Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

86 DashBoard Rear Hatch Release question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:15 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2001 Trans Am Ram Air
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 Speed
86 DashBoard Rear Hatch Release question...

I just got an 86 Trans Am. (funrudy - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting)
Nice car, needs a little work but nice.

The Dashboard panel is where my question comes in.

In the dash, across the bottom are the button "cutouts" for two extra options.
Start with the rear defrost, that comes standard on most models.
The one to the left I have no idea what went there, any clue?

Next, to the right, is the Remote Rear hatch release option. (not included on my 86)

I have been able to get a parts dash with the rear defrost and remote hatch release buttons together.
These are modular plugs and wired together to a 1 foot away connecting point.(modular plug as well)

My question is:
Since this looks like a standard connector, if I take apart my dash, remove the existing rear defrost switch and and install this rear defrost/remote hatch switch, will I be able to plug this connector into the connection point and expect the rear hatch to release? Or, is there additional hardware on the other end rear hatch area necessary to complete this release?

The T/A I have has the Power latch (pinch your fingers kinda pulldown).

Thanks for any input. (P.S. I have alot of 3rd generation stuff up on ebay: search seller: funrudy)
Edd
Old 06-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird / 87' Formula
Engine: 3.4 / 5.0
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.42
So you have three cutouts right? As far as I know, the one on the far left was an option for some factory installed subs or something like that (to turn up the bass), then came the rear defrost, then came the hatch release.

As far as installing the remote hatch release, it's relatively easy and I ddi it myself. Unfortunately, you ned more than just the button

1. Button
2. Rear solenoid
3. Ground cable
4. Relay

I think that's all you need.

1. Button is an easy install as my wiring was all there already.

2. The rear solenoid had to come off a pull down type hatch motor and attaches to the unit and the mechanical lock and replaces the original regular lock release

3. The ground cable is a black wire. I forget exactly what it attaches to, but I think it was the solenoid and the frame of the car. I just took it off a junkyard car and put it in the same location as the junkyard car had it.

4. The relay was kinda hard. IDK about Trans Ams, but on my car the relay connection was on the passenger side underneath the plastic trim that goes right under the dash pocket. The guys over at the dealerships told me that the connector was on the driver side according to their wiring diagrams, but mine was actually on the passenger side

BTW, this is a V-6 89 bird
Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2001 Trans Am Ram Air
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 Speed
OK, I have the button (switch), and the wires off it to the molex-type connector. I am assuming it will plug into an exisiting plug there there.

The Rear Solenoid? I guess I should go back to the junkyard and hope to come across one?
Or was there a part reference or source you used?

And the relay? I will do some research on this.

THANKS!

Edd

Originally Posted by 1989karr
As far as installing the remote hatch release, it's relatively easy and I ddi it myself. Unfortunately, you ned more than just the button

1. Button
2. Rear solenoid
3. Ground cable
4. Relay

I think that's all you need.

1. Button is an easy install as my wiring was all there already.

2. The rear solenoid had to come off a pull down type hatch motor and attaches to the unit and the mechanical lock and replaces the original regular lock release

3. The ground cable is a black wire. I forget exactly what it attaches to, but I think it was the solenoid and the frame of the car. I just took it off a junkyard car and put it in the same location as the junkyard car had it.

4. The relay was kinda hard. IDK about Trans Ams, but on my car the relay connection was on the passenger side underneath the plastic trim that goes right under the dash pocket. The guys over at the dealerships told me that the connector was on the driver side according to their wiring diagrams, but mine was actually on the passenger side

BTW, this is a V-6 89 bird
Old 06-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird / 87' Formula
Engine: 3.4 / 5.0
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.42
Originally Posted by funrudy
OK, I have the button (switch), and the wires off it to the molex-type connector. I am assuming it will plug into an exisiting plug there there.

The Rear Solenoid? I guess I should go back to the junkyard and hope to come across one?
Or was there a part reference or source you used?

And the relay? I will do some research on this.

THANKS!

Edd
Yup, there should be an existing plug behind the trim panel. I know that the hatch release button has different connections/prongs than the rear defrost so it's pretty easy to identify the two.

As far as the soleoid, you're definetley going to have to go to the junkyard for the part becasue as far as I know, it's been discontinued by GM. it's silver and has an electrical connection vs. the manual black one. I think TDS sells them too if I'm not mistaken. As far as the relay, I just went down to a local redline and picked one up, about $12.00 or so. Overall, a little pain in the but to put it all together, but definetley well worth it! BTW, be sure not to forget the ground wire as there is no way it'll work without it!