Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Just a Couple Corvette Taillight and Notchback Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a Couple Corvette Taillight and Notchback Questions...

Ok...I have a couple small questions that I dont think have ever been talked about yet.BTW please dont say search because I have looked for the past two hours.

For the Vette taillights.How could I smooth the look on the side so the car doesnt have the old taillight shape to it?(Sorta like the car in the third post inthis topic.)You could probally glass it in right?But the problem would be changing bulbs.How would you go about doing that?Do the lenses unscrew from the outside?

As for the Notchback do they pop up like a regular hatch or are they hooked down somehow?If I am not mistaken they pop.If they dont pop up then the next question isnt a problem because likewise with the Corvette lights I would want to smooth the look out.If it does pop then couldent I still just glass down the notchback part and put stuff in the trunk through the rear seat fold down?I cant remember if there is enough room or not.If that isnt a good plan then how tight do they close?I just dont want a big gap.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
i don't know about how the lights are set up, how you remove them, but if you glass them in, you could run into some problems with cracking where the glass meets the metal quarter panel. i know people have had very bad luck trying to use glass to fill in the seems on gfx, i would imagine this would be the same.

as for the notchback, it lifts the same as a regular hatch. actually, i believe the repro's even use the stock hatch struts.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
The GTA Notchback hatch latches and hinges just as a standard glass hatch. It also uses the same hatch struts to hold it up. I'm not sure on the gas pressure required yet, since I haven't installed mine yet.

You may have a tough time finding either the 88 GTA notchback hatch (only 625 GTA notchbacks produced) or the aftermarket fiberglass hatch (I see the manufacturer has discontinued offering the item and is trying to sell off the tooling). Hawkes get them from this manufacturer, yet doesn't show it as discontinued on their web site yet. They may have one in stock. I don't know why they call the aftermarket one a GTA Notchback since it looks nothing like the OEM version (which I preferred). If you like the flying buttress sides coming down the back then go for it. It's just not my style. I prefer the look of the OEM GTA notchback.

Lon
Old 08-11-2004, 09:22 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 169 Likes on 124 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
From talking to Bruce (Hawks) It seemed to me as if he had is own glass guy. GTAuto I think is no longer. From my understanding George (the owner) got into some kind of Trouble, not sure what tho.

Hawks Notchback is subposed to be similar to the original 1988/89 GTA style notchback, BUT there is no ridge down the middle of the hatch like the stock ones.

Give hawk a call...

As for your tailights, you will probably need more than just bondo to fill it in, I would recommend getting some fiberglass or graphite cloth, to hold it together.

John
Old 08-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Car: 82 z28
Engine: 400ci 450hp
Check out this thread https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=241578
there is a couple of photoshops done showing something similiar on the tail lights.

Also I have the notch hatch from Motion performance and it just bolts up like the original hatch and uses the same mounting points and latch.
Attached Thumbnails Just a Couple Corvette Taillight and Notchback Questions...-camaro3.jpg  
Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 AM

Car: 82 z28
Engine: 400ci 450hp
Also thers is a guy selling the same hatch in the classifieds. here is the link to the add
https://www.thirdgen.org/classifieds...tgo?adid=48813

Also here is a better photoshop on the rear section

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...=corvette+rear

Last edited by mykxt202; 08-11-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 AM

So for the taillights could a piece of metal be welded into the triangle part on the quarter?Then just cut the triangle parts out of the Corvette taillight panel?Would that be possible?Then even if I couldent fill in the lines on the taillights at least the taillight opening would have a rectangle shaped opening instead of triangled ends.I just think that it doesnt look good when you have vette lights and the same Camaro shaped opening left IMO.

Now about the notch I got thinking that it isnt a very good idea to totally close up the hatch especially if I ever want to change back to a regular hatch.Same would be for the taillight metalworking I mentioned above but that wouldent be as hard.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
theres a kid around here with a red 89 camaro convertible..
he did the vette light swap, then filled the crack with bondo from a can.. a cheeze wiz kind of can.

looks like crap.

i just hate how people mistake my car for his.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:41 AM

I was just looking over the pics on the page I linked and a picture of(I think)The Wraith's car and he doesnt have a notchback.

It might be alot to ask but can someone show me a picture or foto shop a picture of a 3rd gen with the corvette taillights,no notchback and the high style Z wing?I am just playing around with the idea right now about the hatch but I am pretty sure I want the Corvette taillights.

Ron
Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by ThirdGenPOS
So for the taillights could a piece of metal be welded into the triangle part on the quarter?Then just cut the triangle parts out of the Corvette taillight panel?Would that be possible?Then even if I couldent fill in the lines on the taillights at least the taillight opening would have a rectangle shaped opening instead of triangled ends.I just think that it doesnt look good when you have vette lights and the same Camaro shaped opening left IMO.
If you're going that far why not just cover over the whole tailight and section and just cut out hole for the vette lenses? Then you could add reverse lights and corner lights so you can see and are legal...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA Notchback
Engine: 305ci, 5.0L, TPI, HO
Transmission: Borg Warner T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt Positraction Rear w/3.45 Grs
Did someone say NOTCHBACK! :rockon: