Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

qiuck fender paint ques..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 PM
grndmasnightmar

qiuck fender paint ques..

ive been looking for an hour searching i just want a quick run down of repainting my fender....i will be rattlecanning it i just want to know what grit sandpaper to use, how many coats of primer paint and clear. and at what times should i sand it also..can i use the same technique for my hood? like i said you dont need to kill yourself elaborating just a quick list of steps.....i know its been covered but i cant seem to pull it up from a search clearly.. Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
Re: qiuck fender paint ques..

Originally posted by grndmasnightmar
ii will be rattlecanning it

why worry about it if your just gonna spraypaint it anyway just sand it with some 1000 grit and spray it down its gonna look like **** anyway with a rattle can
Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 ford mustang gt
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: tremec t-5
try painting something else befor you rattlecan your fender or hood, ive done my rims and my spoiler, they came out a superbe job for the rattle can, i wouldnt say its automotive body shop quality paint job, but i made my paint match very well, its the same shade of red and its got quite a nice deep shine to it, the first time i did my spoiler it came out horribly, it was orange peeled all the way across and very VERY dull, you need to find your distance so you get a nice wet application so it doesnt orange peel, i only wet sanded it befor the first spray of paint, oh and i also used a tach rag or whatever there called on it so the paint would be clean and easy for more paint to bond to it, use LOTS of clear coat if you want it to look good, i dont remmeber how many times i sprayed my soiler or rims, but i know i put more clear coat than red paint, my car is red, if done right it should look fine, but if you want a showcar i wouldnt do it yourself casue it wont be perfect no matter how well it comes out, and it can come out very well, so not to discourage you
Old 08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
grndmasnightmar

thanks for the help

also what grit sand paper should i use initially and then what grit ahould i use between coats?