Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hatch alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch alignment

is it true if i put a new glass in and adjust my hach the pulldown on the decklid wont line up and id need to re do the glass or is this a bunch of and if i follow duftsters tutorial and i will be in good shape
Old 02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 TA
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I've recently ran into this problem. Some vandals broke the back window outta my bird. GM wanted $1700 for the glass alone! Luckily I have a friend that had some extra glass...but no deck attached. I disassembled my old deck and sealed the new glass in. But before you seal it make sure it's even in the deck, you don't want to do this part over again. After you've got it all sealed it's time to put it on the car. It's best to have a couple friends to help with this part. Set the hatch in place and put the 4 bolts in, but don't tighten them all the way. carful not to scratch anything up that hatch is heavy. Once you've got the bolt in set the hatch down and ajust it to fit. Make extra sure you adjust and get it all perfect. Once it looks good just tighten the bolts up and you're down. You'll want those extra friends to help you because the glass is VERY heavy, and you'll need people to adjust the hatch while someone tightens them. 3 people had to help me. My new hatch fits in just like it were stock. Another good option is to look around for a whole new assembled hatch somewhere. eBay is always a great place to start looking. If you find one with a deck on it already then you won't have to waste time attaching and sealing the deck up...