Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

late model factory radio and climate control

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
late model factory radio and climate control

I read somewhere that somebody was converting their F-Body to a climate control setup. Would love to see more about this, what parts to use, etc. Also, I love the stock lock of my car. My wife's 99 Grand Prix has a CD-Player with EQ. This is a nice radio and would look great in my Bird. I am assuming it should just plug in to the connector? Also, will it fit in where my old radio sits?

Thanks
Hawkeye
Attached Thumbnails late model factory radio and climate control-bird.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
It will work. They are the same dimesions. The tabs that hold the deck in might need some work, i.e. cutting, but no big deal.

As for the climate control, I don't think it will be as easy. Our cars go off of levers whereas the GP's and newer go off of vacuum hoses and such. But I'm no expert, but that's what I remember when this question is asked.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Actually there's a good chance that the GP stereo will not work in the third gen or any other car for that matter. In the late 90's/early 00's GM started incorporating their data bus systems into cars. The head unit performs not only the basic radio/cd player functions but is also responsible for warning chimes and other functions. Most new (stock) headunits also contain the vehicle's VIN # stored on a chip & will not work in other vehicles because of that.

"In 2000, GM introduced what they dubbed the Class 2 Data Bus. The Class 2 Data bus allows the PCM (powertrain control module) to communicate with other parts of the car, such as OnStar. There's really nothing wrong with this until you want to install an aftermarket car audio system.

Basically, GM integrated the user interface of the Class 2 Data Bus into a familiar user interface: The radio. This sends chime signals to the front speakers, should there be something that needs your attention, such as the turn signal is on too long or OnStar tries to tell you something. If you remove the factory radio, you lose the chimes as well as OnStar. Removing the factory radio will light up the "Service Soon" dash light. The Class 2 Databus also checks for the presence of the amplifier, if so equipped."

One notable exception is the 4th gen (interior only) if you're not gonna keep the car in production much longer, why add new complicated technology.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
It does work, took some playing around with the wiring but it works. Even runs the auto antenna. Just need to modify the box, it is somewhat a tight fit. I will play with it more next spring. As for the climate control I did see a posting around here somewhere. The fellow f-body enthusiast was using a unit from an early 90's buick I think.

I will have to search for it.

Thanks for the answers folks!

Hawkeye