Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Who has taken their camaro apart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Who has taken their camaro apart?

Yea I've got some questions before I head out to the junkyard.

How does the dash pad come off? It looks like just some screws up top and underneath is that right?

What is required to pull a door off?

Rocker emblems, know I know they have 2 pegs on the back? Is there a way to remove them w/o damaging them? Does the GFX have to come off?

Side molding is just held on by adhesive correct? Any good way to get it off?

The headlight mount piece, I'm guessing I'm going to have to take off the front bumper to get to it? Just bolts though? Speaking of the front bumper, how bad is it taking one of those off?

The plastic door trim top piece. I have to remove the door interior first right? How does it come out? I think I remember someone saying it's held in by clips, anything I should know about weatherstripping thats with it?

I think that about covers it. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: forged 357
Transmission: 700r4, 2200-2400 stall, vette servo
Axle/Gears: stock pegleg 2.73 drum (temp)
Re: Who has taken their camaro apart?

Originally posted by StealthElephant
Yea I've got some questions before I head out to the junkyard.

How does the dash pad come off? It looks like just some screws up top and underneath is that right?

What is required to pull a door off?

Rocker emblems, know I know they have 2 pegs on the back? Is there a way to remove them w/o damaging them? Does the GFX have to come off?

Side molding is just held on by adhesive correct? Any good way to get it off?

The headlight mount piece, I'm guessing I'm going to have to take off the front bumper to get to it? Just bolts though? Speaking of the front bumper, how bad is it taking one of those off?

The plastic door trim top piece. I have to remove the door interior first right? How does it come out? I think I remember someone saying it's held in by clips, anything I should know about weatherstripping thats with it?

I think that about covers it. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Dash pad is about a dozen 7mm screws.

The door I'm not quite sure, but I'd imagine some kind of bolts- you'll have to remove the door panels to get the wiring out anyway. The trim molding at the top, you have to push in and pull up. Kinda tricky but you'll get it. Don't break those tabs, they're a PITA to fix.

Headlight mount thingy is easy on a firebird, four torx bits gets you inside. All straight forward. Should be also simple for a camaro.

Rocker emblems, not quite sure.

Side molding, adhesive but I would double check to see if there are clips on the back (while you're taking the door apart) just to be sure.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85z28,
Transmission: 700r4
door take fender off. Theres 3 13mil bolts on the top. And there 2 15 mil bolts on the inside of the cowl and one 13 mil on the out side. Yes fender has to come off.(wires hell just cut them) unless u need them Headlight mounting panel the bumper has to come off. U will see all the bolts.I have not got the emblems off with out messing them up9 Alot of them have double side tape. When u pull it off the color part stays on the car.The body side molding. Take a scarper or so thin piano wire. Just don't bent it. It has a metal strip in there if u pull on it will mess up.I think thats it hope u understand all this. O and if u are getting a door make sure the hinges are ok before u take it off.I learned the hard way.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

#5 is what I need, so the bumper has to come off to get that right? Makes sense.

I'm betting I'm going to have a problem finding the right front bumper I need w/o damage since most of our cars get in front end collisions but hopefully I'll get lucky.

Good info about taking the fender off. About the door hinge, I bought the hinge repair kit from TDS, so do I still need to worry about the hinge? My body guy is going to rebuild the hinges.

Any more info on the rocker emblems, I figured they would be a PITA to get off. I mean, the thing about the rocker emblems that seems to make it difficult is the fact that pegs get in the way when ur trying to remove it without distorting it, I don't want to break the pegs, though I have no idea if the pegs actually serve any purpose other then alignment.

Token when you say "push in then pull up" are you talking about if you are facing the inside of the door? Any more detail about the tabs?

The dash, all the screws are assescible right?

My main thing is being able to remove all the parts w/o damaging them and not getting stuck and unable to figure out how something comes apart.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Hes talking about that hard black plastic part on the top of the door panel. With the window down kinda pull in on it and up at the same time.

If u are rebuilding the hinges it don't really matter. But I would still not get one thats really bad. Alot of times back in the 80's and 90's.Us body guys would bent them hinges up when they were just starting to go bad. By lifting the door up.

Yes bumper has to come off. I think 4 6mil inside the fender. And abunch on the top. And then so push in clips under the bumper.(save all the ones u get out with out breaking) Not hard to find a bumbers in a junk yard. I got mine for 25 bucks. And I had 3 to pick from.

Thats all them pegs are for on the emblems. I don't think u can get them off with out fing them up. And if u are trying to get them from a junk yard good luck. I have never seen a camaro in a yard with them on it still.Just get new ones. They will look better

the pash pad has 4 screws in the defrost vent(on the out side) and about 1 or 12 under the front of the pad
Old 04-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
dash removal

There are bolts in 2 locations that hold the dash on. The first is along the edge of the dash on the underside (the side closest to you). Then there are some (3 i believe) that are on the far side of the dash down in the defroster vent. Easiest way to get at these is just with a socket extension because they are on an angle and the dash would interfere with the ratchet if you didn't use the extension.

Hope this helps
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
The emblems have stamped steel speed nuts holding them on.

The side molding on '88-up cars use adhesive strips to hold them,the older cars' molding are held on by rivet suds.Mine were damaged so I just put the scraper in until I got a little up and pulled the rest off by hand,it didn't warp doing it that way.Maybe I got lucky.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
correct on the dash pad, bumper is a pita. attaches to the fenders, top, and underneath. as for the door, you need to get *at* the hinges.

When I am in a JY and I need to get something off, once in a while I find that beating it with a driveshaft works well. Used this method to get a stop sign off a bus, and didnt do any damage in the process.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 firebird s/e 83 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L 305ci 4b carb.....CFI
Transmission: TH200C....700R4
Originally posted by 305q_ta86
while I find that beating it with a driveshaft works well.
lol......driveshafts are the shizzle at bone yards
you ever need to beat on something to get it loose or break a window......theres always a good ol driveshaft layin around
Old 04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 305q_ta86
correct on the dash pad, bumper is a pita. attaches to the fenders, top, and underneath. as for the door, you need to get *at* the hinges.
I'm going to have to cut the top pin out though right? Would a recip saw work?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
probably. I saw a guy taking a Firebird door off a while and he had a saw with him, but I dont know if that's the best way or not..
Old 04-20-2005, 05:43 PM

there are 5 bolts holding the door+door hinge to the car. 3 13mm and 2 15mm i think. Take those out and the door can come off with the hinge attached. If your planning on putting another door on the car you should take the int panel off and disconnect all the wiring and properly label it for future reference, you can pull all the wires through the grommet into the car before you take off the door. Very easy.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

5 bolts, alright thats the good word, thnx again to everyone.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

6 bolts on the piller holding the door. 1 8 mil bolt 2 on the inside