Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1991 Trans-Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans-Am
Engine: 350 TPI (SLP mods from factory)
Transmission: 700 R4 (built with 2500 stall)
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Posi
1991 Trans-Am

I am buying a '91 Trans-Am in the next few weeks (From Fred91ta off this site)

I have three questions:

1. The car needs a rear spoiler, and I was going to go with the factory spoiler, but then I thought about the Fourth Gen Spoiler. I was wondering if the fourth gen spoiler would look any better than the original. I like the original, but was thinking of doing something different, but I have not seen a third gen TA with a fourth gen Spoiler before, so not sure if it will look good.

2. I am going to get a Ramair Hood for it, and I see two different choices. one is from the 97-99 models (which is smaller) and the second is from the 2001-2003 (which is bigger). I like the way both look, with the exception of the second one looking a little to big on the car. Seems to rise a good bit off the hood, and I do not like that. But I can not find the first choice (smaller one) with a working airbox. Was wondering if the bigger one (with airbox) looks good on the third gen TA.

3. This car I am purchasing has a 700r4. I want to put a 6 speed in it. The transmission shop here in town, told me they would have to bill me hourly. Any pointers on how to do this myself? I was thinking of installing it myself and have them make the new cross member, and get the peddle working for me. But I hear it is not that hard to do, so if someone has pointers on how to go about this tranny swap, I would appreciate it.

If anyone has any answers or pic (of spoiler or hood), you can post them here, or email them to me.

wend_scot@charter.net

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you decide to go with a 3rd gen spoiler i have one off of a 91-92 T/A,GTA.Its bright red and in really nice shape.I see you are in alabama.I am about to move to tuscaloosa soon and currently only live about an hour away if you might be interested.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
First, you might have better luck on answers if you weren't posting in the classifieds.

There is a 4th gen replica wing for our cars. A couple of the sponcers above make it... check those out. IMO, looks better than the 3rd gen aerowing (of which I do not care for).

As for the ram air hood, I think the late 4th gen replica hood doesn't flow as well with the car... it's curvy, and let's face it, our cars are from the 80's/early 90's... when box was how it was. I love the way the early 4th gen replica hood looks, and I plan to put one on my car. JMO

And for your T-56 FAQ, check out the Tech boards. It's been asked many a time, and with a quick search you'll find all the answer you need. Then after you've done some searches, ask questions on any particular questions you might still have. Lots of people here to help ya!

Good luck on your project!!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Car: 1991 Trans-Am
Engine: 350 TPI (SLP mods from factory)
Transmission: 700 R4 (built with 2500 stall)
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Posi
ty for ur answers, I am new to this site and board, so I will look to move my questions to tech.....lol.

I will search for answers to my tranny question.

350TPI, I live in Tuscaloosa right now, just moved back here (born here) beginning of last year.