Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: auto
Is this right?

I just got back from a collision shop in my area, Ultimate Collision, and asked about getting my rust professionally removed (which nobody will touch around here). The guy won't do it. Every other place I go to says the same thing.. "We don't do rust!" Does anyone know of a place in NJ that'll help me with this?

Also, while I was there I asked about paint. He said it'd cost $4500 to do my car and that anywhere that does it cheaper isn't good quality. Is it possible to get a good quality job done for cheaper, cuz that seems pretty steep.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans Am
Engine: chevy 350
Transmission: 700R4
jesus H christ! 4,500 for a paint job!? yea if you get a showclass paint job.

I don't know just how good a quality u wan't but I would go the macco route, like $400 for a decent paintjob.

I have no idea on the rust though.

4,500.....for paint... U could get a killer turbo setup for ur motor with that much cash ROFLMAO.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:38 PM

I would say don't go there if you have any respect at all for your car; any business that blatantly backstabs competitors like that raises a huge, billowing red flag. Take it out-of-town if you have to; I always have my work done somewhere else (mainly because I live in a military town). Just my

- 89_IROC
Old 08-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
Holy highway robbery Batman!! $4500?? Run away, and run fast lol. I know it depends on geographical locations and all, but I know there should be someone around that can shoot it, jambs and all for around $1500-$2000, less than a grand if you just want the body and no jambs.

That $4500 better include all the rust removal with new panels, free detailing for the next 5 years and the paint work lol.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:48 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
4500 is'nt a lot for paint. Think about it, for a $1000, that covers the primer, paint, clear, and materials with a little left over. they have to make a profit somewhere. But, DO NOT GOTO MACCO OR EARL's. Its a P.O.S. paint job.

I've been quoted at 3 different places for a paint job. Some want as much as 8k. But I choose to goto the 3k-5k route paint job at a place nearby. They take it down to baremetal and paint it the right way. I have seen their work and its amazing. Also, my friends family is friends with the guy so I know he'll be using the "good stuff." But 4500 could be the right price if they are taking it down to bare metal and disassembling the whole thing to paint it, ect.

also, what kind of rust removal should "they be required to do." If it was a 1/4 panel, expect to pay around 1k without paint. And... If it was floorboards, thats another thing.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Dirtbik3r
4500 is'nt a lot for paint. Think about it, for a $1000, that covers the primer, paint, clear, and materials with a little left over. they have to make a profit somewhere. But, DO NOT GOTO MACCO OR EARL's. Its a P.O.S. paint job.
p.o.s. my ***, macco does good work around where I'm from, my friend got a 600 buck macco job on his Fiebird and it came out very nice.

1000 for paint primer etc. is too much, Me and my friends made a paint booth in his garage and we re-painted our cars a while ago w/ a compressor & a gravity gun, and we each spent a total of around 400 in material.

Your paying 1000 in paint for the name brand, not the paint.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro SC (Supercool)
Engine: one composed of various metals
Im payin around 4500 at this moment for new paint...going with a ppg apple red w/ gold flake. They're doin door jambs and taking off the majority of panels to refit them and make them flush (some parts have sagged over the years) It also includes body repair, and rust removal (where needed)....no bondo either
Old 08-07-2004, 08:53 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I was wondering why you kept talking about Maaco being good. Now I understand... You created your own paint booth and think the paint came out good! You have no eye for quality.

$4500 is a price for a good paintjob. It won't be ultimate show quality but it should be a really good job. You can get decent jobs for about $2500. a $2500 paint job should be comparable to the factory finish with very minor flaws. The 4500 job will include wetsanding and buff to a gloss finish with the jambs done and almost no sign that the car was ever painted.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by scottmoyer
I was wondering why you kept talking about Maaco being good. Now I understand... You created your own paint booth and think the paint came out good! You have no eye for quality.

