Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

strut towers and subframe connector rot

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strut towers and subframe connector rot

when the metal around the strut towers starts to rot through, how long is there before i should start freaking out? and how should i repair it? mine seem to be ok at the moment, like a 2 inch line going around the bottom of the beefier metal on the pass side and just startin on the driver side.
also, my subframe connector (the piece of metal that the bars for the rear axle connect into cant think of what their called at the moment....) on the pass side is starting to rot through also, again, when should i be concerned and how should i fix it? i know the ole rivet some sheet metal wont work for these, barely workin for what i already did on the rocker panels . i can get pics if anyone needs them to help me out with this.
thanx in advance for your help:hail:
hellraiser
Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
i'd start to worry now, if the strut tower rots through your s.o.l.

and as far as the subframe goes i'd start to see just how bad it goes.when it gets to bad theres not much you can do
Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM

yeah thats what i was thinkin.... my old 84 firebird went all the way thru and if u pushed it down like doin a spring test the metal would go with it. would there be a way to weld in some metal there and like attach it to the thick metal that holds the strut in and find some metal still intact and connect it all, kinda like what it was b4? if theres a way of fixin it id be glad to hear it, i hate to lose a 3rd thirdgen cuz of this issue
hellraiser
Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
well anythings possible it just costs money, if you really love your car might wanna look into cutting the affected area outta a junked car and welding it into your car. granted it will make the car weaker but with the proper welding i'm sur eit could be done well