Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

5 inch wing

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 inch wing

hey guys, anyone interested in a 5 inch wing for a third gen here is some helpful tips from my purchase of one. total cost with shipping was 335.00. im not going to put the company down who made it but this is what i received, others might be different so its up to you to choose! when i got it out of the box it was plain as day that the driver side piece had WAY to much fiberglass on it and had to have alot removed by sanding and shapping. lucky for me a friend of mine is a body man. i contacted the company about the wing and they wanted to see pics of it on the car. so i did that for them. they told me OHHH JUST A LIL SANDING, and asked if the car was ever wrecked cause when i put it on there was a big gap on the driver side to that i complained about. the car was never wrecked and only has 51,000 odd miles on it and my dad had it since off the show room. so basicaly i was stuck with it so i had my friend help me out since i dont know much about working with fiberglass or body work like that. we finished up with the side peice and i was happy with it after about 2 hours of sanding till it fight right. then he began to spray it for me and fortunately for me it was black paint and he didnt even get a full coat on and we seen the center section of the wing wasnt right. the fiberglass was sooooo wavy it looked like a flag blowing in the wind!! so after another 5 hours of sanding out high spots and filling in low spots, i had a smooth as a babys *** ready to paint wing. but my friend told me anyone who couldnt do it them self would have paid at least 400 bucks to a shop to finish that wing propperly and have it ready for paint. so in the end if anyone receives a wing like i did it will cost over 735.00 to have it look right and be worthy to put on such beautiful cars like we all have in here! like i said in the begining im not putting the company down, im just sharing my experiance with my wing. in the end it is an awsome wing and looks sweet! it adds just enough character and fits the body lines so beautifuly!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:06 AM

Car: 85 Z28, 88 GTA, 68 Cutlass S
Engine: 305TPI X2 ;), Chevy 250
Transmission: T5, 700R4, powerslide >:(
Axle/Gears: posi, and posi w/discs :D.
im super interested in getting one, what companys make it? what one is the best to get it from? if multiple companys make it that is... but yeah id love to get one.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
i think only hawks sells it?

and by the way i think you should definently post in the aftermarket product review section. Hawks has good feedback doesnt seem like they would sell a product that bad, but it seems though if they did they would definently work a deal out with you. I dunno good luck though that really sucks that it didnt go as planed.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: Roller 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: built ten bolt 3.73's
Wow, this is kind of a let down. I was planning on buying one of thse in ther near future. However being the poor college boy I am I don't have THAT much money to throw around let alone buy something that is going to require alot of finishing work to get it on and look good.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
i was hoping to get one, but this review really scares me off. I'll have to do some more research into this.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro SC (Supercool)
Engine: one composed of various metals
Dont be so quick to judge guys, when I got my spoiler it was very similar, as was irocbirdbuilders and Im sure many others. Keep in mind that it's fiberglass so it comes out of a mold. These things are not flawless and will be wavy/have excess crap on them....if you've ever bought an aftermarket hood you'd definatly know this. I wouldnt write a bad review at all for this spoiler because with a little elbow grease you've got yourself a spoiler that only a handful of people on this board, let alone in general, have.

as for your gap....try adjusting your hatch left/right...look in the top pic I posted and you can see that I have one on the left side as well....but it can be altered

Old 12-26-2005, 01:35 AM

hey camaroguy18, your car is sweet! im not judging hawks for the wing or trying to bad mouth them thats why i said what i said in my first post. but me, you and someone else for sure had the same problems. 300.00 bucks for a peice of fiberglass with no complex shape or contours being shipped with primer and all the filler that they had put in it before they finished it and i seen after i stripped it down and began sanding, you would think it would be or SHOULD be ready to paint ot of the box. this is far from the first aftermarket body part ive delt with and put on a car. ive done wings for imports, domestics, body kits.so on and so forth, but things that were of similar price and more complex were paint out of the box. i personaly feel we all should have received a more finished product. id be embarassed to let a product out the door from my company if it looked like mine did. but im not bad mouthing them. i told everyone its a sweet wing, i love it, i just wanted to let people know what my experiance was with mine.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:16 AM

Car: Red on Red 89 RS
Engine: LO3 305 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt / 2.73
Thanks for the review. I was just about to purchase one of those spoilers, but after reading this thread, I am not. I was debating making my own, just because I'm looking at around 340 shipped for a simple design.

If they are going to charge $300 for a very basic spoiler, that thing better be damn near ready to paint!!!

I got a jongbloed hood from G&T, that was a HOOD for $150 more than the spoiler, it required a light sanding on the edges, other than that it was perfect!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:48 AM

Car: 87 Z-28
Engine: A worn-out 305
Transmission: T-5, until it dies
Nice wing Camraoguy18! It may have needed a lot of wok to get it right, but
damn does it look right! Definitely fairly unique.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jimp2001
Thanks for the review. I was just about to purchase one of those spoilers, but after reading this thread, I am not. I was debating making my own, just because I'm looking at around 340 shipped for a simple design.

If they are going to charge $300 for a very basic spoiler, that thing better be damn near ready to paint!!!

I got a jongbloed hood from G&T, that was a HOOD for $150 more than the spoiler, it required a light sanding on the edges, other than that it was perfect!

If you can't handle a little bit of sanding and fitting with the Hawks one there is no way you are ready to try and make your own.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by johnyIROC
If you can't handle a little bit of sanding and fitting with the Hawks one there is no way you are ready to try and make your own.

just what I was thinking......and furthermore, why would your friend think it would cost 400 bucks in labor to sand it down, do you have some before pics of just how bad it was...you're beginning to make it sound like you were given a block of fiberglass and had to chisel out a spoiler from it (being light-hearted here)
Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I love the look but I'll be brutally honest, I think its way way overpriced. I mean, a replacement 91-92 wing is around $200 and it is a much more complex wing than this 5 inch wing. And to be honest, the quality of the aftermarket 91-92 wings appear to be much much better. Bottom line, they are making a wing that nobody else makes so if you want it you gotta pay what they want and deal with whatever they put you through. I like it but I flat out refuse to pay that much.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
Bottom line, they are making a wing that nobody else makes so if you want it you gotta pay what they want and deal with whatever they put you through. I like it but I flat out refuse to pay that much.
gotta love supply/demand (terribly overpriced)
Old 12-27-2005, 11:26 AM

hey camaro guy, i have no photos that show how wavy the wing was, the camera didnt show the waves...but just remember it is BLACK.... made it look worse of course. but both side pieces and the center section when we filled in with filler were all about 75% covered in filler to fill in all the low spots the center section about a quarter way down from the top of it all the way to the bottom was all wavy with high spots and low spots. and as for having a shop do the work for you and being at least 400 bucks....my friend does it for a living....we had about 7 hours in to the wing not counting wet sanding and buffing the clear and also not counting painting it. the 7 hours was just sanding and filling and sanding more.lol. most shops charge 50 to 70 an hour for that kind of work not counting cost of materials. i had no choice but to do all my work that i did cause i was using black paint.you cant hide imperfections in black.lol. with it all done the wing was worth the money and labor to me it is an awsome wing.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

from how it sounds, you did get a very flawed spoiler, and it would be something worth mentioning to Hawks. Mine had flaws, but nothing in comparison to what you are describing. It's unfortunate, but it happens....in the end Im glad you're satisfied