Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

steering column swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 trans am
Engine: carbed 305
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc posi
steering column swap

I need to put in a new steering columnin my 89 rs,previous owner smashed a big hole in the left side of the column.
I went to a u-pull it wrecking yard and got a tilt column,out of a 87 and it does not have the vats key.
Can I use this column? What parts do I need to swap from the old column to make it work?
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Car: 67 RS/SS 91 Z/28 vert
Engine: 305 TPI
My thoughts would be YES you can use that column

2 way's

1. remove ignition Lock and wires that lead underdash from old column and install in new column (for the VATS to work like it did.)

I dont se any reason that shouldnt work, however if I am wrong some please correct me !!!

2. you could also disable VATS by measuring the resistance across
your vats key and getting yourself a resistor (or more than 1 to get the right resistance) and wiring the resistor(s) to the harness that would normally go the the VATS ignition lock.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info RocVert,I new there had to be some way to use that column,I hate trying to do something unless I have some idea of what I need to do,Hate going at it blind and messing something up.
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by RocVert
My thoughts would be YES you can use that column

2 way's

1. remove ignition Lock and wires that lead underdash from old column and install in new column (for the VATS to work like it did.)

I dont se any reason that shouldnt work, however if I am wrong some please correct me !!!

2. you could also disable VATS by measuring the resistance across
your vats key and getting yourself a resistor (or more than 1 to get the right resistance) and wiring the resistor(s) to the harness that would normally go the the VATS ignition lock.
Number 1 is what I would like to do,I was wanting to here from somebody that has done it,looks easy enough,I did not want to tear into the column and find out that the lock cylinders were not interchangable or something,you know they always have to make things more difficult than they have to be.
Number 2 would be easy also,the wires are hanging down for the vats,easy access.
I will try 1 first to see how it goes,if not #2 will be easy,I would just have to get a regular key made for it,no key from wrecking yard
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 PM

I was right,the lock cylinder is not the same,I cant get the vats cylinder to fit into the older style column,ofcourse now it's dark outside,and no garage
I can't figure out how to take the lock cylinder apart to change the parts so that it will work.it is the very ouside part of the cylinder were you put the key in,it's to big around and wont go in the hole.
I guess I will just have to go get a key mad for the old locking cylinder and bypass the vats,even though I'am not even sure it's working,when I took the vats lock cylinder out of the old column 1 of the wires was not hooked up to the cylinder.
I new there would be problems,there always are
Bob
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 AM

sorry to hear that, I guess we all have that info for future reference now sucky day for you though !

I cant believe they would machine the column different for the 2 different locks however it sounds as though they did.

you can buy the standard ingintion locks cheap at a parts store
instead of reusing the old one, I thought I sen em for like 12-15 bucks (with keys)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:47 AM

oh yea the vats, if ya didnt allready know
just measure the resistance accross your vats key with a multi meter (in OHMS) and go to Radio Shack (or take the key to Radio Shack and have them do it) and get some resistors you might need more than 1 resistor to get the right resistance and install them inline at the plug underdash.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 AM

Got it done,just went and got a new locking cylinder with keys from a locksmith,hooked it all up and the car fired right up,the VATS system must not be working,I had that feeling when I took the locking cylinder out of my old column and 1 of the VATS wires was not hooked up to the locking cylinder.
Now I need to get a new steering wheel,I hate the stock wheels.
Bob
Old 03-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Locking cylinders

Here is a pic of both of the locking cylinders,Vats on the left,the reason they are differant is the VATS cylinder has the contacts in it to read the key,so they had to make it wider at the top to get The contacts in it,the rest of the locking cylinder is identical.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails steering column swap-c-documents-settings-bob  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 SS
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi
is there any brandnew columns that bolt into our cars? Like show peice columns