Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

half a paint job??? why???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z Z-28, BLUE & SILVER
Engine: 5.7L & 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: FACTORY
half a paint job??? why???

im just curious??? has anyone ever noticed on these car shows on tv now, ex... rides, pimp my ride, american hotrod, overhaulin', etc... that they only paint the outside of the car? they also blast it and prime it.... is this routine or to save paint? on 'trucks', copper head was the only vehicle i ever saw fully painted (and that yellow iroc on this site..).... my car is gutted and we be blasted and painted entirely inside and out!!!! someone fill me in... do you paint your entire ride or just tape it and do the outside? and also, if the inside is just left primed, how long can it stay like that? thanks :lala: :lala:
Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
I know most of the cars I've seen on Overhualin have the insides painted too. and what do you mean by "they also blast it and prime it.... is this routine or to save paint?" On the older cars they strip it down to metal to see if it needs any major body work, fix any dents and dings, then paint it. whats so different about that?

also, you should never leave a car in just primer, at least seal it to keep it from absorbing moisture.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:35 PM

thats what i said, they blast em' then prime em'..... after that, they only paint the outside.....
Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 PM

what i meant by saying "routine to save paint' was that is this standard to only paint the outside? cause they tape the car up and only spray the outside.... and if they do paint the inside they should atleast show it sometimes.... so people like me wont get confused....
Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 55 Chevy (the only one that counts), 80 TA, 85 TA, 87 FB
Engine: BBC, BBC, SBC, none
Transmission: M-22, TH400, TH350, none
They sometimes powedercoat or use spray-in bedliner to protect inside and underneath the car. I used spray-in bedliner on my interior metal/underside/wheel wells. It is easy to clean, resists rust/scuffs, and mimics teh semi-gloss fatroy look great---plus you can color match or paint it boby color if you wish.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Car: 91RS_92Z28
Engine: 5.0_5.7
Transmission: WCT5_WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08_3.42
MTV's Pimp My Ride puts out the worst paint jobs I have seen on any of these new "remodel my car" type shows. Those guys are hacks.
Overhaulin is the best by far, minus the stupid host. Not the girl,

Time is money when it comes to TV production, they can't pay the entire crew to watch paint dry.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: Built TH-700 R4 (Vilgilante 2800)
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ PBR's
Are you talking about door jams and places like that or like the entire car? To paint the entire car is kinda pointless if you are gonna be putting carpet over it. If I miss understood you I apolgize in advance.

Kevin
Old 12-14-2004, 03:01 PM

yeah, they never show door jams or anything... just tape the car up and paint it... but they guy above explained pretty good, he uses a powder coat, etc on the interior....
Old 12-14-2004, 03:16 PM

Car: 91 Formula, 95 GT
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T5, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, ???
How do you powder coat a car?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
You don't...

MTV's Pimp My Ride puts out the worst paint jobs I have seen on any of these new "remodel my car" type shows. Those guys are hacks.
Ditto!!! I just watched one last night that showed the NEED FOR SPEED car that they hacked!!! Fiberglassed a ram air style scoop to a metal hood...And last week I watched them rivet steel in rusted areas, and duraglass over it... I'd really like to see theirs after a year or so!!!!
I really like the image that Chip Foose is making for us car guys, but I'm not so sure they don't cut corners either... maybe I'm wrong. A week's a short time to put a complete Overhaul together!! I guess that's why we keep watchin'.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 PM

Car: 89 Camaro/ 02 GC Overland
Engine: 355 V8/ 4.7 HO V8
Transmission: T5/ 545RE
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73/ Dana 30, Dana 44 3.73
the horid (sp) "creations" from pimp my ride are rediculous. saw em do a acura once that started grey but was painted blue. now if you notic you rarly see the door jambs and other areas of these cars. i caught a quick glimps of this one tho. it appears as tho they dont paint them as these door jambs where rattle canned black. so half assed. plus they put thos dumb lookin flame and graphic stickers on the cars. i think overhaulin is def the best. they do real thourogh paint jobs and actually paint on the graphics unlike the hacks a west coast customs. just my opinion tho. chip foose is the man
Old 12-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: Custom Forged 355
Axle/Gears: 9" 4:11's Detroit Locker
dude, pimp my ride is worse then macco, american hot rod is top of the line and so is overhaulin, top of the line resto, no corners cut....pimp my ride never does jambs or anything that cannot be sprayed from the outside, its garbage, i donno how much worse they can do bod work, as a body man myself, if my iroc got on there b4 i painted it this weekend, i would not let them take it....**** them.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:56 PM

