Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help identify my seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.27 Posi
Help identify my seats

I'm trying to figure out what seats are in my car. When I bought it, the previous owner said the original GTA seats were stolen, so he replaced them. Identify what seats these are and what year they were available. They are manual seats if this helps. I got the seat belt holders on the headrest from a junk yard, since the car didn't come with any.

Pics were taken at night, so the flash makes the seats look grey, when they are actully black.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:06 AM

Car: 91' Camaro, 71' MERCEDES
Engine: Camaro 3.1L
those look like fourth gen seats to me, i think those seats were in production in 93'-02' base model firebirds, but i could be wrong...

Last edited by alxtre99; 08-19-2005 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
They look like early 4th gen camaro seats
Old 08-19-2005, 03:41 AM

Car: 82 Firebird SE
Engine: 350 CCC 4bbl
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt, 3.23
The fronts look like are from an early 4th gen Firebird, could be almost any year 4th gen Firebird but if you are saying they are black and meant full jet black, it's highly likely from a 98 or 00 and up Firebird. Dark charcoal or graphite was available prior to those years. The back set looks more like from a 3rd gen Camaro considering it's a split-back seat setup which was not available in 4th gens to my knowledge. The pattern is more Camaro'ish since Firebirds rear seats would closely match the pattern and material of the front seats. The exact year Camaro I'm not sure of, sorry. Best guess maybe late 80's/early 90's going by the condition if that was an available option during that time frame. By the way, your setup looks good. I personally prefer the Firebird setup for the support features. Both on yours look in excellent condition.
I have a front and rear setup from a 94 Firebird that looks exactly like the fronts on yours in graphite thats going in my 82 Firebird. Does your driver seat have an extra lever to tilt the whole seat back and fort? My 94 set has it. Worth a check if you did not know about it.
Congrats on the new ride, looks good.
Allan
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 AM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.27 Posi
Originally posted by morpwral
The fronts look like are from an early 4th gen Firebird, could be almost any year 4th gen Firebird but if you are saying they are black and meant full jet black, it's highly likely from a 98 or 00 and up Firebird. Dark charcoal or graphite was available prior to those years. The back set looks more like from a 3rd gen Camaro considering it's a split-back seat setup which was not available in 4th gens to my knowledge. The pattern is more Camaro'ish since Firebirds rear seats would closely match the pattern and material of the front seats. The exact year Camaro I'm not sure of, sorry. Best guess maybe late 80's/early 90's going by the condition if that was an available option during that time frame. By the way, your setup looks good. I personally prefer the Firebird setup for the support features. Both on yours look in excellent condition.
I have a front and rear setup from a 94 Firebird that looks exactly like the fronts on yours in graphite thats going in my 82 Firebird. Does your driver seat have an extra lever to tilt the whole seat back and fort? My 94 set has it. Worth a check if you did not know about it.
Congrats on the new ride, looks good.
Allan
Perhaps they are dark charcoal or graphite, but they do go with the black carpet, and panels nicely. Yes it does have a lever that rocks the seat.

So I'm half way to 4th gen seats I guess. I want leather, so I could get these reupholstered. Anyone got any good sites for leather covers? The foam on them is still in perfect shape.

Also Is there any way to make them power? Would changing the base from manual to power what I would need to do. I have the power wires under my seats, but the ends are cut off. Probably when the GTA seats were stolen.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
yep, its been said. Ive actually got the same front seats in my car, also have the rears that go w/ them though. Those are later model 4th gen seats, thinking 97+ or 96+ can't remember. Can tell from the tall headrest, vs. the big bubble headrests of the early 4th gens.

The rears are definately 3rd gen camaro seats, and 50/50 folding.

You could re-cover the seats, but it would probably cost more money than buying 4th gen leather seats.

You could also switch them to power, just get all the hardware from a set of 4th gen power seats. I'm a little curious on the placement of the power controllers though, as some of the 4th gens have them in a different style of plastic on the side of the seat, that may, or may not swap over. But, that's information that i don't have.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
Those are base model 93-97 Firebird/Formula seats, the Trans Am seats have a huge headrest on them and were lumbar where the base model or Formula seats were exactly like the ones you have in the front, the 98+ seats didn't have the manual tilt.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LB9
My 91 Camaro had those same rear seats. I'm not sure what other years they were available, though.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HotshotGTA,

morpwral has it right.

Front seats are from a base Firebird. I know everyone here is saying '93-97, but your seats look identical to a set I have in my car; I removed them from a '99 base Firebird.

Rear seats are from an '80s Camaro.

You want leather? I have aftermarket leather on my '99 seats.

Go to www.katzkin.com and you can see the patterns, and different color options.

The first thing you'll need to do is get a set of 4thgen rear seats---Katzkin does not make leather covers for thirdgen seats---some of the thirdgen rear seats look the same, but they are shaped a little bit different.