Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fiberglass Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: Auto
Fiberglass Center Console

Ok, after lots of debate on what to do about my center console(because I want the new style, but I have a camaro, and I don't wanna swap the whole dash) I have decided to fabricate my own. I was in the Audio Forum, and was reading about fiberglass, and the lights went off in my head, why not make my own center console? I've did a little searching/reading about fiberglass doesn't look like you need a PhD. to make fiberglass enclosures for speakers, couldn't be that hard to do a console, right? I know there are lots of holes, and slots to cut but thats the easy part I would think, the hard part would be the designing and getting a form of somekind. I can use existing brackets and hangers to mount stuff in it, I can use a new style A/C heater controls, along with the bezel, man I am getting excited I gotta open up autoCad and start drawing stuff up.

Has anyone done this before? Do you have any pictures? More links and things on fiberglass stuff, already ready all the stuff from the Audio Forum on this site.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
A good friend of mine owns a top audio company in my area. He makes fiberglass dashes, consoles, and whatnot. Its not all that difficult, but if its your first time doing it, well.. it just might be. He does this kind of stuff every day, and for him, he does a very good job and can do it relatively easily.

He's offered to make a fiberglass center console for me on a few occasions, however I usually just turn him down. It does cost money, and since I don't even have a radio in my car, I have other priorities first.. lol
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Sonar_un
A good friend of mine owns a top audio company in my area. He makes fiberglass dashes, consoles, and whatnot. Its not all that difficult, but if its your first time doing it, well.. it just might be. He does this kind of stuff every day, and for him, he does a very good job and can do it relatively easily.

He's offered to make a fiberglass center console for me on a few occasions, however I usually just turn him down. It does cost money, and since I don't even have a radio in my car, I have other priorities first.. lol

I know that it would cost alot of money if I had someone else do it but if I do it my self it will cost me less, unless your friend will do it for me for free LOL. And I will have a radio cause my car is a v6, its mostly just a daily driver now, but afer spending a few dollars to update it, and improve it I will sell the car, to some kid that wants a cool looking old car, cause it will be old to 16 year olds.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
I used to be an asst manager for a car audio shop... fiberglassing is pretty easy. My suggestion though, is start out with something small and see how you do. From my experience in the past, some people just doesn't have the knack for it... but like I said, it's fairly easy, and you've done your research, so I think you'd be fine. Good luck, and don't forget to post pix when it's done!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by *F-BodyFanatic*
I used to be an asst manager for a car audio shop... fiberglassing is pretty easy. My suggestion though, is start out with something small and see how you do. From my experience in the past, some people just doesn't have the knack for it... but like I said, it's fairly easy, and you've done your research, so I think you'd be fine. Good luck, and don't forget to post pix when it's done!
oh, i will post pics before-during-after this is prob, gonna take me a while to get all the ingredients, plus i'm moving soon, and getting carpet first, but after all that stuff is taken care of I will start small, prob a speaker enclosure or something like that. do you know any other good resources for fiberglass fabrication?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
Originally posted by earlesimers
do you know any other good resources for fiberglass fabrication?
I have a few links... but they're on my other computer. Sorry man... if I get a chance to get them off, I'll let ya know
Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by *F-BodyFanatic*
I have a few links... but they're on my other computer. Sorry man... if I get a chance to get them off, I'll let ya know
sounds good, and thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
fiberglassing isn't bad once you get the knack for it, but until then, it can be extremely frustrating. Finding out what mold release works best, what type of fiberglass works best (mat, cloth, and thickness), and how to get it to stay where you want it all get very frustrating until you've done it a few times and have overcome these types of hurdles.

For something like a center console, I think the biggest challenge will be to figure out how to build the structure that supports the fiberglass. You need it to have the shape you want, and it's got to be made in a way that your fiberglass doesn't adhere to it, and it's got to be made in a way that it and the fiberglass can be separated without damage to the fiberglass... this means special attention needs to be paid to any concave portions of the product. You can't fiberglass all the way around something then expect to get that piece out without damaging the fiberglass!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
............................For something like a center console, I think the biggest challenge will be to figure out how to build the structure that supports the fiberglass. You need it to.........................
Well what would you suggest? I was thinking just like a 1x wood skeleton, then wrap it with fleece, or what ever. as far as curves haven't made it that far in the thought process. still coming up with the initial design.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 AM

first draft design on my console, don't laugh.......its a first draft.......
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Center Console-console.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2011 SS/RS
Engine: LS3
Transmission: Tremic6060
Axle/Gears: good enough
looks good... ANy ideas on how the for the lack of a better word, ball on the stock shifter comes off? Im thinking of doing some custom work as in my console, just not as much as you are
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Firebreed
looks good... ANy ideas on how the for the lack of a better word, ball on the stock shifter comes off? Im thinking of doing some custom work as in my console, just not as much as you are
....um my ball was already off mine(lol)......um the kid that had the car before put a fake 8ball on it, it has a little set screw on it, most aftermarket ones have some sort of set screw, someone else tell me if i'm wrong..
Old 09-02-2005, 02:04 AM

Car: 86 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by Firebreed
I believe there is a c-clip at the base inside the shifter **** under the button that you pop out (try using a tiny flathead screwdriver or something) and the ball should come off.

Nice concept you have there, I wanna see it when its finished.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by JDubya18
...................................Nice concept you have there, I wanna see it when its finished.
thank you, you will see it but it will be awhile, this is gonna take me some time, plus I have to moved before i can get started on a new project.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Originally posted by earlesimers
first draft design on my console, don't laugh.......its a first draft.......
Ok... if you're doing a fleece wrap, then a lot of what I said before may not apply, because you won't be removing the fiberglassed piece from the wooden frame you construct.

Stretching fleece, soaking it in poly or resin, then reinforcing it with some fiberglass mat is really a pretty simple process and shouldn't pose too many problems.