Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

help i need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 355 chevy power
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: standard
help i need some answers

ok i sanded down my pillers on my 91 camaro as they had some rust spots on it and i went all the waythrough. now i need to know what would be bertter for the car a lead fill or bondo. also i need some t top seals acually just one side seal if possible. thanx for looking
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 PM

I can't help you on the body work since I'm cerebrally-challenged in that area, but you can get the t-top seals (I assume that you mean weatherstripping) from the dealer still. I got mine for $107 per side, but I get a 30% discount because I practically have my paychecks direct-deposited at the dealership

I don't have an answer for you if you mean the t-top rubber strip that overlaps the window; that would be an actual t-top component, and my dealer tells me that they can't get individual t-top components...just the entire top at $700 each

- 89_IROC
Old 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
All the top seal components can be bought seperate. Check my sig for p/n's.
The rubber awning (on the t-top, hangs over the window like 89 stated) is no longer available. They only come as the revised plastic design now (solves the front and back 'deforming' away from the top). The new body seals are also of the upgraded design and are designed to help prevent leaks where the top seal meets the body seal.
You can get a GM kit for both sides from tacreations (or the dealer, etc. I guess) for $280, probably the best route to take to assure all the seals match each other. JMO though...
Old 08-18-2004, 08:35 PM

deadbird, in a word...:yourock:

Well, that was a couple of words. Heh. Thanks for providing those P/Ns; those t-top "awning" strips are going to save me some serious bucks if I decide to not go with a new set of NOS tops. Do you know if new tops would have the revised awning strips? If they do, I'll probably just get them instead of the entire top...depends on how the rest of my plastic looks.

- 89_IROC
Old 08-18-2004, 10:56 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 355 chevy power
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: standard
yea i put together my car

i put it all back together with the ripped seal and all and i guess ill have to get a new side. sucks but it will have to do.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
what are the P/N's for outer door glass wiper rubber seals ?

for 82 firebirds

and where from?

bnest deal on them right now ?

mine are trashed missing huge sections of them

inner ones are warped not straight but cant do anything about that unless someone knows a fix ?

thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
get metal from local body shop same guage as your metal you can buy it cheap, cut out the rust holes in a shape that you can cut out with new metal but stay as close to the rust through as you can without leaving any rust,
rough sand backside of panel you are repairing if you can get to it! get all that rust off if its just surface rust left, if not then you need to cut more off the car!

trim a new piece of metal to fit inside the hole you cut out of the panel you are repairing make it fit as tight as you can without any over or underlapping at all, make it sit inside the hole flush everywhere all around the perimeter, use flat magnets to keep it in place, get mig welder out and tack it in palce in several places, move or remove magnets as needed

do some adjusting with tap hammer/dolly as needed, sink and grind down the welds til flush or hair under flush a tiny hair, use some lightweight filler and smooth over, sand down a little til feesl good and flat and not too high, primer and wetsand several times

coat the **** out of inside the panel where you welded and rough sanded off any surface rust

paint car or panel body color

i have to do this in several places on the 82, once i get some $$ saved up, i have access to plasma and wire feeds and grinders and a car lift, and big air compresser and orbital sanders and spray guns and all and i can get paint for good deals, dupont that is, i could even hire paintjob by a full time body mani know for pretty cheap and get tips form him and also from a neighborhood bodyman who retired from such work and also another guy who knows how to do all this who is not retired yet

the trans am will be badass exterior, interior and exhaust will be the trouble,,,,,

good luck with yours
Old 08-19-2004, 05:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by 89_IROC_98U
Thanks for providing those P/Ns; those t-top "awning" strips are going to save me some serious bucks if I decide to not go with a new set of NOS tops. Do you know if new tops would have the revised awning strips?
N/p 89. I not sure what you are asking though. Are you planning to just buy new tops outright ? I couldn't tell you if new tops came complete but, I'd have to assume yes just due to the outrageous price of them.
Here's a scan of how the awning are installed.. http://www.deadbird.org/z/ttopawning.gif

Fast... The p/n's for the belt weatherstrip between the door and glass can be found under door->inner components on my site. IIRC I paid $60-70 shipped for mine from GMPartsDirect. I pissed away $10 less on JCWhitney seals. By pissed away I mean, they didn't fit anywhere close to OEM and are now part of the landfill.

You can also check out newgmparts.com (or parts.com to select a different GM dealer). They are all part of the tradmotion parts network though. NewGMParts shows list (what you pay at a local dealership) and dealer cost (what an insurance company would pay). You can get dealer cost from a local dealer if you argue just right (IE: the insurance quote says $x.xx). GMPartsDirect sells wholesale and makes thier $$ through costly shipping though, it's still under dealer cost 90% of the time (even if it's just a buck or two). Pick your poison

If you feel the need for other than OEM.. best of luck to you on finidng somthing that has the same fit/finish as OEM.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by deadbird
N/p 89. I not sure what you are asking though. Are you planning to just buy new tops outright ?
I was planning on buying a new set of tops, and they are complete (they'd better be for $1400 per set). I really might as well; why half-*** a full restoration by using old glass? It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm a perfectionist like that

- 89_IROC
Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by 89_IROC_98U
why half-*** a full restoration by using old glass? It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm a perfectionist like that

- 89_IROC [/B]
I fully understand the thought but, if you can restore the glass (small scratches/waterspotting) for $35 ( http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/sea...d=glass+polish ) plus cost of seals, it would be more economical to do that and spent the other $1k+ on better restoration pieces parts other than just a small piece of glass... just my opinion though ...
Old 08-19-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by deadbird
I fully understand the thought but, if you can restore the galss (small scratches/waterspotting) for $35 ( http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/sea...d=glass+polish ) plus cost of seals, it would be more economical to do that and spent the other $1k+ on better restoration pieces parts other than just a small piece of glass... just my opinion though ...
...or, for the $1k savings, I could employ you as my restoration consultant

Thanks for the tips

- 89_IROC
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 PM
TGO Supporter

lol... I think the $1k might be better spent on the car (it probably doesn't drink the amount of frosty beverages I do either )