. But your progress updates and photos really help to make this possible for others.Also, was your car originally a manual car or automatic? I probably missed this earlier, but I will be swapping my auto for a T-56 and was looking to see how(if) you did the swap as well.Great job.
In regards to your question, alot of this work I have done before, though there are alot of new things I am attempting such as the door poppers...never installed them or thought of mounting a switch in the location I did to get the doors to pop with the push of a button or with the remote (will use one of the aux channels from the alarm brain). The way I look at it, anything is possible especially with the use of this website...I learned how to program proms from this site as well as how to perform other mods. I am happy to share and help out anyway I can since alot of you are so helpful. For example the guy performing the LED mod to the tail lights.....very sweet, I will defintiely be picking his brain!
As for my car, it was originally an automatic and pretty soon i'll be cutting the opening in the trans tunnel for the shifter. That will happen when the motor is about to go in. When I am at that stage I will post as much as possible.
----------
Originally Posted by david86camaro
So now that you are starting the work on the engine, are you going to be changing the title to "phase 3" ??? Great work gives me some insperation, now all I need is the money!!
Good point, time to chat with the moderator again! I am swamped at work, so i'll probably PM him this weekend when I have time to breathe.

Thanks again all of you, I am glad you like the car and the progress! I can start to hear the car run, i'm feeling it!!!

Last edited by Neil; 10-10-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Car: 92 camaro rs
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4

but he hasnt finished phase 2 yet unless i missed the finished interior shots
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 440LSX
Transmission: l460e
Axle/Gears: 3.55 Wavetrac

Who did your engine work and assembly?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BADMAN
Who did your engine work and assembly?
G&G Performance Engines in Tomball, TX
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Great pictures Neil!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Wow, this site seems to be having some difficulties lately or it is down for maintenance often. Anyway, here are pics of the how I assembled the hose ends to the braided stainless steel fuel hose after I cut it to length. Alot of you can probably do this in your sleep, just thought i'd explain how I did this in case some of you are wondering. First, I wrapped the hose with masking tape where the cut was to be made then, I used my Rotozip to make a nice, clean cut. After cleaning the debris out from the hose, I twisted the hose end on counter-clockwise until the hose bottomed out in the hose end fitting. Then, I added a little oil to the tapered end of the fitting and threads and firmly twisted & turned until the threads started to bite (clockwise). Using a AN wrench, I held the hose end and turned the threaded/fitting until there was 1/16" or less between the two pieces. Note: I will thouroughly rinse these lines with gas using my old pump when I get all the hoses made just to make sure all the crud is gone.
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-002.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-003.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-004.jpg  
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM

More pics of the pump and filters mounted to the tank with the -12 AN feed line from the sump to the pre-filter, -10 AN feed line to the engine/fuel rails from the post-filter and -8 AN for the return line.
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-017.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-018-1.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-fuel-sys-007.jpg  
Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

Nice work Cletus! Not too bad for some hill-billy in Dallas!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 81z-28,89gta,91z-28 03 1500
Engine: 355,L98vette tpi,327
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700r4/4l80E
Axle/Gears: 3;73/3;27/2;73/3;73

Originally Posted by Neil
I am going crazy with this car, I plan to make it a daily driver, yet a show car. Vintage Restoration of the Woodlands is the body shop in the Woodlands, Texas performing all the body work. It took me a while to find a body shop willing to do all this work and willing to do this within reason. (John Evans - owner 832-477-6066 e-mail: jre30@hotmail.com)
Here is what is going to be done: The radiator support, the pass. fender rail, passenger door and quarter panel are being replaced. The rear quarter panel sections are being widened by approx. 1" on each side of the car to accomodate the 335/30/18 meats and this just looks sick! The door handles are going to be shaved and the C6 corvette style "handle" fabricated and welded in. A typical door popping mechanism will be used along with either a pressure switch or micro switch to manually pop the door(s) open on the inside of the door edge (like the C6 vette). The gas door, well I am going to pull it off and throw it as far as I can throw and have them put in a flat metal door that will use a push/lock switch setup to open and close.
Anyway, here are a few pics pics.....
So Neil,still shooting for a daily driver?I couldn't do it.I have a very beautiful 81 z-28(not as nice as your car though IMO) and I couldn't dream of using it as a daily driver.I know i've said this already but,Very sweet car man,and good luck getting it just the way you want it! Oh yeah,did you get the wiring thing figured out?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM

