Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What do I do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
What do I do??

What do I do, you can read the story if you would like to give me some suggestions.

Well, I was selling one of my cars on craigslist and someone came to see it last night. It was about 6pm when he came. I had to go to driving lessons so I can pass my roadtest on the first try, (I am 16). I told him that the car was not insured or registered. He said he would only drive it on the block and I agreed since my mother was home. I had the lessons at 6- 6:45. I came back from the lessons and he said he would buy the car from me for the asking price. From looking out the window he asked why didnt the passenger light go down? I was sort of wondering the same thing since it never had a problem before. I said I didnt know and he said he would still buy the car. I told him I have an extra set of keys and he said keep them for now untill he picks up the car later this week. He has the title and I have the cash.
Well, I look outside my bedroom window this morning at both of the cars and I see that the blue one (the one I sold) must have hit something last night. Since the damage was done to the side the car was parked on the curb. The whole fender was dented up, I could not believe it, this body was perfect, no dents, no rust, the body was good. I then figured out why the passenger side light didnt go down, the fender had wedged up against the light forcing it to stay up. I had no idea what he hit. UNTILL I walked around to my car (the red one) and see he hit my drivers side fender. I was fuming, at first I was mad that he crashed the car he bought from me, then I was pissed when I couldent open my drivers side door. The damage is far worse on the one that I sold, but still at least he can get in his car. I need to go through the passenger side. Now I am scared that he will want his money back since he bought the car in the dark and we both didnt see any damage to it last night. My red car is insured but does not have collision. . .
So far what I have done is took alot of pics of the damage. I will attach some. I also talked to a few neighbours to see if they saw any thing last night and also to take note that I did not drive the car this morning. I have not talked to the person who bought the car yet, he said he would call me when he wanted to pick it up.

So... any suggestions.
How do I take a fender off so I can replace the one that is on my car?

Pics of the car I sold....

Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Pics of my red car...

Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Automatic 4 speeds
Axle/Gears: 2.77
I would keep his cash and beat the hell out of him
Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: Stock
Son of a...

Could you report this to the police? I wouldn't sell him the car, and try to keep his cash for repairs (how much was it?). If all else fails kick his ***.

As for the fender. My Chilton's manual (for a Camaro) says to remove the hood, GFX, and wheel well lining from the fender. Then undo all the bolts. Undo all the wires for the blinkers etc. Then slide the fender toward the rear of the car and pull it out. That's for the Camaro, but they should both be pretty much the same. Good luck with it all.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for that info, he picked up the car today while I was not here, he didnt call me about anything so I have to call him tonight and confront him about it. I will record it and try and catch him in a lie, and if he lies I tell him I have pics of the damage to both vehicles. I got 1800 out of the other car, it has a 305 Tpi that didnt run great with 130K miles on it. The paint was fading on it but the body was DENTLESS and rustless before... well its his car now not much I can do about it. The car would have made an awesome project car... but...
I just cant understand how someone can be so dumb...
At least now I have some spare cash to finish some of the other projects on the 91... if I can get the door open.

Last edited by 1985WS6transam; 12-03-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
C'MON GUYS,
We all know kicking someones *** is out of the question...no matter how badly we'd like to.
That damage was not done without him knowing!! He is just trying to put a spin on it and not own up.
My guess is, he will deny the whole thing, and claim it was like that when he took possession of the car.
How in the world did he pick up the car when no one was home?? That's just asking for trouble. At the very least a police report was in order, If you don't have that , you're probably screwed. Maybe the cops will accept the photos, though. It is very obvious what happened. Who knows, maybe he felt bad and that's why he didn't quibble about the price. He knew he was in the wrong, and would probably end up paying for the damages.
In any case, the fender does not have to come off. Just have someone GENTLY open the door as far as you can before it hits the fender, use a flat rigid tool, (small flat prybar, gasket scraper, a body spoon is perfect, but most people don't have one of those laying around.) wrapped in tape to pry the fender past the door. (This will prevent further chipping.)
Once the door clears the fender, open the door all the way, Grab ahold of the fender at the body line and yank it out. As long as it's past the door, you're good. Just GENTLY check for clearance when you close the door SLOWLY. a temporary fix, I know, but you don't have to climb in the pass. side.

Last edited by KEVIN G.; 12-03-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Car: 86 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305 LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Just tell him you want more cash to cover the repairs of your car.Thats what Id do and see what he says. but damn that sucks, Id be so friggin mad.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
Alright, First, Call the police and report this, ask your neighbors to come by and back up your story.

Second, Unfortunetly, you are still liable for both your own vehicles. The car was NOT insured and NOT registered and you allowed him to drive it. Unfortunatly, you are liable. Or your parents are, who ever registered the car or who ever the title says it belongs too.

I know this because my mother insisted on driving a Monte Carlo I had that wasnot registered or insured and i got stuck with the tickets and Insurance when she backed into a car.

Personally, I would demand the vehicle back and keep the cash. Get the police involved. Seems to me he fully intended on stealing it.

I would have kept ALL the keys will he came to pick it up and would not have released the title to him till time of pick up. that was a mistake there as well.

So unless you know where this guy is and where he took "his" car You are kinda screwed.

There are a whole lot of Shoulda's but you are at this point now to where you can try to sue him for damages, but Definatly make a police report.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

I gave him the keys because he gave me the money, this was at night, Im not saying this isnt all my fault. I know some parts of this I was quite dumb but I gave him the keys so he could take it when I wasnt home. I didnt know he hit my car. I knew it was dumb letting him drive it w/o insurance but I couldnt afford to insure it. How else would I be able to sell it if he couldnt drive it? I never registered it under my name or my parents name, I never transferred the title from the person I bought it from, the person just signed it and left everything else blank. I have the $1800 cash. Which is sort of a good thing. My father is a City Police Lieutenant and is going to find out his address for me. Apparently this guy is an actor. His website is ashkollbeck.com.

I will be getting that door open tommorow, thanks for the help. and I hope it doesnt snow.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
Wow, ok this guy is a flake LOL, He used a windows background picture for his website ( If you haven't cleared out the Sample Pictures folder in the My Documents folder you will see it )

Well if your Dad is a Police officer, Hopefully he can get this straightned out for you.

I know it is hard to sell a car without someone being able to drive it, Maybe your Mom should have gone with him. Or He could have waited till the Morning.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is screaming this guy was either Drunk or High.

He's the one that wrecked the car, he would know why the headlight didn't go down.

Perhaps he felt guilty about messing up the car, but still he should have come clean.

If I had the money and I wrecked a car I was buying, I would certainly buy the car and admit that I wrecked it and offer to pay for any damages done to the other car.

Then again maybe I am more of a responsible person then this moron.

This is a terrible situation jsut all the way around. Keep us posted on how things are going.