Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Power Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Power Window Problems

Other than the fact that they're both slow, I'm having problems, especially with the passenger's side window. I'm sure most of the problems will be solved when I replace the switches (driver's side is intermittent, and I don't currently have a switch for the other), but there are still some things I'd like to solve with the PS window. Okay, I have lubed the tracks, removed, cleaned and lubed the rollers, and I have even dropped in a NEW motor (not AC/D ). The problem is that the window starts out just as fast as the driver's side (still slow, of course), but then it really slows down in the middle, and then near the bottom it speeds up again. Keep in mind I have a NEW motor on the regulator. If I completely remove the upper guides, the window still does the same thing. Also, both sides can be moved side to side at the top, and this is not helping my wind noise problems at all (neither is the badly adjusted DS t-top weatherstripping, but that's another matter).

WTF is up with my windows? I am pretty sure I CANNOT find a different regulator set at my local yards, BTW...

Also, if someone could dig up the link to the fourth gen retrofit wiring page, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ones that turn
I hate third gen power windows with a passion It kinda sounds like your motors are bad though with it slowing down towards the bottom, how does it do coming back up, maybe there is some binding somewhere my windows have been like this for like 6 months, but i just havent had the time to fix mine
Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Is the roller at the rear of the sash loose on the sash? That would bind the roller in the track on the way up and down. The other possibility is the switch overheating the contacts, new ones would help!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
For the driver's side, I know that the switch is at fault because sometimes I can push the switch with nothing happening on BOTH sides (I only have one switch at the moment ).

For the passenger's side, I went in over the weekend and adjusted and greased the crap out of everything. I used a trick I saw on a TV show and used silicone spray lube on the front guide rail, and used the same lube on the rest of the tracks. I inverted the upper felt guides and adjusted those properly, and also tightened the bolts holding the glass in the channel (those bolts were there when I bought the car... probably got a broken window or something and decided to half-a$$ that, screwing up the power lock mechanism on the way out, and I had to replace the door shell, so I just reused the hardware that was there). Now, the window tilts in and out a lot less, but it seems that the rear guide roller (in the vertical rear channel that has the rear up-stop) has some part in the fact that the window is loose in this direction, and it also works very well, very fast (faster than I've seen in a long time).