Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

need help aligning doors, fenders, hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help aligning doors, fenders, hood

I am currently restoring an 89 camaro rs. The car has low mileage, 69K, but had dents all around (minor but a lot). The body lines were absolutely perfect, but we decided it would be better to replace the doors and fenders rather than repair (i had to re-paint all the jambs and edge in hugger orange anyway). I jambed the car, and am now re-installing the parts but i am unsure the best way to proceed. I did bolt the doors on already and they lined up pretty well, they open and close alright and the spacing looks even all the way around. Now i want to put the fenders on, but the are rubbing the doors. I have no way to guage whether the doors need adjustment before i put on the fenders. Can someone post me a photo of the space between their door and the rear quarter, and measure it? I would appreciate it. The fenders do not have the same shape as the doors either, they seem flatter at the center crease. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 PM

Car: '68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
Did you use aftermarket fenders? If so, that explains the difference in shape. Adjust the gap at the rear of the door to be approx. 3/16" and the gap at the front should be about the same. Aftermarket fenders are famous for incorrect fitment. You have limited adjustment being that the radiator core support is part of the frame. You may have to elongate the holes where it attaches to the core support and at the firewall get additional adjustment.

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:00 AM

thanks

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if the fenders are factory or aftermarket. They are brand new, but i bought them from another guy who had them in his garage, he never used them. They look really well made, not like some of the garbage i have seen in the past, but they could be aftermarket. I will check the gaps tomorrow afternoon and maybe post some photos, if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free!