$4500 is a price for a good paintjob. It won't be ultimate show quality but it should be a really good job. You can get decent jobs for about $2500. a $2500 paint job should be comparable to the factory finish with very minor flaws. The 4500 job will include wetsanding and buff to a gloss finish with the jambs done and almost no sign that the car was ever painted.
THANK YOU:hail:
Old 08-07-2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by scottmoyer

$4500 is a price for a good paintjob. It won't be ultimate show quality but it should be a really good job. You can get decent jobs for about $2500.
I guess it's personal prefference, I would rather spend $400 on paint and 4k on my motor, that way I would be fast w/ a good looking paint job instead of the opposite. Unless you have a fat wallet and can blow money like that.

here is an IROC_Z we painted in our booth "$350 in materials"

Here is my friend bird with a maaco job.

Here is my old camaro that had one of those 3k paint jobs on it.

I don't know quality? I see no difference. thank you, drive through.

Last edited by 85VortecTA; 08-07-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:39 PM

THANK YOU:hail:

bite me a$$ clown.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:44 PM

Your the one who first shot down what I said. Whats the matter? Don't like it when people do it to you? Well shut it.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:46 PM

Your the one who first shot down what I said. Whats the matter? Don't like it when people do it to you? Well shut it.
I never disagreed with you, I just posted my own opinion, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion right? Last time I checked I was.

Let's stomp it before the thread gets locked. But I do know quality LOL.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Then we agree to disagree.

Anyway, when you painted your car(s) with your friends in your home made paint booth, did you strip them to bare metal or just scuff up the paint? That could make a world of difference of a paint estimate. Also, Quality consists of more than just looks. For example, did you include durability into your quality statement?

But I ain't picking on you or criticising your opinion. The "thank you" post was meant to mean that scottmoyer included some of the information I was going to post. And yes, the macco paint jobs over here(NY) are a P.O.S. Ask anyone from around my area. Macco just sprays, they're prep work consists of scuffing up old paint and simply just spraying over rust and not fixing it.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:15 PM

Then we agree to disagree.

Anyway, when you painted your car(s) with your friends in your home made paint booth, did you strip them to bare metal or just scuff up the paint? That could make a world of difference of a paint estimate. Also, Quality consists of more than just looks. For example, did you include durability into your quality statement?

But I ain't picking on you or criticising your opinion. The "thank you" post was meant to mean that scottmoyer included some of the information I was going to post. And yes, the macco paint jobs over here(NY) are a P.O.S. Ask anyone from around my area. Macco just sprays, they're prep work consists of scuffing up old paint and simply just spraying over rust and not fixing it.
We just scuffed up the paint and spray over it LOL, but we fixed all dents, dings and took care of what little rust, if any there was " I live in Tucson, dryest place on Earth." We used flex agent when painting the bumpers so no spider cracking. So we we do a good job painting, bu we don't bother sanding to bare metal. Just look @ the iroc-z and then look @ my old camaro, the paint quality loosk the same, that's all that matter to us.

Sorry your maaco sucks dude, there are a couple of maacos her but there is only one we would get our cars painted @ because we prep the car ourselves before we take it in, and as long as we do that they give us a good paint job. You are very right when you say maaco is a very ****ty pepper.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85z28,
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
I know in the shop i work at u are going to pay atleast 5000 for a paint job. But We take out all the lights,handles,glass,etcetc.And use sikens paint. $400 bucks to paint a car.Were u all buy buying tape,sandpaper,paper.and all the other stuff to paint a car. I'm doing my car now In primer,paint,clear,tape,sandpaper,masking paper,plastic,scuff pads, I'm up to like a grand. And I'm getting the stuff at body shop cost.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:49 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
As I look at the bumper of that black IROC-Z, I see a rough finish, not smooth. I don't see a consistant reflection. There's too much orange peel. It looks like a Maaco paint job. I agree with the last post. The materials alone should cost you more than $400.

You get what you pay for and if you don't see a difference in finish, then my original statement that you don't have an eye for quality still stands. Cheap paint will still paint the car, but it won't flow as nicely. Earl Scheib and Maaco are known for getting a quick paint and short term shine. That's all you've done here. I don't have money to throw away, but when I do something, I do it right the first time. It might cost me more now, but in the end, I'm ahead of the game.

