Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005 | 07:08 PM

Car: 1983 T/A
Engine: OUT (350 Block)
Transmission: 700-R4 sometimes
Axle/Gears: 3.23, moser 12 bolt >=3.73 someday
Hood Scoop

Has anyone installed one of these on their bird/camaro? I want to put one on my T/A. Im worried that it would either look great or look really bad. Im builing a moderate 383 so i will more or less have the power to back it up. For sure hp into the 400's and torque to boot. Obviously this will be definetly cold air coming in and I should have enough height with an air gap rpm on a stock firebird hood (getting rid of my power bulge). Is this going to be useable in the rain even? Id think it would be fine b/c the air filter would grab most/all of it. could be wrong though....

Scoop

Last edited by tad1214; 11-06-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2005 | 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
I've always pondered putting one of those on my Camaro just for kicks. But I don't know if the Firebird has the right lines to compliment a scoop like that. Maybe if you got some slicks in the back to go for an all-out drag car look...

Do a search, I'm sure someone has already done it.
Old 11-07-2005 | 08:27 PM

Car: Badass 1991 Firebird
Engine: Screamin' 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.42's waiting to go in!
Hot Wheels

That's an awesome scoop--I toyed with the idea of either a shaker scoop from a second gen, or a carb scoop like that, or one of the simple carb scoops like Holley makes. I think if it just poked above the hood it would be cool, a Hotwheels look. They make them for single and dual carb (and TBI) applications. Only thing is I think that scoop costs around 700-800 bucks...probably find one cheaper on ebay. I found a site that had them for around 135.00 I believe. Do a Google Search for carb scoops...

For rain protection, you could either fab a pan do go around the bottom of the scoop, with a drain hole and tube to route water and dump it like the old shakers had...or buy a bolt on fiberglass scoop to cover it in the winter, with an inner flange, so you could take the scoop off and on.

The other thing is that our motors are offset to the pass side about and inch and a half, something like that, (to make up for driver weight?), so you might have to fab a carb neck to deal with the offset and get your scoop centered. I say do it, it will look cool--gotta have shiny rims though.
Old 11-09-2005 | 12:22 AM

wont be driving it in the winter. I tried that last year, I woulda had better luck driving a buttered snake. RWD + Light weight + 1/32'nds left on tire = really hard to drive in straight lines in snow. But I'm just worried about the rain getting into the scoop + air filter. If it gets wet wont that hurt peformance alot? Im not worried about wet performance so if it would dry fast w/o side effects im good. It goes right on the carb so it may just have to be offset. Idk, it would look ok i think. Gotta have my hood bird so the bulge hood isnt going to work.
Old 11-09-2005 | 03:06 AM

Car: Badass 1991 Firebird
Engine: Screamin' 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.42's waiting to go in!
Hmmm...I've read over and over that a bit of water won't hurt your air filter/motor, however, what is the weather like where you are? If your air filter gets wet, then freezes, you get no air, so not good. If you had, say a 4" cowl scoop that pinned/bolted on and off, that would protect your motor better, and you could pull off the cowl in April...

If you are using the car as a daily driver though, you gotta think about protecting your motor, so IMHO for winter driving you need a scoop/cowl hood over that sucker. For traction, throw some sandbags in the back, and get some mudders on there. I used to put big rocks in my trunk when I lived in Canada, worked great. Even so I wouldn't drive an F-body in the winter with bald tires!

Check out this link: http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm
Old 11-09-2005 | 11:35 AM

Well thats cool. Im not worried about winter too much. I have an explorer i drive when its cold. Driving with bald tires in the dry is great, holy burn outs is sweet. Try 20 foot burn out mark on a worn out 350. I cant wait until my car is done. I am going to go / the scoop plus the few extra hp will be nice. Not to mention all the races I will get from ricers thinking their cold air induction and fart cannon (along with the obligitory stickers from every possible company) adds 400+ FWHP. :-D Gotta love the muscle.
Old 11-09-2005 | 11:44 AM

Heres one on a third gen.

Old 11-09-2005 | 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I think they look like ***. Just not my thing, I like clean lines and subtle mods. But it's your buck, and your car. Do it if you like it, just try to mount it in a position to integrate with your hood line.

A thread like this came up awhile ago and a few people had the opinion that those style scoops were trying to immitate having a screw-type charger up on top of your engine and thus, they hated the look. Weirdos.
Old 01-27-2006 | 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 L98
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt w/3.27 lim. slip
Originally posted by Poncho Villa
Hmmm...I've read over and over that a bit of water won't hurt your air filter/motor, however, what is the weather like where you are? If your air filter gets wet, then freezes, you get no air, so not good. If you had, say a 4" cowl scoop that pinned/bolted on and off, that would protect your motor better, and you could pull off the cowl in April...

If you are using the car as a daily driver though, you gotta think about protecting your motor, so IMHO for winter driving you need a scoop/cowl hood over that sucker. For traction, throw some sandbags in the back, and get some mudders on there. I used to put big rocks in my trunk when I lived in Canada, worked great. Even so I wouldn't drive an F-body in the winter with bald tires!

Check out this link: http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm
I had bad luck with this company. They jacked me for my $$$! GN3 FBDY