Car: 89 Camaro/ 02 GC Overland
Engine: 355 V8/ 4.7 HO V8
Transmission: T5/ 545RE
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73/ Dana 30, Dana 44 3.73
i work at a small colison repair shop and ive seen rushed paint jobs turn out better than pimp my ride. the part i dont get is that the people on that show are still excited when they take their car. maybe they r umb or somethin but if i saw the first few cars come outa there the way they did i wouldnt let em anywhere near my iroc
Old 12-14-2004, 06:01 PM

Car: 91RS_92Z28
Engine: 5.0_5.7
Transmission: WCT5_WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08_3.42
I would venture to say that most of these build shows, esp Monster house/garage are not really done in a week.

Producers and editors lie all the time and if you watch carefully you'll see all sorts of continuity mistakes.
Plus parts take time to source and deliver.
I would like to order all my parts and have them arrive within a week time and then fit properly the first time!
As for west coast customs, I believe they can build those cars in a few hours. Xhibit is an idiot and never funny. Mad mike isn't that mad either.
MTV sucks at whatever it does. sorry for the rant
On the plus side, this is all good for the aftermarket industry, untill we start paying for their new marketing.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 PM

overhaulin is the best! they actually paint graphics and not use water graphics! they also cut out rusted pieces.... on PMY, that guys VW beetle was rusted as hell and they bondo'd it and painted it!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:42 PM

but it is good entertainment and ideas! that drive soft comp is tight!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
The cars done on MTV's pimp my ride do suck ***. But that doesn't mean the West Coast Customs shop sucks. I'm not quite sure why they subject themselves to that kind of bad publicity. If any of you guys have seen some of their real projects, they're not done by the same guys on the show. and they're actually really freaking nice. I saw pictures floating around the net (i have them saved but it's obviously not thirdgen and not relevent to this board) of a new chrysler 300c. Chopped off top, slammed with real nice suede looking interior. Very nice car. Not the crap they put out on the show.

And most cars painted they don't paint under the carpet. Hell a lot of them don't even paint the engine bay.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

you guys can't be serious?

a real foose creation is a complete paintjob but overhaulin.... i quick rush that would barely pass inspection. american hotrod is a joke in it's own right, how boyd lets some of those guys work for him is beyond me although most is for show.

mtv's pimp my ride is a cheap, yet effective way to get the general idea out. anyone who takes these shows seriously has a lot to learn.

overhaulin alone has so many problems with people trying to file suit for their paint/engines/etc. being of poor quality. they make entertaining episodes no doubt but they are hardly a bench mark of the purist form. a real show paintjob would take weeks alone.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Banned

if ya wanna be a playa, but ya wheels aint fly.

ya gotta hit us up, to get a pimped out ride.

i cant even watch these car remodeling shows anymore...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Just an FYI:
Pimp my ride is staged. Even if it wasn't, someone tossed all that stuff into my car that I can't afford to fix up then I'd be excited too, even if the paint was poor quality.

And "half a paint job??? why???". Take a wild guess. Maybe it's becuase doing a whole car properly takes ALOT more effort. Pulling apart and engine bay and remove trim in the doors then masking it off to make sure no overspray ruins an interior is very time consuming, especially for something most people won't even see.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by crazyn8
paint it boby color if you wish.
So what color is Bobby!? Sorry just playing with ya!

As far as leaving the car in primer. Spies Hecker has come out with a primer that can be left on a car without painting over...Supposed to be indefinately. But I would never on princible trust a primer to work and protect like paint! Its also tintable! Great for car s that are going to be driven as the base primer. You get a chip and the primer matches the paint!

Its also known that for a bit of time you can leave a car in epoxy primer with some moisture resistance. Just not for a year or 2. You have to let the coat dry and not scuff or sand it! If you break the surface of the primer then the moisure will soak in!
Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 91formulaSS
Sprays on like paint...they have a big booth like a paint booth, but it heats up to much higher temps!

I don't even watch Pimp my ride anymore...its such a disgrace. I get so ill, yelling at those idiots on the TV!

Overhaulin has its moments. I just love to see Chip Foose create. Stuff always looks good on the TV, but you get up close and watch out, I'm sure!!