Here's what the original paint looks like. Most people that want to spend the money on a painjob would like to get it close to or better than factory.
Attached Thumbnails Is this right?-louvers.jpg  
Old 08-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Ok I'll post with my origional handle, then you guys might not take me for som smart *** newbie. Yes I used to b a moderator..

For u to tell me I don't know quality is the funniest thing I ever heard, I know there is a difference with a 4000 paint job and a 400 paint job, hell for one you get under the hood painted and the inside of th doors etc. we don't do that because we don't care. We build race cars, 12-10 second race cars, paint is the least thing on our minds. If you want a killer 10k paint job more power to you, but if you want something that will look good for a couple of years and longer if u take care of it then go my route. Oh my ***, I can't stare ino the paint for miles...who ****ing cares dude. Judging by the cars u own of course your gonna worry about paint and appearance, you have rare cars. I don't, own a primered TA now.

This is getting ridiculous, I think I'm gonna take a nap now.

Last edited by 5SIZ; 08-08-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91z28 and 88 SC thats for sale,in the sig
Engine: 305 TPI soon 383 stroker or 327
Transmission: t-5
1000 for supplies is just wrong. PPG sells paint in kits. all the primer,color and clear,with reducers and hardeners for 600. thats PPG, just about the best paint. you can get MBC for around 300 depending on color. all the rest is in labor. a small part of it is in supplies. but shops gets everything in bulk, so its cheap as hell for them.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91z28 and 88 SC thats for sale,in the sig
Engine: 305 TPI soon 383 stroker or 327
Transmission: t-5
oh and you can do quality in your damn garage. i have. ive done around 10 cars in garages. and it only costs me supplies. looks way better than mayco, better than most shops.
heres mt last one.
Attached Thumbnails Is this right?-pic-008.jpg  
Old 08-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

i have to agree with camarostud u can get a good paint jod in your garage.Have done about10 cars to. But i do have to disagree with u about the ppg paint. have u ever tried sikins i would have to say there are about the best unless u start getting into the high dollor paints like HOKs. Sikins was the first company to make B/C or the first in the USA. I used dupont nason its there lowerline of paint for the primer,paint,and,clear and all the act.and hardeners was 270.00 but when u add in sand paper,masking paper, bondo,glaze,wetsand paper, rubbing componds, buffer pads,(if u never buffed a car u will need) U are getting pretty close to 1000.00

Last edited by jay92,85,79; 08-08-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
1000 for supplies is just wrong. PPG sells paint in kits. all the primer,color and clear,with reducers and hardeners for 600. thats PPG, just about the best paint.
I'm sorry, that's just about the most rediculous statement I've ever heard. PPG is Garbage!!!

but shops gets everything in bulk, so its cheap as hell for them.
And to follow it up with a statement like that!!
Come over to my shop and I'll show you how cheap I can get my bulk supplies.
Better yet, You can pay my paint bill for a month since we can do everything so cheap.
Most of the posts have been about how the shops are ripping you off if they're charging you that much. How about asking some of the important questions... What will they be doing for that cash? Are you changing the color? New moldings? Complete dissassembly? New factory stripes? (We did a monte ss a couple years ago that cast 500.00 in just stripes)
Have you seen any of their work? If so was it quality?
Instead of flaming legitimate businesses, let's look at it for what it is, do any of you haggle for the price of milk? "No I'm sorry, I dont think 2% is worth 2.89 per gallon, I'll just give you a buck."
"My buddy makes his own milk for .15 cents!!!"
These guys work hard every day for HALF of the pay that a mechanic gets and the work is just as specialized,
Do you want some guy out of his garage guessing at the mix ratios, and how to prep a panel, or do you want a proffessional that has spent years and countless hours of training that knows what they are doing?
Check some of the posts that people are doing their own, find out how hard a complete is that is done correctly. (Jeff w's comes to mind...) ask him if it's worth it!!! or what he'd charge a non-friend, family member.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM

