Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hatch Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 MPFI V6
Hatch Lock

I just bought an '85 Firebird and the hatch key that came with it was already bent, and then proceeded to break. The hardware store said they could not make a new key out of the pieces, and then a couple of my more shady friends tried popping the lock by hammering a screwdriver in. Now the key piece wont even fit in. Does anyone know if it is possible to pop the lock from the inside? I can get another hatch lock from a friend who has a Camaro purely for parts, and I can get to the inside of the lock by crawling through the back of the car, I'm just not sure what to do from there. Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 AM

Car: 83 recaro, 82 grandprix, 72 skylark
i opened the hatch on a firebird today at the wreckers by inside the car. but the interior pannel was off. i dont think you can remove it from inside as there is 2 top screws in the pannel wich are access by the hatch being opened. you just turn the little flat bar thing going into the lock mechanism. i could get a pic if needed.

if you could get another interior pannel easy you could as a another option drill a large hole in the pannel and ream it out with a dremal big enough to get some plyers in there to turn that lock thingy.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:35 AM

I saw the flat bar inside and thought that it needed to be turned, but I wasn't sure. I'll check if I can get another interior panel for the back, if not I'll try it the hard way which involves me contorting my body in order to fit under the panel. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 PM

Car: 83 recaro, 82 grandprix, 72 skylark
i was just working on getting my new tail lights correct and i had the back pannel off and the lock didnt have the little flat blade thing in it because its the electric version. so if yours has a electric motor that pulls the hatch down tight then you will need to take a small flat end screw driver and put it in the slot and turn.

good luck
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 PM

I just discovered the easiest way to do it. There is a light on the back panel, and above it a little switch for it. I unscrewed the switch, and then behind it was a hole. All I had to do was stick a flathead screwdriver in and turn it. I spent almost an hour in the back trying to open the hatch and then 2 hours trying to get the spare tire and jack out without the hatch open, when all I had to do was about a minute of work. Thanks for the suggestions though.