Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Putting down pearls or airbrushing over apaint that has been already cleared?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991Firebird T/A
Engine: 350
Transmission: Modified Viper t-56
Axle/Gears: dana 44, 3.55
Putting down pearls or airbrushing over apaint that has been already cleared?

Well, here's the story - car was painted back in march of 04...

what im looking to do is possibly have a set of ghost stripes sprayed on, and possibly some airbrushing done instead of putting on a set of fender badges...

For those who know what they are talkin about, what would be the process for this? would we essentially have to reclear the car?

at this point, i figuered my best bet would be to see if anyone on here knows the answer... my airbrush friend is starting to get very good, and also is curious incase he needs to do it to another car..

Thanks for the help - did a *quick* search and didn't really find any answers to my question...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
From what I have read you add the pearl into the clear coat.. So basically, If I am right. You tape off the car and leave the design and add the pearl to the clear and have at it. So really you are adding another coat of clear to the car in the form of your design. What I might do is add the clear/Pearl, let it dry and then do another all voer clear coat to even it all out.

Like I said I could be way off the mark, maybe one of the other guys ( or Girls ) have more insight on this.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: Custom Forged 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" 4:11's Detroit Locker
no way to do it unless you reclear the car...

first off all peral doesnt go in the clear.....pearl is a midcoat that sits between the base and the clear...hence the name...midcoat....if y want graphics and pearl ghost stripes...you have to do it on top of the basecoat to get it lookin right....then clear over it...

if you do it now...the graphics are gonna be lookin funny....once you clear them...they are gonna look suspended between teh two coats of clear....so the only way to do it right....is to start from scratch...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
I find that kinda interesting. I am using the Hot Hues from Dupont and the tech guy said the pearl goes into the first coat of clear coat.

The paintshop guy I am renting the booth from said the same thing.. Maybe it's just with those Dupont pearls?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
ok so here is the in the know answer......

hot heus is diffrent but it can be used other ways...

you will need to wet sand the entire car with 800 grit. wipe clean ect

tape off your flame pattern, cover with frisket paper, cut out the flame pattern tack rag...ect

mix pearl in clear BASE coat..sg100 from hok works well. the spray it on. you just follow the edges real light to get a ghost affect. to much coverage or to wet and it will show all the time.

then when done remove all taping off car, clean with water based cleaner, tack ect,, reclear entire car 3 coats.

this is the only way to protect the graphics, yes you can only sand where the flames are going and mask off the rest of the car but the clear may look diffrent from where you stop the mask.

jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

what you really need is real fire, i know someone who does that......
Attached Thumbnails Putting down pearls or airbrushing over apaint that has been already cleared?-welding-mask-006.jpg  
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
Now Jeff, no trolling for extra jobs from baord members...,

Both answers are correct.
SOME pearls are midcoat base...Some are mid clear coat...The only correct answer is from your paint company. Graphics are a different animal than just a tri-coat paint job and really this is the best way to do it no matter what. I would rather paint the entire car and clear it, wetsand and do the graphics over the cleared panel, then re-clear, less chance of biting into your base...having to re-shoot the entire project... and THEN clearing.
I would say at this point to do as Jeff has suggested and wetsand the entire car. (I wouldnt go as agressive as 800, but that's just me.) Lay out your design and re-clear.
You will be astounded at how deep it is.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

hey nothing wrong with trolling work

after all i am cheap, and now have access to a fancy paint booth for the bigger projects and the prep guys gotta love that.

i do 800 with my graphics but it depends alot on the clear that is on the car. if its highbuild three coats no problem if its a factory i would not even consider 800 that stuff is thin.....

i am also useing the 3m dry sanding process with the innerface pad so it is quite forgiving and controllable.

kevin when we doing your car.. i need a practice peice for the pheonix in real fire

damn where did i learn all this stuff....... oh ya thanks kev

jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
kevin when we doing your car.. i need a practice peice for the pheonix in real fire
Maybe you could tutor me, with as well as everything's goin for you..
It's definitely due for a new paintjob. 13 yrs and running...now starting to show her age.
****, man I didn't even have a chance to get it out of storage this year.
i am also useing the 3m dry sanding process with the innerface pad so it is quite forgiving and controllable.
Probably the most innovative product to come along in years.
It has cut our wetsanding/wheeling time in half.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

let me know.... maybe you can show me some more tricks

oh and for ghost flames theer is a great dvd out by vandemon. he goes over the entire process although he does hand mask and a duplicating process that seems hard for the hood without some diffrent equipment. but well worth a look. the hardest part of the ghost is spray just the right amount of pearl to much and you see it all the time not enought and you don;t see it.

jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991Firebird T/A
Engine: 350
Transmission: Modified Viper t-56
Axle/Gears: dana 44, 3.55
awesome info guys - and also what i figuered - shoulda had everything done at once... (only makes sense right?)

guess we'll have to see how it goes...

the car was resprayed with dupont paints, a nice black, and i beleive 3 clears....