wow kevin, you must have a 20k paint job by the description under the avataar!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:34 PM

nope, just a ton of man -hours
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by KEVIN G.
nope, just a ton of man -hours
Fair enough.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:43 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: auto
I'm not exactly looking for a world-class paint job. I just want a decent job done that I can still afford. I'm sure that for $4500 i could get a supreme job done, but my question is can I get a more affordable one that still looks good. I don't have a lot of money so while I want something I can afford, I also want it to look good and last. PLus, I've never painted a car before so I want it done profesionally. If I can get a good one for $2000-2500 I can use that other 2k for performance investments.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:32 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed
Maaco in Ottawa, Canada

I had my 76 Coupe De Ville stripped to the bare metal and redone (Off White) at Maaco this spring. Fixed the rust spots and I can honestly say I am quite happy with the job they did.
$1200 Canadian. Whats the rate today? $0.76...about?
So that would be about $900 and some change in the US.
My opinion anyway. For the price, they do a good job.
I'm going to get a quote for my Z (although I'm prepared to pay a lot more to get that painted) next spring as my front gfx is so chipped up right now. Most people can't tell, but it makes a big difference to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Sorry guys, the days of the 800.00 paint job are gone.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

KEVIN G. u said it. I have beendoing body work in a shop now for 7 years. I'm I car trained and ase. So not only are paying for the paint and other stuff u are paying for what i know. I work a hole lot harder than a lawery or most any other line of work. I just did my car if I were going to do someones car as sidework I would start at 2000. And if they wanted black add about another grand. U know its funny bodyguys and painters are like the only line of work were people want it done cheap or think it cost to much. Have a plumber come to your house or have a roof put on. U don't say they are to high u ight think they are but u still pay cuz u want it to last. More than a few years.same with a car.But i do think right now shops arehurting for work ( well at least in IL they are) so I think if u took most of the car apart and maybe did some of your prep work u should be able to get your car done for 2500. I might not be a show car. But should look pretty good. And macco well the ones around here are not that great.There may be a few guys that are good painters and bodyguys.But they make about 10% less than the guys in better shops. So in other words less money less time and care they are going to put in your car.

Last edited by jay92,85,79; 08-09-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:38 PM

U know its funny bodyguys and painters are like the only line of work were people want it done cheap or think it cost to much.
Exactly right Jay,
My brother (who has also been in the business forever,) used to say people will spend all kinds of cash on the engine and s**t, but they think that bodywork is either not specialized, or just not worth it!!!!
But, the people that want to cut corners are the first ones to bitch about the quality and if something fails down the road!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 1991 305 TBI
Transmission: Th700-R4
Stupid question, but what's "orange peel"?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by jovial86
Stupid question, but what's "orange peel"?
There's no such thing as a stupid question, my man. Orange peel is just that...a paint job that looks (literally) like the surface of an orange. I have no idea what causes it, but I know what it looks like

- 89_IROC
Old 08-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Take everything off your car and gut the interior, do all the prep work, buy all the paint and supplies and bring it down to Charlotte, NC and I'll paint it for $600. By that time you'll still have about $2000. That still does not include major rust removal, how bad off is it? If it needs a 1/4 panel that is why they want $4500, you'll pay atleast $1500 to have anyone do a halfway decent job replacing one of those.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
I'll deff agree on the $800 paint jobs are gone reply.

Just good suplies are more then that. I'm looking at $1200ish on my HOK supplies.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:37 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5
LostInSpace... where you from im from edison i know a couple of people around here at maacos that do a good job... also if you need any body work done that you cant do im willing to do it for you granted its not a 1/4 that needs to be done, i just got done fixing the body on my car and now its complete primer ready for paint this week or next... drop me a PM if you want to chat of "gagneprotege" on AIM... peace BIACH

EDIT: BTW ultimate collision is one of the most expensive places around here and IMO they do good work but not THAT good... you should be looking anywhere from 1500-2500 to get your car painted properly

Last edited by 90FormulaWS6; 08-10-2004 at 03:39 PM.