Not saying I would not mind having a project done by overhaulin. We need to get them to do 3rd gen. I'm sure I can locate a rolling chasis that can be left outside for the stealing! Let them do alot of the work. Have a little bird whisper (aka acomplise) to them what Suspension, brakes, and big block engine base I was so dying to install! Have a concept wheel design I was saving for...hehehe...

Then I will go behind and tweak what they did not. Cut and buff the paint...Build the motor right...blah, blah...

:lala:
Old 12-16-2004, 11:38 AM

Hell yeah! as popular as 3rd gen are, no TV show ever does one!!!!! we all should start mailing letters to all of em'!!! im sure once they get over 1 million peices of mail someone will take notice!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by redraif
Sprays on like paint...they have a big booth like a paint booth, but it heats up to much higher temps!
Have you seen this done?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:32 PM

seen what?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Sadly no, was described to me. I think I have seen shows though where the powder coat was sprayed on with a gun, much like a paint gun.

I wass going to get a chance to work with a real powder coating booth, but it did not work out. The place that was going to build the booth at their training center in ATL moved to TX. Joe used to work there. They described it as a drive thru booth that worked like an oven a car could fit in. They wanted it to offer to clients (body shops) for car and truck frames.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by WILL85IROC
Hell yeah! as popular as 3rd gen are, no TV show ever does one!!!!! we all should start mailing letters to all of em'!!! im sure once they get over 1 million peices of mail someone will take notice!!!!!!
i submitted my car awhile back for second season two and here is the criteria necessary for overhaulin...

Information MUST be sent via mail.
The "mark" cannot know about this, DO NOT TELL ANYONE. o Car MUST be in running condition.
Send three (3) pictures of the following and provide details of each picture: - Interior of car - Exterior of car - Full picture of car - The "mark" - Accomplice (applications without pictures will not be accepted)
If you wish to send video of the mark, it MUST be in VHS, DVD or DV format.
Do NOT send originals/one-of-a-kind photos, we cannot undertake returning them. (all pictures/video become property of BCII)
NO applications, applicants or submissions will be accepted in person.

Please send completed application and non-returnable photos to:
BCII/Overhaulin'
Story Ideas Ref#26-0085544
4717 Laurel Canyon Blvd, Suite 106
Valley Village,
CA 91607
Old 12-16-2004, 01:20 PM

ok, we'll get a million 3rd gen owners to mail a letter to that address and make them (producers...) go find one to do!!?? kool???
Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
so people want their cars done on a show that as the end concensus was saying was a "half-assed" job? Eh, all good i guess.

I'm not going to say that any of the shows are "***" or "awesome" as some had mentioned earlier, they're entertainment. do you really think boyd was wanting a tv show? doubtful, but, when he was approached, and saw a $$ sign, suddenly he decided that doing one wouldn't be all bad. The same is probably true for the pimp my ride crowd, i don't see most companies wanting to do restorations on a 1989 Honda accord, when you've got a ferrari 360 sitting on the lift.

Another pimp my ride problem. The reason the cars on the show look like hell coming in, isn't because they're old cars, there are plenty of unrestored old cars out there in good or atleast fair condition. The cars on the show are in bad shape because they have drivers who can't drive, and owners who have neglected them. The same thing will most likely happen to the vehicles they're shipping out. If you had a fully restored 67 camaro that you just finished doing, or having done by west coast, you've dumped 80-100 grand into the vehicle. The car is then going to be placed in a garage (probably temp and humidity controlled) and taken care of, the car should look good for decades. The people on the show will park their car out side, drive it everyday, get into accidents, door dings, and probably have the super stereo equipment stolen in a matter of months. Would you be willing to spend thousands of dollars in shop time which could be better directed to doing another project on this person's vehicle? I highly doubt it.

As far overhaulin'. It would make sense that vehicle selection for the show has been done well prior to the show being taped. What most likely happens (hypothetically) they decide what car they're going to build. Chip makes a design based on the selection, research is done, parts are ordered, and you're basically ready to go, well prior to them taking possesion of the car. then for a week, you work day and night to get the car finished so you can deliever it to the customer. The only reason i think it is most likely done in a week, is that it's hard to put a customer off for a longer period of time w/o them having their car, and w/o them questioning it. I think the show is pretty well done, and they work their tails off to get things finished, while it isn't a 3 month project job, it'd be possible to pull off a decent looking, one of a kind, car in that amount of time. Not sure how much baking a paintjob will cut down on dry time, but it's a possibility, it would also allow the job to have a better "smoother" finish, so the "rushjob" would atleast be improved.

