Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Firebird without hide away lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firebird without hide away lights

Hey guys I know you guys will say do a search blablabla, the fact is I still will not find what i'm looking for. I kinda want to do something similar to the one guy who took out his pop-ups and used plexiglass with aftermarket lights but in a more tasteful way. I'm looking for something more similar to the 2005 corvettes. Since my car is Maui Blue I would prolly want the lights to be either chrome, possibly blue or a greyish black inside the lights. obviously I wont be able to use the same shape as the vettes but i would like a similar look or the light. I just need some ideas from you guys as of what materials you would suggest, how much of the light i want to acutally use and how it will sit in the old spot. What size and type of lights should I use, etc.. I'm just really sick of my stupid headlights, the motors burnt out, they rub on the hood, i can neva get them alligned right, I'm just giving up on them I think unless i can land some motors for cheap. Also I was thinking of maybe making removable covers for the new lights that would still give the old stock look if i would like during the day. I also have a 85 TA front end sitting around, i might go and reshape that so its a lil more similar to the 91-92 front end up top where it meets the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails Firebird without hide away lights-vette05.jpg  

Last edited by maverick544; 11-09-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
What you're going to need is someone who's good with fiber glass, best bet. Remove all that old headlight hardware, get yourself measurements for the depth, heigh in rear of the new unit, etc. Make sure to take in the rake of hte unit also, find out how high it'll be going over a given period in time, which should give you the right angle. Get those dimensions to a friend, show him the new vette, and let him play around with the idea, having someone who can do design very well would help the process out too. I'd attach the plexi-glass directly to the new housing you're creating, you could make it removeable, however, if you do, you'll have some type of visual connection point, better to make this entire setup one unit, and worry about removing the rear to change bulbs, etc. Be sure to make the lights used adjustable, as you're going to need to move them so they focus on the correct location. And to keep things from looking "rigged" you'll probably wanna mold the lighting into the new fabricated fiberglass piece, (the way the vette is) that way you don't just have lights suspended in space. Good luck w/ it, really wouldn't be the most difficult thing to build and do, however, it won't be easy either, and to get a look that seems professional and custom, you'll have to spend a lot of man hours, and pay close attention to detail.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:47 PM

Car: '88 trans am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 355 TPI L98
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: eaton posi 3.73 gears
best bet is to try the fabrication forums... not my taste, i like the flippers but gl man show some pics when done or when started!!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Dont get me wrong i like the flippers too, but i'm just getting upset with them. Its just an idea right now.