Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

'87 Berlinetta Dash in a '92 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
'87 Berlinetta Dash in a '92 RS

I when I drove my RS back from philly, I noticed some oddities in the gauges, the Oil Pressure gauge's needle flutters so does the tach (after it was freed, the needle was pinched between the gauge's face & the dash inlay), and now it seems as though the fuel gage has three positions, Full, Half Full, and Bone Dry. Not to mention the massive whole that one of the previous owner's carved in the passenger side for the Graphic EQ that he used with his stereo. There are also some issues with the center console, someone drilled holes in it for some sort of radar detector and the mechanism that keeps the glove box lid from opening to far is rather busticated. So I found some toys on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

I found these about 20hrs before the auction ended so I didn't have time to research, I've been doing that while I wait for the things to get here (which they did today). Now, I've got these things sitting in the garage and I'm beginning to doubt that they'll fit/work after digging up what (little) information I could about this.

My main motivation for buying this stuff is listed above, but I'd also like cupholders and I think the A/C controls on the '87 dash will let me do that I think (I'm not a big stereo guy either). But I'm starting to doubt that it'll work. I'm just looking for pointers & other information as to whether this could possibly work, I'll probably at least give it a try this weekend, but any input would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I installed a '91 Trans Am dash and center console in an '84 Camaro SC.
I only had one problem. The upper mounts for the dash on the '91 used bolts. The '84 dash didn't use bolts, it just slid onto the dash mounts. I pulled the mounts out of the '91 and tacked them into the '84 and hooked everything up.
Other than the dash mounts it was just keeping track of all the wiring to connect it back up. But I also pulled most of the wire harness from the Trans Am, that made it easier to wire everything back up.