Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen "automatic" center console in a 3rdgen, whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans Am
Engine: chevy 350
Transmission: 700R4
4th gen "automatic" center console in a 3rdgen, whos done it?

I know it's easier to use a manual center console but I can get an automatic one for practiacly free. My question is how much more difficult is it to install the automatic shifter, I know the shifter needs to be moved over a couple of inches to the side but does it need different a cable or major reajusting of the shifting cables for it to work? or all it takes is moving the shifter a couple of inches???

Please let me know, thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
do a search on it, cause it's on there. I think i actually have a post about it, maybe....hmmm, can't remember. I followed a different guidline on the site, but, in case you can't find it, i'll re-write it....hmm, this might work well as a tech article, i'll think about doing that later.

What you'll need:
Common hand tools, ratchets, 10mm sockets, etc.
Dremel
BFG (Big F*in Hammer)
Drill
Beer (brand up to you. but since i'm from st.louis, it's all about the bud)

Alright, when u remove ur old center console, you'll see that the shifter itself is mounted to a bracket, which raises the shifter roughly an inch above the transmission tunnel. That piece alone will interfeer w/ the automatic console, not allowing the shifter to sit properly, so, what you need to do is take a huge hammer to that bad boy, and knock the **** out of it. Do you're best to get that bracket down nearly flush w/ the tranny tunnel.

Now, although i said hammer it down a bunch, you also have to remember that this is a "custom" instalation, and how much it needs to be banged is up to you, so, you'll have to do a bunch of test fitting to make sure it's down as far as it needs to be.

After that's setup and properly hammered, get yourself a beer (it'll feel good) then move onto the next step.

This portion of the setup requires that you begin mocking up the console. remove the lights from underneith (shift indicator, you can put them back later) and you'll have to start removing material from around the shifter plate (on the back side. Dremel it w/ the contour of the plate itself, shoudln't be any big deal, then sand the edges once you've found the height you need to remove stuff to.

After all that's said and done, take the shifter, there will still be some areas that are to high to allow the console to sit flush (this might also depend on which console you're using, i'll explain that at the end however). There's a stop in the fron of the shifter which would seem to high, it could be cut, but i'd recommend cutting it at an angle so the actual stop is still there, you might have to remove all of it (which is what was done to mine, i could always pull mine and find another one and go for it, however, i haven't had any problems with it as of yet. On the other hand, you could always get urself a 4th gen auto shifter, same design, same demensions, however it's shorter (so the dimensions aren't quite the same) this migth solve some of your fitting troubles w/ trimming the actual shifter, might, but i didn't try it, didn't need to.

After getting that piece trimmed to shape, and the console top trimmed to proper shape, you'll drill some new holes in the plate you just hammered down, I can't give you a measurement on how far over the holes have to be drilled, that'll depend mostly on how you hammered down your plate, however, none of the new holes should interfeer w/ the old ones. The screws/bolts are more than strong enough to "cut" grooves into the 20 yearold steel, and you won't need to tap/dye the setup.

Your shifter cable should have enough slack in it, to relocate to the new position, (i had no problem getting that done) However, it will be somewhat tight, just gotta give it a little tug, it'll move enough for you. Then plug everything back in, and you should be done, close it up, and see if everything fits the way it's supposed to, if not, do more trimmer.

The key to thise swap is time, and test fitting. It really isn't all that time consuming, took me and my friend one night and the next afternoon to do it, but the results were more than worth it. This way i don't have to have a big ole' shifter hole for a manual tranny that i don't have.

Now , like i said, depending on which console you're getting things might be different. I did my trimming for a 01' Camaro console (the 4 cup holder one, looks soooooooo sweet, and it's all black) however, after i fitted everything together, it worked fine w/ my old dash setup. Later in the year i swapped to a 4th gen dash, however the dash was from a 96 bird (we actually had both at the same time, but i wanted the black interior, and later console. Neway, long story short, i went to the yards about 3 weeks ago now, was able to pick up another 4th gen dash, 4th gen door panels, 4th gen seats, and a correct 96 center console from a firebird to match up w/ my 96 dash, was a steal at 30 bux:hail: (especially since my dash that's in there right now was 160 from a different yard). So, i put the 96 console and seats in when i got back home (waiting on the door panels till christmas break and i can have some time) and guess what, it fits perfect.

The 96 center console, fits easier, and w/ more give than the 98+ one did, matches perfectly up to the 4th gne dash, and gives more tha enough room for everything, no modifications. So, if you've got a 93-97 firebird console, trimming might be easier, however, if you intend on swapping to a 98+ console you might have to go back and start hammering away again. The reason is the 98+ console dips lower towards the shifter plate for a more dramatic curve, which looks beautiful, but as a result, loses a lot of the room that would have been left by havign the slightly higher earlier 4th gen console.

Best of luck, you can PM me if you have any problems as you walk through this, and i'll help you out.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 AM

Car: Trans Am
Engine: chevy 350
shifter i'm gonna use is coming out of a 95 "single cup holder"

SO hopefully it ewill be an easier job.

thanks a bunch for th einfo man you gave me everything i needed to know.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
i am currently attempting to do somthing similar. i am putting a shifter froma 93 camaro into my 88 GTA, and a 98+ console. has anyone ever done the 4th gen shifter before? 85vortecTA did you ever finish it? i am hoping i will not have to take a BFH to my transmisssion tunnel. i would like to leave my car in a condition to be returned to stock at a later date if need be.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Monte Carlo
Engine: Blown 489
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" 370s
Originally Posted by Xophertony
i am currently attempting to do somthing similar. i am putting a shifter froma 93 camaro into my 88 GTA, and a 98+ console. has anyone ever done the 4th gen shifter before? 85vortecTA did you ever finish it? i am hoping i will not have to take a BFH to my transmisssion tunnel. i would like to leave my car in a condition to be returned to stock at a later date if need be.
i would like to know if it would be ok if you used an 4th gen auto console, and used the 4th gen auto shifter with it.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: ones that turn
Originally Posted by 85f-bird
After that's setup and properly hammered, get yourself a beer (it'll feel good) then move onto the next step.
You cant forget this step it is the most important