Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Resto-Mod projects with different color?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Resto-Mod projects with different color?

I am attempting 2 new things that I've never done before.

#1: Ground up restoration

#2: Changing the car's color at the same time

Currently my car is a dark maroon... UGLY IMHO.

I am going to be painting the entire car GM Sunburt Orange Metallic.

I have seen a few resto's here on this board, but all were reusing the same colors that were originally there.

Anyone have any resto pics when changing the entire car's color? I am just curious to see what the pics looked like when "in progress"
Old 10-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you are doing a ground up restoration and color change it will look like hell until it is all together and painted.

The way I'd tackle it is to remove the fenders, clean and prep tem and paint the insides and up where the hood covers them. Paint the under side of the hood, firewall, inner fenders and front frame/radiator support.
Strip ALL of the interior out of it, dash, center console, carpet, seats, door panels all plastic panels, etc. Then paint the inside of the car & trunk area and the door frames (don't forget the under side of the hatch at the back). While you are there make new seals for all of the heat/AC ducting.
Remove everything from the outside of the car such as; ground effects, door handles, locks, mirrors, front/rear bumper covers, lights, front/side/rear, windshield molding.
Then put the fenders back on the car and mask off. At this point the car is going to look like hell but it will look great when done.
Do your sanding and priming and wet sand the primer smooth. Now you are ready to paint the car and front/rear bumper covers (you can put them on the car temp. for the application of the color so to ensure a uniform appearance of the metallic paint) paint the mirrors & ground effects at this time too Then clear coat (with the bumper covers off cause they are supposed to have flex agent in their primer and clear). and then clear everything else.
Reassemble the car and stand back and have a good look, without the vin or build tag, you won't be able to tell it wasn't that color from the factory.