Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

T/A 4th gen door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals
T/A 4th gen door speakers?

Has anyone successfully used the 4th gen T/A door panels with the speakers that they came with? I want to put a set of those panels from an '02 in my '85 T/A and would like to be able to use the speaker pods as well. Is there any cutting of the door that's needed?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
When I started to look into doing the conversion, I wanted to put speakers in the door... I don't like kick panels, and if I had put in the 4th gen dash like I had wanted to, that meant no speakers in the dash. I have power windows, the motor is located right there, so it wouldn't have been possible for me to install the door panels with speakers. Because of this, I decided not to do the 4th gen swap.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5
yes you can use them, it as simple as wiring them up....

as for the door panels, i am venturing into this adventure soon, and from what i have gathered you do have to cut the door a little to get the panels to sit correctly and not have a gap, but it is not hat much that you have to cut. and you also have to relocate teh door hanldles
Old 03-15-2005, 05:40 PM

Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals
Originally posted by white91formula
yes you can use them, it as simple as wiring them up....

as for the door panels, i am venturing into this adventure soon, and from what i have gathered you do have to cut the door a little to get the panels to sit correctly and not have a gap, but it is not hat much that you have to cut. and you also have to relocate teh door hanldles
I know I can use the speakers.

The question I had was if the speakers protrude from the panel so that I have to cut the door for a hole for the speakers to fit. That's what I was referring to when I asked about cutting the door.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
As much cutting as you have to do to get the panel to sit best, any cutting you might have to do to install speakers is nothing.

Get the panels put on and you'll soon realize that getting speakers to work is the least of your problems..

But to more specifically answer your question, if you get and install the speaker spacers used on the 4th gens, you should be fine.

Kevin D.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:22 PM

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5
Originally posted by super_kev
I know I can use the speakers.

The question I had was if the speakers protrude from the panel so that I have to cut the door for a hole for the speakers to fit. That's what I was referring to when I asked about cutting the door.

oooo ok i got what your saying now, you should have to cut too much if any, but yes use speaker spacers and you should be more then fine