TIMMYS89GTA,
Yeah, I still want to drive this car daily, at least for a while. Probably after 8-12 months i'll stick her in the garage and drive something else, but I want to enjoy it before I turn it into a weekend warrior. As for the wiring, well, I haven't been too focused on that recently. There are still a bunch of wires that go down the passenger side under the carpet, that I am not sure of. Other than those, I think I have the other harness' figured out. Right, I say that now, surely someone will throw this post back in my face later, lol.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Did that 4thgen dash we pulled have the driverside firewall bulk-head connector?

Is it the same size / shape as the 3rdgen bulk-head?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad91Z
Did that 4thgen dash we pulled have the driverside firewall bulk-head connector?

Is it the same size / shape as the 3rdgen bulk-head?
"We pulled" LOL, you weren't even there! I am not using thirdgen wiring, the 4th gen light/accessory/power harness goes through the firewall and connects to the 'bulk head connector' no problem
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

What is special about AN wrenches? Can you not use a regular wrench?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ricco
AN wrenches have notches which prevent gouging of the corners of the fittings
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Nope, you need to use AN wrenches cause they are a different size than regular stuff... -6, -8 ,-10, and so forth.

EDIT: BTW Neil...this is such a kickass car!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Originally Posted by fenton06
Nope, you need to use AN wrenches cause they are a different size than regular stuff... -6, -8 ,-10, and so forth.

EDIT: BTW Neil...this is such a kickass car!
I have an adjustable wrench... it is any size...
----------
AN wrenches have notches which prevent gouging of the corners of the fittings
Hmm.. Interesting.. Can you post a pic of one of the wrenches to show how that works?

Thanks,
Richard.

Last edited by Ricco; 10-15-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

I have an adjustable wrench... it is any size...
That would work, but you run the risk of rounding the fittings cause they are made of aluminum...I try not to use crescent wrenches unless I can't help it.

AN wrenches:
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-sum-900101.jpg  
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

I have assembled my entire car with open faced wrenches and crescent wrenches with very very minimal scraping. If I was making a car like Neils I would opt for the added cost of AN wrenches, but believe me, you will not round them off. I have cranked down to the point of warping the cone on some a long time ago when I had no idea what I was doing and they never even got nicked.

I can count about 30 connections from the top of my head on my car that are AN, and I have never even warped the outside of my cheepo summit connectors. I have scrapped a couple a little. So the blue anodize came off. But no big deal. They are tinny scrapes.

Anyways, just wanted to say that.

Neil: car looks great. Those SS lines look great. You gonna run them all the way up like that or you going to go hard line, then back to braided?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:02 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

meh...maybe I just have crappy crescent wrenches... I am ok with using open ended wrenches...I've never had problems with them.

Anyway, back on topic...! I want to see more interior shots!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z
I have assembled my entire car with open faced wrenches and crescent wrenches with very very minimal scraping. If I was making a car like Neils I would opt for the added cost of AN wrenches, but believe me, you will not round them off. I have cranked down to the point of warping the cone on some a long time ago when I had no idea what I was doing and they never even got nicked.

I can count about 30 connections from the top of my head on my car that are AN, and I have never even warped the outside of my cheepo summit connectors. I have scrapped a couple a little. So the blue anodize came off. But no big deal. They are tinny scrapes.

Anyways, just wanted to say that.

