Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

another finished 4th gen dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: lt1 intaked 355 makin 277 on 25 psi of fuel pressure and stock timing :)
Transmission: A4 stock... that moved a mobile dyno a foot shifting into 2nd :)
another finished 4th gen dash

ok mine is in minus the heater controls.... but here are 3 pics sorry took them with cell phone......
Attached Thumbnails another finished 4th gen dash-dash.jpg  
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Engine: lt1 intaked 355 makin 277 on 25 psi of fuel pressure and stock timing :)
Attached Thumbnails another finished 4th gen dash-dash2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 PM

Attached Thumbnails another finished 4th gen dash-dash3.jpg  
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro RS/SS
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: 4L60E Transgo shift kit, 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen Rear 3:42
looks good!!! keep us posted when you get it all done bro. i bet its going to looks sweet. how long did it take you to do all that?:rockon:
Old 01-06-2005, 11:39 PM

honestly ................ to have the old dash out.... install the heater core.... and trial fit/trimmings..... 2-3 hours......... then stopped after that.... went home....( did it at work after i had worked on other cars all day)........then i got it set in there the way i wanted it and went to work on the lights.... that was the hardest part... most of the wiring on the site is for a camaro..... trans am's are diff..... and i had to kinda go at it blind.... plus i had the factory digital dash..... and the wiring was alittle diff...... after the rest of the week working on the headlights.... 2-3 hours a night... i had the cluster done in like 30 mins after i had all the wiring figured out...... so it took me bout a week so far.... still triming the crash pad to get it to sit flush..... but not hard at all if u wanna do this let me know and i will help out as much as i can......i would do this agian if i got another 3rd gen...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Car: 86 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
looks good you did a nice job,this is something I want to do next spring or summer if I can find a dash for cheap also I wanna do the center console. How hard was wiring up the speedo? thats basically the only thing Im worried about, I know you need some kind of box and other stuff Ill have to read more into it before i do it.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:10 AM

u should need a dakota digital box for the speedo and the tach.... so u will need i think 2 boxes..... and if u are lookin for the stuff... contact ron at www.regalperformance.com. he is a really nice guys and i think he will ship anywhere..... i am about to go back and get some a-pillers and seats.....he is local for me so....as far as the speedo/cluster... i did it wire by wire.... looked at the 4rd gen pinout... and the 4th gen pin out and matched them up function for function...... easy..... got it all right the 1st time and did it in 30 mins...... i had 2 get a dakota digi box for the tach the signals are diff on the 4th gen cluster than the 3rd.... th gen gets the tach signal from the ecm not the dizzy so its a diff wave pattern or some thing the dude at gm told me but i couldnt hear that well had shop tools going off at the time.... but i would suggest this to anyone.....
Old 01-08-2005, 02:25 AM

Car: 02 Echo/91 trans am
Engine: 1.5/6.7
Transmission: a4
Wow..thats really different..did all of the bolt holes line up and everything?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 PM

no i had 2 drill 2 new ones in the middle... but the outer ones did... the one on the drivers side needs to be shimmed..... but thats it...... i like it so much better and its alot cheaper than buying a 4th gen
Old 01-08-2005, 09:27 PM

Car: 02 Echo/91 trans am
Engine: 1.5/6.7
Transmission: a4
how much did it cost ya?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
LT1 4th gens did not have a different signal feeding the speedometer or tach, if your going to post info, make sure its year / vehicle specific, there are no adapters needed between a 3rd gen electric output speed signal and a 4th gen cluster, nor the tach, a LS1 has a different tach signal.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:52 AM

