Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Touch up paint question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch up paint question

Hi Everyone,
I have a glossy black 86 TA. THe paint overall is in very good condition. Here is my issue. I have about a fist size spot of rust on the fender. It has bubbled underneath the paint. I have confidence I can sand the rust and repair the rotted metal. My question to all you, since I have little to no experience painting, is can I touch it up and blend it into my existing paint with a rattle can from an auto store? If so, can anyone give me some direction on how to prep the area after the rust is fixed and what type of paint to use? I would assume I would also need a clear coat on top of it.

I know black is pretty hard to match. Just wondering if I should pay the body shop down the street the $200 they want to fix. I am not a perfectionist but I don't want a huge obvious repair stain on the car.

Thanks for any advice in advance.......
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

Car: 82 Pontiac Firebird s/e
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: TH200C
It's sad to see that no matter where you live in the world, getting re painting done is expensive. Where is the rust spot, is it below the line on the fender?. Just thinking it would be easier to camouflage if it was. With a rattle can you will get orange peel and it's hard to get a good finish. I used a buffer and machine polish on a section I done with a rattle can and it came out very well. But between getting a buffer, machine polish and paint it cost a fair bit.
It's a tough call, a pro job is better and more durable but they will probably have to re paint the whole fender and will that match the original paint very well. With a rattle can you really need to buff it. I used stuff by 3M which smooths the paint and also polishes it and brings up a really good shine. But buffers are pretty expensive unless you can get the loan of one.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Thanks for your info. Unfortunately, It is right above the dividing line of the fender (above the door trim).

I guess it is a hard call..I will have to think about and see how daring I am...

Thanks again for your input....