Neil: car looks great. Those SS lines look great. You gonna run them all the way up like that or you going to go hard line, then back to braided?
I am going to run braided SS all the way up to the engine. The only problem area under the car is where the stock fuel filter was. The line needs to make a 45-60 degree bend and I think I can achieve that with mounting brackets without putting too much stress on the line.

As far a AN wrenches, well, I am not as good as you Dennis as I have marred (sp?) AN fittings in the past with regular adjustable wrenches. So, I bought these and all is well so far.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM

meh...maybe I just have crappy crescent wrenches... I am ok with using open ended wrenches...I've never had problems with them.

Anyway, back on topic...! I want to see more interior shots!
Yeah, I need to get back to the interior don't I! Tonight I am stripping off my old weatherstrip channels as the new ones that came in the kit which I already painted are the wrong size! They are too short. So, I found my original weatherstrip channels (the ones which mount to the A-pillar) and i'll get them cleaned tonight and painted by the end of the week. Then i'll install all the T-top rubbers...ah I said rubber! lol. Next will be covering the headliner and installing that, though I would like to get the radar detector wired before I put up the headliner...i'm still thinking of the Valentine One, alot of people praise that thing.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

What do you mean I wasn't there? Who carried the other side of the dash out of that wrecked 4thgen when we were over at Jim's shop? That's right, it was me! And you're welcome for the hook up!

WHo's your pappy now Cletus! Lol
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

excellent progress. truely a one of a kind 3rd gen camaro when its all said and done. love reading through your thread, keep it up! maybe my sport coupe will be 1/50th as nice as what you've created!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tobias05
excellent progress. truely a one of a kind 3rd gen camaro when its all said and done. love reading through your thread, keep it up! maybe my sport coupe will be 1/50th as nice as what you've created!
Damn, thanks for the compliments! I'll probably say this another 50 times but I can't wait to get this car running down the road!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73

FYI - the dash numbers of AN fittings are just the prefix of a fraction, if I remember correctly they are of 16th's, so a -8 would be a 1/2" (8/16") and a -10 would be a 5/8 (10/16). It was the military way of creating a uniform measure to replace fractional increments. It may be 32nd's, I've been wrong before! Enough history - back to topic!
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z/05 Silverado ECSB
Engine: 408 LSX
Transmission: 700-R4 reverse pattern/manual valve
Axle/Gears: 9"/4.11

Originally Posted by MurcoRS
FYI - the dash numbers of AN fittings are just the prefix of a fraction, if I remember correctly they are of 16th's, so a -8 would be a 1/2" (8/16") and a -10 would be a 5/8 (10/16). It was the military way of creating a uniform measure to replace fractional increments. It may be 32nd's, I've been wrong before! Enough history - back to topic!
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
You are correct
Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 AM

Alright guys, I am back on the interior. I finished running the door switch/popper wires through the door and into the car. Popper relays are mounted and I ran a separate 12volt feed (using 10 ga wire) to these relays and I will also use this feed for the window motor relays (when I get to that), this should help maintain a continuous 12v to the window motors and prevent the sluggish window opening/closing.
Steering wheel is in, but I can't find the 3 bolts which mount the steering wheel housing on the fire wall. Does anyone happen to know what size they are? Metric or standard, I bet metric and if so what is the size; 8, 9 or 10mm and thread pitch and length? I thought I was organized...appareantly not. I swear I have spent HOURS looking for stuff or going to the Home Depot to buy new bolts for example because I can't find my originals.
Also, I added my original Z28/IROC-Z dash emblem to the new dash. Drilled a few holes in the lid and it popped in quite nicely! Keeping some of the 'old' with the 'new'!
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-dash-swheel-012.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-dash-swheel-003.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-dash-swheel-008.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 AM

Couple more....
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-dash-swheel-010.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-dash-swheel-011.jpg  
Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

You're going to have to pull the carpet back out when you do the shifter cutout on the tranny tunnel. The thick steel brace where the factory automatic shifter bolted to is going to require alot of grinding with a cutoff wheel in order to remove it. It's going to make alot of carpet melting sparks...... You have to remove the brace before you can even access the tranny tunnel to cut the hole.