if the tach is the same then tell me why mine is moving all over the place it does move with rpm... and its a v8 tach 155 speedo which isnt ever put into a v6 car.... so if it is all the same please do tell...been in contact with many chevy/pontiac dealerships aroung dallas... i happen to work at a dealership so i know how to get information... the signal to the tach comes from the coil... and on a 4th gen it comes from the ecm.there is a web site that has the pin out of the 95 trans am and if u look at it it has a tach signal that goes in and out... there for the signal comes from the coil to the ecm then from the ecm to the tach...try callin a chevy/pontiac dealership and asking them.....they will tell u the same thing......also if u look on the website for dakota digital.... and look up the pdf or install instructions u will see that there is a diff signal one from a coil and one from an ecm showing diff voltage/signal ref.... so all i know mine does not work... all of yall state it will..... well mine is from a 95 trans am... and if u have any other reason why it doesnt work then please post.... ohh btw not hooked up to the wrong wire.... trust me i know what i am doing.... and know my way around cars and as far as the elec speedo thing mine does work.... i know some havent.... 3rd gens use the 2000 pulse and the 4ths use the 4000 so there is an adapter needed on some cars some came with the factory buffer.....
Old 01-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 86IROCTHD
if the tach is the same then tell me why mine is moving all over the place it does move with rpm... and its a v8 tach 155 speedo which isnt ever put into a v6 car.... so if it is all the same please do tell...been in contact with many chevy/pontiac dealerships aroung dallas... i happen to work at a dealership so i know how to get information... the signal to the tach comes from the coil... and on a 4th gen it comes from the ecm.there is a web site that has the pin out of the 95 trans am and if u look at it it has a tach signal that goes in and out... there for the signal comes from the coil to the ecm then from the ecm to the tach...try callin a chevy/pontiac dealership and asking them.....they will tell u the same thing......also if u look on the website for dakota digital.... and look up the pdf or install instructions u will see that there is a diff signal one from a coil and one from an ecm showing diff voltage/signal ref.... so all i know mine does not work... all of yall state it will..... well mine is from a 95 trans am... and if u have any other reason why it doesnt work then please post.... ohh btw not hooked up to the wrong wire.... trust me i know what i am doing.... and know my way around cars and as far as the elec speedo thing mine does work.... i know some havent.... 3rd gens use the 2000 pulse and the 4ths use the 4000 so there is an adapter needed on some cars some came with the factory buffer.....

Actually your still wrong, and if you arent i want you to come here to tampa and yell at two LT1 swapped thirdgens i have here, no "interfaces" between the computer and gauges, yell at em till your blue in the face tell them they cant work, course after your done i'll hit the key and they'll still be accurate.

Now for me to get your info straight for you on thirdgens.

The stock TPI, V6 and TBI gauge all uses a 4000 pulse / mile input just like a 4th gen cluster. A TPI and V6 use the signal straight from the VSS and then into the ecm, from there it outputs the 4000 pulse / mi signal, a tbi car the vss feeds the buffer box, it then feeds a 2000 pulse / mi signal to the ecm and a 4000 p/mi to the gauges.

Now your speedometer setup *may* be slightly different being an 88 and im mainly referring to 90-92, but the tach, you've got a bad cluster or some other wiring problem.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:47 PM

my speedo works so lets drop that.... i am talkin about the tach now... nuthing else.... so are they/u using a 4th gen dash in there lt1 engine swapped car? if so the signal FOR the tach is coming from the ecm.....there is a STANDARD tach signal and a HIGH VOLTAGE output signal....if i am reading my info right and if the DEALER is right....the ignition system tach signal is on the negative side of the coil 3rd gen..... then there is a standard and a low voltage out put to diff tachs... and if u say yours are working then come down here and fix mine...... my tach wire is correct... hook up an aftermarket tach to the wire and damn it works.... hook it back up to the 4th gen and it doesnt work.... ohh have also swapped the cluster out and even had my cluster sent out for repairs and ya know what my cluster is good...... so please come down here and fix mine since u know what u are talkin about.......and u are basing your info off a 90-92 cars.... well those are SD cars and i belive are alittle diff than the maf cars so untill u can tell me how to fix mine or show me i have a wiring problem please just give comments on the looks of the dash and nuthing else...... thanks

Last edited by 86IROCTHD; 01-09-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 86IROCTHD
are they using a 4th gen dash in there lt1 engine swapped car? if so the signal is coming from the ecm.....there is a STANDARD tach signal and a HIGH VOLTAGE output signal....if i am reading my info right....the ignition system tach signal is on the negative side of the coil..... then there is a standard and a high out put to diff tachs... and if u say yours are working then come down here and fix mine...... my tach wire is correct... hook up an aftermarket tach to the wire and damn it works.... hook it back up to the 4th gen and it doesnt work.... ohh have also swapped the cluster out and even had my cluster sent out for repairs and ya know what my cluster is good...... so please come down here and fix mine since u know what u are talkin about.......and u are basing your info off a 90-92 cars.... well those are SD cars and i belive are alittle diff than the maf cars so stop your griping and yellin and stay out of my thread unless u know for a fact that i have done something wrong with my wiring.... or unless u can prove me wrong.... thanks come agian

I did prove you wrong, read the posts, you posted a general statement about 4th gen signals being different than thirdgen.

They are factory cluster 90-92 cars with the signal straight from the LT1 PCM, you've got another problem somewhere else, and an earlier firebird *should* still be getting the same 4000 pulse / mile signal from the buffer box as a 90-92 TBI camaro or firebird. Your issue is with the install or parts, unless somehow a 4th gen is further modifying the signal within the BCM after its fed from the pcm.