On the powdercoating subject, i'm a little shaky, but kinda ok. It works kinda like that ionic breeze machine that sharper image has. The poweder coat material is actually material, not paint. Powder coating involves the individual giving the frame a positive charge (or it might be negative) The powder will have an opposite charge, then the powder beign sprayed from the gun will be magnetically attracted to the metal. Problem i see w/ this on a vehicle, is it would be attracted to the entre vehicle, and not just one particular area, although, it'll only move so far coming from the gun, since you'll be holding the gun in the general area that you're going on to. However, powdercoatign a frame is another easy story, since it can be detached from the vehicle. The powdercoated pieces are then placed in an oven, maybe 400 degrees, and cooked until the surface hardens. Unlike paint, powdercoating is basically "indistructable" it won't chip off the frame, instead, it'll actually ding or dent w/ the frame...kinda neat.

End result, dont' watch these shows for a "how-to's" guide on restoring your car, look for entertainment, maybe to see cool ideas. But these really aren't "everday accounts from the shop" by any means.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Originally posted by 85f-bird
As far overhaulin'. It would make sense that vehicle selection for the show has been done well prior to the show being taped. What most likely happens (hypothetically) they decide what car they're going to build. Chip makes a design based on the selection, research is done, parts are ordered, and you're basically ready to go, well prior to them taking possesion of the car.
I think you pretty much nailed it. I'm sure they plan the episodes way out in advance and the design/concept is pretty much set by the time they actually grab the car and tape the show.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:19 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 HSR
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
When your watching pimp my ride notice when they give the car back that there is a blueish purple truck rasied up in the back ground. I seen it for like the first 6 or 7 shows. It was like that segment of the show was filmed very close together for that car to be there that long.

Also don't you have to pay for the stuff done during these shows? I mean come on whats keeping people from buying 200-300 hundred dollar cars and then getting 10k in cool stuff to sell or take out of the car when they get it back.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

absolutely nothing....the poeple who have these cars done couldn't afford the work done to these vehicles.....trust me,body work isn't cheap, and fabrication isn't cheap either.

My roommate had made the comment that he thinks they might pay the taxes on the vehicle after appraisal, but who knows how that's taken care of, except the people w/ the vehicles.

and remember, you still have to be selected for the show, not every 200 dollar crapper is going to be picked.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: Custom Forged 355
Axle/Gears: 9" 4:11's Detroit Locker
**** all that ****, im pimpin my own ride, now drivetrain and i layed down a sick paint job on it last week, got the interior jus gotta put it in, and the system has to be hooked up, thats it, to my liking and high quality stuff, not some pimp my ride screw my gfx into the body with sheetmetal screws and bondo it up type a deal, **** them.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Iunno if anyone has stated this already, but Chip Foose now has Charlie, Boyd Coddington's ex master painter. Charlie is about as hard a worker as they come (or so he was portrayed in american hotrod), which would explain the uber paint jobs on that show And why American Hotrod's not exactly up to par. Did you see the last episode where they raced their "rat rods"? The paintjob on those were pretty weak if you ask me....
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Just one comment towards Pimp my ride. These people obviously never gave a damn about their cars before. So if they turn into buckets of crap in a year I doubt they'll even notice. Besides I'm sure most of them get broken into and all the stereo stuff stolen within a month of them getting the car back.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by sellmanb
Did you see the last episode where they raced their "rat rods"? The paintjob on those were pretty weak if you ask me....
Well technically, a "Rat Rod" should not have a killer paint job. True 50's style hot rods (a.k.a. Rat Rods) typically didn't have nice paint.

Unlike the movie American Graffitti, most kids in those in days couldn't afford a nice paint job. They just focused on making their cars go fast.

We have a local club called the Burbank Choppers, who were also featured on episode of Rides. A few of the guys were good friends of mine while we were in college studying art/graphic design.

Anyway, they build true 50's era hot rods and don't care for the term Rat Rod. They have some very sweet cars. Some with George Barris style paint and some with just plain primer. In fact, the uncle of one of the members pretty much inspired the whole "black primer" look that has become popular among hot roders.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Berlinetta
Good to know Bret, thanks .

