Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rust experts please come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SS
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi
Rust experts please come in

I noticed that under the hood is a slight surface rust around the edges of 3spot welds seams. My car is mint and I don't want to mess up the paint in any way. Is there a product that stops the rust and doesn't harm the existing paint in anyway? I have a brush for my dremel that is like a wire brush but not as harmful, like hard bristles , a bit harder then a tooth brush. I could use this in the 2 spots I can get to but there's another spot that is too hard to get to . I did a search online and ran into this TC-11, TC11, Stop Prevent and Remove Rust, Free Frozen Parts, Penetrating Lubricant, Better Performance than WD-40 Tc-11.. I'm not sure what to do but I do have a nice bottle of my touch up paint from gm. Any help is appreciated thank you
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None
Rust is a chemical reaction. You need to kill the rust to prevent it from spreading. That's challenging to do without harming the paint at all. Oshpho is an acid, sold at some hardware stores, that will chemically neutralize rust. I have used it with success, but I am not sure what it would do to your paint. But, one way or the other, you have to kill it all.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

yeah that's how i'm looking at it... Don't touch the small surface rust because the bay will have some off colored spots in it and it will just grow causing problems later on if I do decide to keep the car for a very very long time. Or i guess take care of the problem now so it doesnt harm the car in the long run. I'd like to do it right though. It's hard matching the color in the engine bay. Seems like there's no clear or anything. What should I do once i get the surface out? It's in very hard to reach areas, good thing I have my dremel attachment. I could always try and tape around the area I'm working on really good. Yet i'd still like to match the engine bay color ... i'm confused there. Do i get a brush on primer just like my touch up paint for the car... This is on my SS by the way. Very nice car, i think we have more educated people here than on ls1 tech : )
Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

buuummmpppp