Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Yet another seat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
Yet another seat question

I'm looking to install some 'race' seats in my daily driver. I want/need provisions for a 5 or 6 point harness and I also want them to be decently comfortable, maybe adjustable, and defiantly reclineable. I've got a feeling that I'm going to try to find a place locally that will let me sit in a few seats but in case I can't what do you guys suggest?

Seat brackets are another concern. I don't want to do any rigging because this has to be able to survive a high impact crash if I ever do go into a wall at the track.

Is there a major difference between mounting 5 point belts and 6 point? As far as I’m aware it’s another crotch strap. Does the seat have to have provisions for these or can I just fab a bar and bolt it between the seat and the floor and run the belts to that? I plan on bolting the side belts to the stock locations and the shoulder belts to a roll cage.

Finally, camlock vs rotary? What’s the difference? Is there a safety impact?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
dude I do not want to rain on your parade but race seats and daily driver does not seem to mix

Why do you want race seats?

Flashy, to show off or just plain uncomfortability. Oh yeah I forgot you just have too much money!

No really I dont want to be a $%^hole I just want to say your seats are more than likely worn out. If you put more than just a 1/4 mile on your car at a time find a nice set of 4th gen seats and just bolt them in

I was in a junk yard for who knows what and I came across a smashed 4th gen the seats had blood, dirt, grease you name it.
the key was no holes and good seat bolsters. I got them for a song and took them to a high preasure car wash.

using my good friend super clean and about 3 bucks they now look like new and do not kill my back on long road trips

use your money for something else that doesnt cause you pain!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 trans am GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
^^^ eww i dont think id get some seats with blood on them.... ............. well actually if i could find some leather gta seats they could have brain matter on them and i wouldnt care
Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: CAMARO RS
Engine: 3.1 V6,5.0 tpi
Transmission: AUTOMATIC, t5
Axle/Gears: one tire fire ,posi disc
i have a daily driver its not even a v8 and i bought racing seats from kragen for $119 and they recline and look like leather. making them fit just takes some planing

step 1,get your old seat out and remove the tracks
step2, go buy the parts needed for the job i had to get some pcv pipe 1/2 in. longer bolts and two nuts the tools i used were a tap and die because they did not make metric bolts the right lengh a socket wrench a saw and a drill
step3, the saw is used to cut the pipe for a spacer because the seat i bought angled upward on one side and had to mount levle to the old tracks and the drill is to drill new holes to get the old tracks to fit. i think my seats look great. sorry i cant tell you about the harness i have not got one yet.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Originally posted by fitbmxseries1
^^^ eww i dont think id get some seats with blood on them.... ............. well actually if i could find some leather gta seats they could have brain matter on them and i wouldnt care
The key is to let it dry. My tan leather seats cleaned right up after I let the blood dry...

Kevin D.