Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"
Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics

Hey Guys, im painting my Z this spring and im trying to figure out a couple things first off its white and I plan on keeping it white but i want a brighter white so what are the brightest whites and what would flake in the white look like? also what color stipes would you guys recomend? i have super dark tint and black ZR1 rims on it, I was thinking a gun metal color with flake or what i really want to do is either a ghost checker flag or ghost american flag in the stripes with like a sivery pearl color. but how do you do qhost graphics? does anyone have a website for that type of this or even a pdf manual? i dont want the stripes to take over the car i like the clean look but i want you to double take once you notice theres something in the stripes, you knwo what i mean? also what should i look for in a paint gun? size options etc. hey if anyone has a pic of ghost flags that would help to, thanks in advance for you help!! - TOT
Old 03-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
GM arctic white is probably one of the brightest you'll find out there, (Probably what you've got ). There are as many shades of white, though, as any color, so look at a chip book, and determine what is right, (or white), for you.
Metal flake in white?? probably not...However, you will get away with a pearl suspended in a mid-coat of clear, with white base.... One of my guys did this with his brother's 2nd gen, very subtle and tasteful.
Your everyday Joe wouldn't even notice, you know when someone who appreciates a nice paintjob comes along though, cause it catches their eye!!! And that's what's important.
There is some one on the boards who has a tasteful set of ghost flames. He actually took photos in a hockey rink, someone else may know the member...
Guns will vary as well, 1.8 to 2.0 tip with primer... 1.3 to 1.4 for basecoat. 1.4 or 1.6, clear.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 AM

thanks for the info!! Ya the pearl touch in the clear is what im looking for something very subtle thank most dont see but looks awesome in the right light. thats the same thing i want to do with the flag, barley noticable unless you really look, another question for you guys, what type of paint would you recomend, im pretty set on base coat/ clear coat and was going to use PPG, would this be good for a novice painter? i dont care how long it takes me im going to do the best damn job i can even if i have to sand it down and start over!!! thanks again for the info! TOT

Last edited by Tricked-Out-Toy; 03-15-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
not a third but its the graphic i like, gohst checkers in two stripes very hot looking

jeff
Attached Thumbnails Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics-c-documents-settings-jeff  
Old 03-17-2005, 06:57 AM

thats exactly what im talkin about!!! except i want it to loook like its waving, i wanna put that in the stripes, does anyone have dimensions for the heritage stripes, i have a friend that owns a grafics shop and should be able to make me a template so i can spray the stripe then over lay the flag design and spray that. thanks for the help guys!

what is the general consensus on having stripes over the roof and completly down the front over the bumber and GFX. anyone have a pic of a white 91,92 with red stipes on the roof and or down the front?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:46 AM

let me know how you end up doing those ghost stripes. my car is all black, and i was looking at some chrome pearl ghost flames i liked on this bike pic. , the stripes would look cool too, so keep me posted please.

check this out!
Attached Thumbnails Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics-bhrsrv004-home_dir-spurdy-my  
Old 03-17-2005, 11:47 AM

this ones cool too
Attached Thumbnails Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics-bhrsrv004-home_dir-spurdy-my  
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM

ya thats nice, to do that would i paint the stripes first then over lay a pattern and paint that with like a pearl white do like one coat and then clear it?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:33 PM

First things first... always, ALWAYS, PAINT the car first.
Paint it, clear it, wetsand the entire area to have graphics, (or the entire car...) layout the graphics, paint them, then re-clear, as needed.(some like to have no edge to show the graphics, this will require additional wetsanding and clear)
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Here's mine. I wish they were a bit darker, they're almost a bit "too ghost".
Attached Thumbnails Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics-dsc00818.jpg  
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Attached Thumbnails Paint Guns And Ghost Graphics-dsc00819.jpg  
Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 AM

paint it and clear, then used 1/4 inch blue design tape to mask out outline of the design and then cover up any paint that youdont want sprayed on. scuff up the clear on the area that you are going to spray the pearl on (inside the flames) and then put your pearl , or whatever you want to use in w/ your clear coat and just spray over area once or twice. after 24 hours you can un tape it carefully and buff the entire piece.

before you un tape it, make sure you have the right amount of pearl showing. some people like to do the pearl mixed with clear , and then a plain clear coat over the top of that.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:58 AM

kevinG, your telling me that i should paint the whole car with base coat AND clear it? cant i just paint the base then scuff the base and overlay the flag in pearl? also is anyone here good with photo shop that can take one of the white 91s on this board with the red stripes and throw in a waving checker flag and american flag ghost.

86irocboss, im some what of a novice, so what does mixxing clear with the pearl do? i would think it would make it more see through, right giving it more of a "ghost" look?

thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:26 AM

Your ghost paint is going to be in the clear coat a lot of the time. Paint the whole car and clear it like that other guy told ya and then tape off your design that you want to be ghost. mix some clear coat and put it in your gun. Get out the pearl color you want and read the directions. I usually put about 2 teaspoons of the pearl color into the mixture of clearcoat thats in your gun. mix it up and start spraying. When your done. you can either buff it out and leave it like that if there is enough pearl. paint another coat if there is not enough. or put a coat of plain clear coat over the top with no pearl in it if there is too much color to kind of ghost it more. then buff the whole car and it should be looking good. you will see the ghost effect in the light, and from different angles, and sometimes it will look like the solid base color of your car. Doing it in the clear is a good way to do ghost. the pic i posted had a little aluminum/white pearl painted in it. It all just depends on how much you want the design to show. after your first coat of clear/pearl mix you will know if it is dark enough or needs that plain clear coat on top of it. get it how you want it and then buff away. let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 AM

sweetness, i never would have thougth to mix the clear in with the pearl but now i feel dumb i didnt think that in the first place. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:53 AM

no problem, hope it turns out well
Old 03-18-2005, 07:53 PM

cant i just paint the base then scuff the base and overlay the flag in pearl?
The only prob you get into here, is some paints have a window to clearcoat.
It is also easier to repair if it is cleared, If you screw up on the graphics... all it takes is a little basecoat reducer, which used in moderation will not harm your clear. if you try to repair base over your base... you got a mess.

[QUOTE]kevinG, your telling me that i should paint the whole car with base coat AND clear it?[QUOTE]

yep, In my opinion that's the only way to do a nice job

Last edited by KEVIN G.; 03-18-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 AM

nicely done kevin