As far as the steering column bolts go..... you need to think back to your hill-billy roots. JB weld fixes most problems in this case!
Old 10-21-2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad91Z
You're going to have to pull the carpet back out when you do the shifter cutout on the tranny tunnel. The thick steel brace where the factory automatic shifter bolted to is going to require alot of grinding with a cutoff wheel in order to remove it. It's going to make alot of carpet melting sparks...... You have to remove the brace before you can even access the tranny tunnel to cut the hole.

As far as the steering column bolts go..... you need to think back to your hill-billy roots. JB weld fixes most problems in this case!
Yeah, I realized that LOL. 1bad91Z, I need constructive advice here
Old 10-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Dude I've been watching this build up a little by little, and I got a lot of respect for you and this car. It's bad ***, something I'm not sure anyone has done before with a 3rd gen. But the one thing I can't figure out still, is why a third gen? Couldn't you have just bought a vette or elise or anything else and gotten the same result? But at least you are being different. Awesome job.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TheMutt
Dude I've been watching this build up a little by little, and I got a lot of respect for you and this car. It's bad ***, something I'm not sure anyone has done before with a 3rd gen. But the one thing I can't figure out still, is why a third gen? Couldn't you have just bought a vette or elise or anything else and gotten the same result? But at least you are being different. Awesome job.
That is exactly it my friend, you nailed it! No one has done this before and buying a new ZO6 vette would be nice, but I wouldn't get the same satisfaction from it. Also from a $$$ standpoint and not that I am looking to sell this car at all, but I bet you in 10-12 years my car will appreciate in value and the value of a 2007/08 vette will have depreciated significantly. Of course there are many caveats and ways of looking at this, but bottom line, I like the 3rd gens and I have always wanted to trick out a car this way!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Neil, i hope i am 1st to offer this. Please sell me your car when you decide to part with it ( I am 100% serious). And i live in Houston so it will always be nearby.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

What you should have said was "Hey Cletus, you better have that beater running in time to make the December gathering!"

Neil - I'll call you tomorrow about the column bolts. If I can get them new from GM, do you want me to order them?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 81z-28,89gta,91z-28 03 1500
Engine: 355,L98vette tpi,327
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700r4/4l80E
Axle/Gears: 3;73/3;27/2;73/3;73

That is exactly it my friend, you nailed it! No one has done this before and buying a new ZO6 vette would be nice, but I wouldn't get the same satisfaction from it. Also from a $$$ standpoint and not that I am looking to sell this car at all, but I bet you in 10-12 years my car will appreciate in value and the value of a 2007/08 vette will have depreciated significantly. Of course there are many caveats and ways of looking at this, but bottom line, I like the 3rd gens and I have always wanted to trick out a car this way!
BRAVO NEIL!Now where is that vette that blew by you on your commute home?He will definately have a new respect once you get that corrolla running and you hand him his a%# on a platter with bean dip of course!LOL
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM

LOL, yeah I can't wait to run some vettes out there! On another note, speaking of having your *** handed to you....ARP, you know the bolt company, well I bought a set of head studs for the LSX block and OMG, I don't even want to type how much they charged me for those things, but they were north of $300!

