Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

more full repain questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more full repain questions

Sorry guys, I am really new to this and planning to start work very soon.

These should be easy. I am still trying to figure out how I am actually going to do this thing. I am repainting the entire car from red to black. I know I have to take doors/hatch off to paint door jams and such.

- Should I paint removable parts on or off the car? (doors, hatch, fenders, hood...). Or should I put everything back together and then paint the exterior?

- If I put everything back together, how would the door jam areas (other crevises[sp?]) overlap with new coats when I'll be doing exterior?

- What is a typical timeframe for all of this? If I start removing old paint (not sure about old primer yet) and then do body work and rust repair, how long can the car sit like that?

- After I prime, how long do I have before car has to be painted? Same question for paint to clearcoat? Can the car sit only primed for a long time?

- I am hoping the windshield does not have to come off. Are these hopes reasonable?

I have a 70 pint dehumidifier in the garage with supposedly keeps humidity at constant 55%, so that should help somewhat
Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
1.&2 take off all panls hood doors ect, jam em all out with the new color. paint body shell with new color. rehang all your parts and paint the car as one complete unit, use the special tape for jams to prevent overspray, you could paint the parts off the car if your not using metalic pearl or candy paints.

3. i have been working on mine for a good full year, entire project has been 3 years.

4. depends on paint process (brand)and where car is i am asuming in the garage and always in the garage, if it goes out to the weather it will rust when sanded and the primer will soak up the water and rust under the primer. House of kolor give me 1-24 hours to base coat hok sales said 6 is the real safe cut off. if longer ou have to skuff and respray. once base starts you have to use the tech sheets for coat and dry times.

5. my windshield is in but i took the trim off and taped the window. i destroyed the trim taking it off but i can get a new aftermarket from the glass company.

6 tempature is more important than humidity. unless its raining humidity just affects your dry time.

check my project for more tips. Project resurection 6 parts so far.

jeff
Old 08-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Few comments (questions)

1&2. When you paint jams do you use 2 stage system like the rest of the car (color + clear), or do you stick with 1 stage.

a) If 2 stage, do you do several layers of color and then several layers of clear just like you would the rest of the body? Then when you put all the panels back, paint shouldn't go on top of the clear where the 2 spray sessions overlay, right?

b) If 1 stage. Means I have to buy 2 different types of paint. Shouldn't be a problem. Can I overlap the two types of paint after panels are back on?

3&4. If it takes 24 hours between prime and painting, which part takes 1 year? I assume it is prepping the body, right? So once you take the rust off, do you just have bare metal while you are working on the next part?

If the car is always in the garage, how long can it sit primed?

5. Is taking trim off necessary? or can you just mask it off?

6. Before I got the dehumidifier, I would come in and the car would have rust bubbles on the bottom (where the water collected and evaporated, leaving empty rust shell). When I started working on the car, I didn't want extra moisture going through the primer.

Thanks. Sorry for the obvious (I am sure they are), but I just want the plan to be as clear as possible before I start.

I will definitely search for all your resurection posts
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: candy blue 85 z28
Engine: 305 tpi LB9
Transmission: 700r4 crazy beefed up one
Axle/Gears: ones with teeth
1 yes use the same paint for the entire job just mix what you need at the time of use.

2 depends on manufacture specs again. if you jamb the car first and then attach panels you use special jamp tape that protects the door jambs and hood jams from over spray.

3 stage 1 paint is clear and color in one. as long as it is the same product no bigy again you would tape off painted areas to protect from overspray.

4. i have been working on weekends as weather and time permits. it could be done in a couple week depending on your time and paint process used.

5 car is in garage that is good protect your bare metal if you have mosture problmes. once epoxy primed or etch primed it can sit as long as you need just be aware of rust or water and changes in paint color.

6. take off trim if you want the best job or take you time with really good 3m tape not the hardware type tape. body side moldings ect... headlights tail lights markers ect...

good luck control that moisture......