Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

replacing dash lights on 91 z

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing dash lights on 91 z

hello..quick question, i have a 1991 z28 and the only dash light that works is my tach. i need to install new ones? can anyone help me out as to how to do this? thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
first make sure that there is no fuses blown in the fuse panel. if not then your gonna have to start removing parts of the dash to get the cluster out. start by removing the lower dash panel that hides all the wiring and stuff under the column, then you will need to remove the trim around the gauge cluster. once that is off you will see the little screws that will need to be removed in order to get the cluster out. there will be 2 plugs on the back side of the cluster that must be unplugged to get it out. Once the cluster is out, you can then see the bulbs on the back side of the cluster. Now for the difficult part. The bulbs(194's) are soldered into the bulb sockets and cannot be removed without damage. Your gonna have to try and find replacment bulbs that have the bulb sockets already built into it. You can try the dealer or put a post here in the classifieds. Or, if you are really lucky, you can venture to your local boneyard and look for a third OR forth gen that has a cluster in it and grab a few out of there.the 4th gens are more available now so try for them first. Oh and you may find that removing the trim is a PITA with the huge stock wheel. It WILL come out. If you feel that you cant get it out with bending it (DONT BEND IT IT WILL BREAK) try loosening the 2 nuts that hold the colum up in place and tilt the wheel as low as it will go.

PS, I know your gonna get to the headlight **** and ask how to get it off....... you have to push the button in on the bottom of the headlight switch which is tucked inside the dash just behind the rod. use a stick or something. the button will hjave a small spring on it. Push it in and wiggle the **** off. your healights WILL turn on and you will not be albe ot turn them off once the rod is out so you can either listen to that dumb buzzer sound or dissconnect your battery(option 2 is recommended). hope this helps
Old 03-18-2005, 01:33 AM

hey thanks for the help..i havent been on here for awhile, but today i installed the dash lights. i was able to buy the 194s at an auto parts store. everything went well, just wanted to thank you for your help
Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
how did you get the old bulbs out? mine where soldered to the socket abd made for a little PITA to remove. Plus I had to bend the contacts on the new bulb so they made contact with the board when the socket was turned back in place
Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BOTTLEDZr28
how did you get the old bulbs out? mine where soldered to the socket abd made for a little PITA to remove. Plus I had to bend the contacts on the new bulb so they made contact with the board when the socket was turned back in place [/QUOTE

It was pretty simple on mine, i took out old 194s and replaced with new ones..they just twisted out and the new ones plugged right in.

thanks again