So, the last couple of days I have been running wires and setting up power distribution blocks for both positive and negative connections. Since I am always trying to find a spot for accessories, here is where they will be connected, along with relays. Still have more to do, but this is where I am so far.
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-wiring-002.jpg  
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HT,2006 2500HD
Engine: 5.7L, 6.6Llbz dmax
Transmission: 700R4, 6 speed allison
Axle/Gears: worn out 3.73 posi

sweet baby jesus man i will trade you my mother for that damn car, but seriously that is gorgeous you my friend, are dedicated
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brennan
sweet baby jesus man i will trade you my mother for that damn car, but seriously that is gorgeous you my friend, are dedicated
So, Brennan, be careful what you offer....is your mom HOT? LOL! I know that was wrong on so many levels, but hey you offered her up! I hope your mom doesn't read these posts . Thanks for the compliments though!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

So, Brennan, be careful what you offer....is your mom HOT? LOL! I know that was wrong on so many levels, but hey you offered her up! I hope your mom doesn't read these posts . Thanks for the compliments though!
LOL! Shouldn't it be required for people post pics of their trade "items"????
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Car: Used to drive a camaro

Neil, I've never posted to your thread although I've watched / read it pretty religiously because your project "outdid" mine. I wanted to give you sh*t because the wire / terminal pic you posted had a nice clear shot of "Made In China".....BUT I didnt' because your project KILLS all before it. Nice job man, please tell me you're going to post videos once this beast is on the road.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by AC
Neil, I've never posted to your thread although I've watched / read it pretty religiously because your project "outdid" mine. I wanted to give you sh*t because the wire / terminal pic you posted had a nice clear shot of "Made In China".....BUT I didnt' because your project KILLS all before it. Nice job man, please tell me you're going to post videos once this beast is on the road.
Dude, way too funny and as I posted that pic I new I would be getting **** from someone......LOL! Hopefully that $5.00 relay holds up, we'll see? Oh and you better believe i'll have videos. I'll have one and only one massive burnout for you all on vid...those tires weren't cheap. Thanks again, I am glad you like this build as much as I do.

Here's a couple of pics with the headight covers laid on. Not sure how I am going to fasten them. I want to be able to use them for highway driving and remove them and have no signs that they were ever there. I'll mess with this when I get the car running.
Attached Thumbnails Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-headlight-cvrs-002.jpg   Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)-headlight-cvrs-006.jpg  
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

Those lights cost as much as my whole car! But man, they are shiny
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
On Probation

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: LsX
Transmission: MN12 6speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Dude, way too funny and as I posted that pic I new I would be getting **** from someone......LOL! Hopefully that $5.00 relay holds up, we'll see? Oh and you better believe i'll have videos. I'll have one and only one massive burnout for you all on vid...those tires weren't cheap. Thanks again, I am glad you like this build as much as I do.

Here's a couple of pics with the headight covers laid on. Not sure how I am going to fasten them. I want to be able to use them for highway driving and remove them and have no signs that they were ever there. I'll mess with this when I get the car running.
i have the exact set up on my car....lol but black headlight buckets =)
Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Very nice car!!! Nice color too!
Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: ZZ4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Wow man, I like alot of others just found this thread, its taken me 3 days to get thru every post and all i can say is....well i dont know what to say that is the nicest third gen ive ever seen. I got my first one in '99, and it took me until last year to get another one, drove it for a year and rear ended somebody about 2 weeks ago. I have always wanted to build my own custom 3rd gen camaro, and i figure if its tore apart anyways what better time to start then now? Then I fine this thread and WOW! Ill never be able to afford to build one that nice, but you have given me some great inspiration! Thanks for the step by step pictures and letting us all see it go thru the transformation. Hopefully I can post some pics of mine when its done. Thanks again, Matt.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Here's a couple of pics with the headlight covers laid on. Not sure how I am going to fasten them. I want to be able to use them for highway driving and remove them and have no signs that they were ever there. I'll mess with this when I get the car running.
You ou could attach some L brackets to the headlight covers with some allen buttonhead bolts, epoxy some neodymium magnets to the bracket, and then glue say, felt or foam to the magnet so it doesn't scratch the paint, and then epoxy another magnet on the inside of the bumper. I'm pretty sure the magnets would be strong enough to hold those bad boys on. If all else fails, keep adding more magnets!

Quick Reply: Phase I done, Phase II-interior almost done, and now Phase III-drivetrain (454 LSX!)