Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

89TA .. ttops leak.. surprise surprise.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: T56
89TA .. ttops leak.. surprise surprise.. need help

t-tops are leaking.. seals look like they aren't bad.. but dont have comparison.. want to find out exactly where leak is coming from b4 i go buying stuff..

on pass side, will leak on to back seat.. somehow makes it way to the plastic over the rear seats.. comes through a couple of the holes in sub-roof.. anyway..

i tried to see where it is coming from but im at a loss..
anyone have an idea how i can see where it is leaking.. from inside the garage.. since its winter here? once i find out the problem.. i can try the fixes mention all over the board..

also.. if you take ttop out.. on the I part of the roof.. on either side there is a metal part that screws down .. also i suspect siliconed.. is that part replacable itself? mine is full of surface rust..
thanks..
Old 02-20-2005, 09:46 PM

Car: 91RS_92Z28
Engine: 5.0_5.7
Transmission: WCT5_WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08_3.42
Duct tape, in a pinch it works.
Is all the rubber seated corectly? I had a leak caused by the b-pillar rubber being folded a bit inward.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 LT1
wil check for seals folding.. really dont have anythign to work with .. $500cdn for new seals and i don't have any ref pics to know what to look for..
Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Well I had the same problem.. But it turned out that when water came down onto that ceiling panel, it's was not coming from the t-tops. I checked it out when I replaced my seals.. and did some tests. I also found out that the water actually was coming in between two welded panels above the rear hatch bolts. Water was getting in from there. I also found that test out when I covered that area during a hard rain storm. and left the t-tops exposed to the rain. and the water stopped coming in. Fortunaltly I found the problem before I re-painted the car, and fixed it prior to painting. The T-bar piece you are talking about has 6 screws holding it down, the outer 4 are under the seals. the seals are attached to that bar with glue. If you try and remove it there is a very good chance you will tear the seals. All I can recommend you do about the surface rust there is what I did.. sand it out as best as you can with sand paper.. treat it, and spray paint it with some good primer and paint. I did that it it held up for several years before I re-did the whole car. Replacing my seals was a good experience, I learned lots about these seals where they can leak, and how to fix it. I'm happy to say mine don't leak at all. Oh, going back to the T-Bar part, yes that part can be replaced. The dealer still has them. I debated on either sand blasting mine, or replacing it.. I decided to just fix it. the rust was not as bad as it looked.

Last edited by FastElectrics; 02-20-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
I have been through this a couple of times and found that "liquid butyl" is the best sealant. It never dries and its messy as hell so you have to be careful when putting it on but all the leaks I have had were from the water getting under the seals between the body and rubber not the glass. I also had problems with the hatch hinges leaking and put some under each hinge and never had a problem again. Liquid butyl is industrial caulking sealer stuff thats cheap and can be bought at most industrial builders suppliers. I dont think Home Depot carries it but I'm not sure about Lowes. I find silicone only works for a while and then the leaks start back up again.