BTW, Why is it called "rat" rod ? I dont completely understand it. Thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 06:34 AM

i agree, i bet alot of em' get ripped off real quick! they only show where u live, your friends, what u do and explain everything they put in it... so yeah, their insurance goes up tripple then they get jacked by someone down the street!!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Good luck powdercoating a car.

A Frame, yes, You will never get paint on plastic to match powder.

You would have to remove ALL the seam sealer etc anyways. most of my powders bake on at 450* for 10-20min. Then Cure at 325* for 20min.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi

I could be wrong, but the way I was told, 'Rat Rod' basically means 'Poor Mans Hot Rod'... ie. the bad paint.

IMO, Rat Rosd kick *** though.. they are the true hotrods... all go, no show. I love the way a '32 ford looks in flat black or grey primer!! Just plain MEAN!!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 w/ about 7500 miles on rebuild
If i lived in Cali, and PMR wanted to take my car, thats fine by me.. just look at the damn electronics they put in the car, plus the interiors seem to look pretty nice (notice SEEM to) i could deal with a hack paint job for some of the goodies they put into the stereo system and such..
And i dont wanna hear "well, those subs they had on last week arent as good as mine".. big difference... FREE is always good. If i didn't like a damn thing they had in there, i can always tear it all down and sell it as official PMR interior/whatever.. or just sell the whole car and get another IROC, if the price would be right..
lol
Just sayin, free is always nice, unless u already put a crapload of time and energy into working on the body/paint and then WCC screwed it all up.. might still be worth it for the goodies tho.. lol

Rabbitt
Old 12-18-2004, 01:27 PM

Car: 1990 RS coupe
Engine: TBI 305.
Yes I would let pimp my ride take my car.
Then I would immidiately strip out all of the electronics minus the stereo and sell it My paint cant get much worse and the engine is on its last leg so come get my car please

So as said let them mess with your ride and then make a profit
the loop hole of course is if you have went through hell building up your car and just havnt gotten to the paint and then they want to take it............but you have to apply to PMR so they wont just show up Overhaulin is the one to worry about someone else applies for you so they might just show up and mess up all your hard work............lord I am long winded
Old 12-18-2004, 02:15 PM

Car: 1987 TA
Engine: 350 stock/twecked
Transmission: 700r4
I saw a pimp my ride show where they did not touch the guys car--i believe it was a 65 fairlane. the kid had the underside of the car sone--they probly saw that he was doing it right and did not want to f it up with there short cuts. the kid was going to auto motive school, so they gave him a brand new ford truck--later
Old 12-18-2004, 03:00 PM

You dont powdercoat the whole car. When completely stripped (frame off resto stripped), you powder coat the inside of car, frame, engine compartment, roll-cage, and underbody of the car. They have differnet types of powdercoat, from nice shiny (glossy paint-like luster) finnish to a dull, textured industrial-finnish (it is great for under body of the car). After it is cured by baking, you paint the exterior as normal. They do tape off teh exterior prior to spraying the powdercoating. Great thing about powdercoating is it resists chipping, scratches, and fading.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Actually, "Rat Rod" is taken from Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and his "Rat Fink" car designs and artwork from the 50's and 60's. Recently, people started describing old school hot rods as Rat Rods.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Iunno if anyone has stated this already, but Chip Foose now has Charlie, Boyd Coddington's ex master painter. Charlie is about as hard a worker as they come (or so he was portrayed in american hotrod), which would explain the uber paint jobs on that show And why American Hotrod's not exactly up to par. Did you see the last episode where they raced their "rat rods"? The paintjob on those were pretty weak if you ask me....
Chip used to work for Boyd...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by crazyn8
You dont powdercoat the whole car. When completely stripped (frame off resto stripped), you powder coat the inside of car, frame, engine compartment, roll-cage, and underbody of the car. They have differnet types of powdercoat, from nice shiny (glossy paint-like luster) finnish to a dull, textured industrial-finnish (it is great for under body of the car). After it is cured by baking, you paint the exterior as normal. They do tape off teh exterior prior to spraying the powdercoating. Great thing about powdercoating is it resists chipping, scratches, and fading.
And how do you do a frame off restoration on a thirdgen?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

you don't, you do a ground up.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:41 PM

And how do you do a frame off restoration on a thirdgen?

Depends on how badly rusted the car is....
Old 12-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 w/ about 7500 miles on rebuild
can u remove the subframes from a thirdgen? or, better, can u put sfc's on the car and then remove it as one piece?

Quick Reply: half a paint job??? why???